Mars Mercenary v1.2: Smooth Operator

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
That0neBr075

Mars Mercenary v1.2: Smooth Operator

Post by That0neBr075 »

Oi, you there. Some blokes named UAC from an alternate reality are having some kind of demon infestation problem. Pay's good, plus you get extra for having to hop realities to render services. You know what to do,

A weapon mod focusing on fast, powerful tools to overpower and overwhelm demons with.

Features 12 different weapons, all of which feature alt-fires.
Most weapons utilize mag-based reloads, so watch your ammo counter, lest you accidentally dump an almost full mag!
Weapon List:
Spoiler:
Screenies:

Maps Shown:
Back To Saturn X Ep. 1
Elysium's Curse
Good Morning Phobos

Gameplay Trailer/vid coming soon-ish. Probably.

A list of other mods that compliment this one rather well:
Xaser's Damage Numbers (Weapons even have cool colored numbers specific to their damage type!)

Sun Damage Omen Enemies (Balances out the more overpowered nature of this mod quite well.)

DRLA Monsters (Adds more far more variety to your adversaries.)

Nashgore VE (Many of the weapons reliably gib enemies so yknow) :biggrin:

MAIN DOWNLOAD

Quake Movement Patch
(load patch after main file.)
As always, full Credits list in the Main Download's PK3.

V1.2 Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by That0neBr075 on Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Mars Mercenary v1

Post by kalensar »

Tried it out and its pretty fun. One problem though. The GunFlashes dont turn off on the Flash State for at least the pistol, a common mistake thats easy to fix with Goto Lightdone.
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

Very enjoyable, the only odd thing I noticed was that weapons dropped by enemies don't always give ammo (which on itself isn't that bad, given the weapons are a bit more powerful than usual). If you'd like to keep monsters from dropping guns that's alright, but the chance for them to drop ammo should either be more common or outright guaranteed.

The plasma pistol probably could have its recoil lessened or removed as that discourages you from spamming the trigger, which would be fine if the damage on both were higher. Can go either way here! The rest of the guns are great, though, no real complaints aside from the weird and quite loud sound the frag shotgun makes before firing - that could be lowered for ear-preservation purposes.

Loving the sprites used in general, they feel quite fresh!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I agree this has a nice fresh feel to it. It all seems pretty slick and good-looking too. Bonus points from me for centred weapons. :thumb:
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I downloaded it thinking it was an overpowered weapons mod, it wasn't but I ended up liking everything I saw here, the weapons are very good.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

That shotgun is super satisfying to use, nice punchy sound.

Great stuff!
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

its a good mod, definitely fun, interesting weapon mechanics, nice sounds

gonna have to agree tho that the plasma pistol is a bit on the underpowered side, so its not the best for Pistol starts

other than that, my only gripe is just some of the pickup sprites for ammo and guns
for the ammo some of em look fine, others look a bit flat shaded
weapons have similar issues, but also some face left while others face right

thats really it, i enjoyed the hour or so that i spent playin it, messed around with a few monster mods too alongside it
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

After a tiresome week, i could finally take this to give it a spin and i am really enjoying it!!!

I am very glad my works could serve as a reference both in the enemy pack and in the mod code as well! I'm very curious to see more of this and you did a great job making your mod unique. =)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Played with SDO enemies and... man. gotta hand it to you, this is a great simplistic weapon mod!
Going to try with colorful hell next.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This mod feels absolutely powerful with them weapons, especially with Frag Shotgun that goes subwoofer meme. And i love it
Gez

Post by Gez »

I want to suggest the name "Marsenary" but that's just my unquenchable love of terrible puns and portmanteaus.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Really appreciate the positive feedback. :D
Taking a bit of a break from doom modding atm to play through some games in my backlog, but rest assured I'm gonna work on and release a smaller QoL update sooner or later that'll add a lil' detail and polish here and there, as well as probably rework/rebalance the energy pistol, which I already have a few ideas for.
Again, ty for the feedback!
Gez wrote:I want to suggest the name "Marsenary" but that's just my unquenchable love of terrible puns and portmanteaus.
That'll almost certainly be referenced in said update, as I too have a fondness for terrible puns and portmanteaus.
omxgamer127
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by omxgamer127 »

Why not add a rocket launcher too?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Assault Launcher IS a Rocket Launcher. We do have plenty of weapons that go boom, too.
That0neBr075

Re: Mars Mercenary v1.1: Slightly Better Quality Marsenary

Post by That0neBr075 »

Small QoL/Balancing update. Changelog in OP.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”