How can I actually start making decent maps?

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

How can I actually start making decent maps?

Post by yum13241 »

As of now, IK how to make doors and place things and such, ive made a working map, but not one that any of you would want to play through. I can't figure out how to make an exit in UDMF, and my maps always have something wrong like secret doors not working the way I want them to and such.

TL;DR, i'm a newb, and I need ideas and some (basic) advice, particularly with making exits.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: How can I actually start making decent maps?

Post by Kappes Buur »

yum13241 wrote:..... I need ideas and some (basic) advice, particularly with making exits.
Know Thy Editor ™ and, of course, what features are offered by the mapping format.
Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide

Have a close look at these two maps by Cabo_Fiambre in an editor. They are simple maps but show most of what you are looking for.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Kappes Buur wrote:
yum13241 wrote:..... I need ideas and some (basic) advice, particularly with making exits.
Know Thy Editor ™ and, of course, what features are offered by the mapping format.
Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide

Have a close look at these two maps by Cabo_Fiambre in an editor. They are simple maps but show most of what you are looking for.

You realize DB1 is very old, right? I'm using UDB.

Post by Guest »

I suggest you start with DB to as it is much simpler than UDB. there are for less options and so it we be easier for you to make a object do what you want it to do. You probably won't (and you shouldn't) start with 3D floors and slopes or other advanced stuf so just get rid of those options by using DB or just use UDB but just edit it in vanilla doom and not any advanced things.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

UDB can do Boom or, hell, even the ancient Doom Map Format. You don't have to start with UDMF right away or at all.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Let's not conflate "less options" with "easier". Options actually are inherently by design supposed to make things easier for you because you are tailoring the program to your own needs.

The issue with more options overwhelming a new user is when there is simply too many of them and they are not properly organized, and ones that are less relevant to the user aren't sorted out to an "advanced" menu of sorts.

You were right to begin with, yum13241 - you absolutely should start with UDB. Google "UDB tutorial" - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ultimate+doom ... fsb&ia=web - what one is right for you is something only you can determine.

Once you get comfortable with the program - google "Doom mapping tips" - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=doom+mapping+ ... fsb&ia=web
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

yum13241 wrote:You realize DB1 is very old, right? I'm using UDB.
Indeed I do realize that. :)
While the guide was written at the time when DB_1.68 was current, it is nonetheless still useful for any editor of the DB family. It is just that, throughout the development period of the DB editors, many features have been added.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Rachael wrote:Let's not conflate "less options" with "easier". Options actually are inherently by design supposed to make things easier for you because you are tailoring the program to your own needs.

The issue with more options overwhelming a new user is when there is simply too many of them and they are not properly organized, and ones that are less relevant to the user aren't sorted out to an "advanced" menu of sorts.

You were right to begin with, yum13241 - you absolutely should start with UDB. Google "UDB tutorial" - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ultimate+doom ... fsb&ia=web - what one is right for you is something only you can determine.

Once you get comfortable with the program - google "Doom mapping tips" - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=doom+mapping+ ... fsb&ia=web

You are saying:

Learn and use UDB (I am still using it).
Learn from mapping tutorials.
Learn to make an exit switch.
Edit some very basic maps.
Make my own.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Basically yeah. Mapping is a skill like anything else, and it requires practice to get good at is. Some people have a knack or innate talent, others (like me) have struggled with it for more than half our lives. But like artists and musicians and writers, the vast majority of successful mappers are generally the ones that stick with it and just keep making maps.

If I have one piece of specific advice, it would be to not get fixated on any single element of your mapping. For me, I have a bad habit of making a couple semi-interesting rooms, then spending a week detailing one of those rooms, and getting burned out on mapping because I can't keep up that level of energy for an entire map, let alone a map set.

8-)
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Caligari87 wrote:Basically yeah. Mapping is a skill like anything else, and it requires practice to get good at is. Some people have a knack or innate talent, others (like me) have struggled with it for more than half our lives. But like artists and musicians and writers, the vast majority of successful mappers are generally the ones that stick with it and just keep making maps.

If I have one piece of specific advice, it would be to not get fixated on any single element of your mapping. For me, I have a bad habit of making a couple semi-interesting rooms, then spending a week detailing one of those rooms, and getting burned out on mapping because I can't keep up that level of energy for an entire map, let alone a map set.

8-)

Noted.
boris

Post by boris »

Just being able to handle the tools and being able to build maps doesn't mean you can build good maps, unfortunately. Check out these videos, maybe they are helpful:

ANYONE can make a DOOM map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-5d10dCyQ

Quake Mapping Tips: Building Layouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4tWWiuaF7g (yes, it's for Quake, but it really applies to all level design)
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

boris wrote:Just being able to handle the tools and being able to build maps doesn't mean you can build good maps, unfortunately. Check out these videos, maybe they are helpful:

ANYONE can make a DOOM map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-5d10dCyQ

Quake Mapping Tips: Building Layouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4tWWiuaF7g (yes, it's for Quake, but it really applies to all level design)
Noted.
Razumen

Post by Razumen »

I use the wiki a LOT. It's been invaluable to me.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Other than that, practice practice practice. Make a simple map and try to learn one new thing at a time, don't need to go overboard-just because a map uses a lot of features doesn't mean it'll be good. Look at other maps, open them up and see how they tick. Try new ways to introduce enemy encounters. Level design itself is a skill that isn't exclusive to the level editor.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Firstly, define "Decent Maps".

Return to “Mapping”