Floor scrollers in Heretic

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Kzer-Za
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Floor scrollers in Heretic

Post by Kzer-Za »

If I save a map in Heretic format, I suppose all scrolling/carrying floors except 225-244 are unavailable? I am trying to kind of "fix" some maps from vanilla Heretic, and among other things they don't have water flowing any other way than eastward. So I have tried to change the sector specials from, for example, 238 to 208. However, when I load the level and stand on this sector I just get damaged with slime damage. Is it because the special 208 is unavailable in Heretic map format and something else is applied instead? Or am I doing something wrong? Sorry about the newbie question and probably insufficient information, I don't know what additional info to give, since I only started messing with map editing.
Gez

Re: Floor scrollers in Heretic

Post by Gez »

Yeah, the Heretic scrollers only visually scroll east. This is a limitation of the Heretic engine so it's how it works in ZDoom too.

Note that [wiki]sector specials[/wiki] are not the same in [wiki=map format]Doom/Heretic/Strife format[/wiki] and in UDMF/Hexen format. See here for Heretic's sector types.
Kzer-Za
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Floor scrollers in Heretic

Post by Kzer-Za »

Thanks, I'm gonna try a different approach then.

Return to “Mapping”