Bouncing projectiles may fail to bounce off of 3D floors

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Bouncing projectiles may fail to bounce off of 3D floors

Post by Player701 »

It appears that with a particular setup of 3D floors, bouncing projectiles will sometimes fail to bounce off of them. Instead, they will explode. This may be exclusive to sloped 3D floors, although I haven't been able to confirm it so far.

I've encountered this bug in the beginning area of the map Warp House. However, since that map is particularly complex, I've copied the map parts that exhibit buggy behavior to an isolated test map, which is attached to this report.

To reproduce the bug, load the test map and grab the plasma gun, which has been modified to fire bouncing projectiles. Fire at the surface in front of you (with hexagon tiles), and you'll notice that almost all projectiles explode immediately instead of bouncing.

Tested in GZDoom 4.3.1, 4.4.2, and g4.5pre-256
Attachments
bounce_test.wad
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Re: Bouncing projectiles may fail to bounce off of 3D floors

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I've encountered this issue myself too, and I can confirm it's exclusive to sloped floors only.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sloped math is not the most robust thing out there, Doom's naive collision detection does not play that well with them.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Do note that even though the 3D floors in the example WAD are sloped, projectiles fail to bounce off of their top sides, which are flat. Firing at the (sloped) underside of the structure, however, appears to also trigger the bug, but from my experience it seems to happen less often.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”