Reduce PC performance for specifc program

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Apeirogon

Reduce PC performance for specifc program

Post by Apeirogon »

Is it possible to reduce performance of computer for one specific program? Or rather limit amount of hardware resources that are available for some program?

Like, for android development where its possible to simulate physical device in virtual machine with this fast cpu, this big ram and this powerful gpu.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Reduce PC performance for specifc program

Post by m8f »

The only thing I can think of is running it in a virtual machine.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There are many options available for you, but it depends on your use case. What do you need this for?
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Game development, wanna see how game would behave on old systems with celeron/radeon.

Currently we build and run debug version on our modellers "gamermodeller rig" with i7/2080/16(32 If we combine our memory)Gb, since its most powerful available PC at this time.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

You'll probably want to put some silly sleep loop in there and/or a gpu straining loop of nothing in the common texture shader to simulate a synthetic poor fillrate (if game uses shaders). You should also be able to underclock the GPU significantly (which should be a good idea for the aforementioned loop strain approach to keep it under load). Maybe use a VM like VirtualBox 6.0 but turn off all virtualization acceleration functions and limit the video memory to 64MB (assuming these radeons are 7500/9000 or so). It's not going to be perfect, but there's only so much you can do on the corporate software side to simulate a budget 200X computer situation.

Currently, nothing emulates a Radeon, and the era-appropriate Celerons that would house them and we don't have enough consumer CPU juice in the world to LLE both anyway. There'll probably be some critical showstopper for old platform support like compilers and libraries linking to W10 core libs anyhow.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Apeirogon wrote:Game development, wanna see how game would behave on old systems with celeron/radeon.

Currently we build and run debug version on our modellers "gamermodeller rig" with i7/2080/16(32 If we combine our memory)Gb, since its most powerful available PC at this time.
Your best bet would be to scour Ebay, Craiglist or what-it-may-be-called and such in search for those older components. Downgrading your (or any) rig only goes so far. Back in the days that I coded things, I did use Mo'Slo in order to slow things down (though the instruction set still existed) but that was for DOS systems. Yes, I am that old . . . :geek: :ugeek:
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Looks like I overdone joke with celeron/radeon.
I meant low end hardware, something like gt-6xx/7xx or intel i3/i5, to figure out what minimal system requirement should be, at least.

Return to “Off-Topic”