The Poly Object Door problem

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Rick4574

The Poly Object Door problem

Post by Rick4574 »

This example shows the problem with Poly objects.

This example is a Doom 2, map01 level, that requires GZDoom to run.

I have a 3D Floor door on the left side, and the poly object door on the right, as seen when first entering the map.

Use the switches on the wall next to the doors to activate them.

The problem with the poly object door, is that it acts as if it is on all three floor levels.

On the ground floor, and on the third floor, you cannot pass through the area where the poly door is while it is closed.

I have purposely delayed the automatic closing of the poly object door, to give you time to take the lift to the top and ground level
floors to see this.

However, the 3D floor door doesn't suffer from this issue, and may be a more suitable alternative...for now anyways...

The only drawback with the 3D door, is that it doesn't really have any movement functions, unless it is scripted with the Doom Builder
script editor.
Attachments
3D Door vs Poly Door.zip
The problem with poly objects
(8.6 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Razumen

Re: The Poly Object Door problem

Post by Razumen »

It's possible to make a polyobject door that doesn't block above or below itself. What you have to do is make the holding sector as low and high as the sector the door will actually be in. Then create polyobject inside as usual (but skip the textures for now). Then, create a 3D floor in the entirety of the holding sector at the same height and tallness you want your door to be, you can leave the textures blank. Now you can set the middle textures for your door on the polyobject's lines and raise or lower them until they're INSIDE the 3D floor (the top and bottom floors of the 3D floor should line up with the doors textures). You don't need to set any special flags for them, as the 3D floor itself will define the collision heights.

I've included a quick example map, as my explanation probably isn't the best, because I ripped the example straight from one of my Hexen maps, and in deconstructing it I realized that there's a few things that I did before that weren't actually necessary.
Attachments
polydcol.wad
(20.93 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Return to “Tutorials”