ZZDoom 2.9.0

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
goldenmob72

Re: ZZDoom 2.9.0

Post by goldenmob72 »

Off-topic but, Do you plan on releasing a New version of LZDoom anytime soon ?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:It's up. Thanks @TDRR and @Redneckrz for testing.

https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases

I uploaded it last night. I've also updated ZDoom32 with some things from ZZDoom and other stuff.
Much appreciated! No worries about the testing, it was fun time. Should i also put it out at DoomWorld?

Great to see new life in these older codebases.

What did you change to ZDoom32?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've done it myself, i doubt there's interest though. Please refer to the ZDoom32 thread (not that i give many details there).
About LZDoom there's still a pending 3.88b release but i'm waiting for some upstream fixes. Besides i'm in serious trouble in real life, i live in Spain remember.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:I've done it myself, i doubt there's interest though. Please refer to the ZDoom32 thread (not that i give many details there).
About LZDoom there's still a pending 3.88b release but i'm waiting for some upstream fixes. Besides i'm in serious trouble in real life, i live in Spain remember.
Ofcourse there is interest, if people get all giddy up for a slimlined 2.8.1 build (RZDoom) then people surely will enjoy a modernized ZDoom with support for newish standards. Plus its stable.

No matter what ill include ZZDoom in my ports list and ill likely will use it quite a bit considering i do like the software renderer.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Redneckerz wrote: Ofcourse there is interest, if people get all giddy up for a slimlined 2.8.1 build (RZDoom) then people surely will enjoy a modernized ZDoom with support for newish standards. Plus its stable.

No matter what ill include ZZDoom in my ports list and ill likely will use it quite a bit considering i do like the software renderer.
I think you are totally overestimating that reaction on Doomworld. It was a handful of people who got some mild excitement, but this port will surely end up like any other attempt to revive the past: A small number of people may try it out, and lay it aside again. Drfrag's estimate appears to be a lot more grounded. You have to be realistic about these things. These ports are mainly fun to make but ultimately will remain a tiny, tiny niche never reaching any kind of critical mass.

You should also remember that the software renderer still exists in GZDoom 4.7 where due to better multithreading options it will run a lot faster than in any of these revival ports. Yes, even on 15 year old systems with only two cores.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote: I think you are totally overestimating that reaction on Doomworld. It was a handful of people who got some mild excitement, but this port will surely end up like any other attempt to revive the past: A small number of people may try it out, and lay it aside again. Drfrag's estimate appears to be a lot more grounded. You have to be realistic about these things. These ports are mainly fun to make but ultimately will remain a tiny, tiny niche never reaching any kind of critical mass.
Actually, it was more than i expected to be honest. Though its also quite damning that a very similar project gets a lot more attention just because one decided to design a logo for it.

I figured literally nobody else besides me or TDRR would be interested. Turns out it was just a little bit more :)

FWIW drfrag's line of forks do get regularly referenced, so if one does not enjoy you, there is always something else. There is always that base level of quality and ''it just works well'' on a myriad of hardware.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

TBH, that RZDoom thing was some very unrealistic first expectations. I'm still not sure where this is supposed to go, but my expectations with all these ports is the same: They are a blast from the past - interesting for a brief moment but afterward relegated to a small handful of people who seem to be stuck in a time loop.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

I really like this port, thanks for making it! Implements a few improvements I was really missing in 2.8.1 such as borderless fullscreen and console scaling.
One question though, do you plan on developing this port any further? I used to record a lot of demos for playtesting with 2.8.1 because it's the only demo "standard" that supports mouselook, chat, etc, but I could switch to ZZdoom for that purpose, if it's going to be "constant".

Return to “Game Engines”