WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yarn366
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by Yarn366 »

AvzinElkein wrote:Does WADSmoosh do Betray/Sewers?
It does, if you use the versions found here: http://classicdoom.com/xboxspec.htm
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

I already posted this problem before in 2017. Looks like it creeped out again.
When i use wadsmoosh with brightmap texutres from viewtopic.php?t=64299 they do not show up.
I use doom_complete as IWAD (this was solution for the problem before).
If i use original wads brightmaps start working again.
Yarn366

Post by Yarn366 »

Those brightmaps seem to be working for me in WadSmoosh; the imps' eyes are glowing in Hell on Earth MAP01, which doesn't otherwise happen even with GZDoom's included brightmaps.

I'm loading doom_complete.wad as an IWAD and bmplus_vanilla.wad and bmplus_textures.wad as PWADs, in that order, and nothing else.
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

No, brightmaps for enemy sprites work fine.
I mean brightmap level textures. Like how red marks around locked red door suppose to glow red, but it does not.
Yarn366

Post by Yarn366 »

Texture brightmaps are also working for me.

Are you sure you're actually loading bmplus_textures.wad? To verify, open the console ([ ` ] key by default, which is to the left of the 1 key on the US keyboard layout), look for a list of resources being added (usually near the top, and in the form "adding [WAD path], [x] lumps"), and look for bmplus_textures.wad in that list. If it's not there, then the texture brightmaps aren't being loaded (since they're located in that file).

Also, make sure that hardware rendering is enabled, since it's required for brightmaps to work. To do so, go to the Options menu, then select "Display Options" (if using the simple options menu) or "Set video mode" (if using the full options menu). You should see "Preferred Rendering API" and "Render Mode" among the first options. Make sure that "Preferred Rendering API" is set to either "OpenGL" or "Vulkan", and that "Render Mode" is set to "Hardware accelerated". Then, restart GZDoom. The texture brightmaps should now work if they're loaded. (You said that sprite brightmaps work for you, so this probably isn't the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check those settings.)
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

I did not checked, but a am sure i have it working fine, cause when i switch on normal doom1 or doom2 wad brightmaps start working again.
I do have xbox secret levels installed in doom complete pk3 btw, maybe this causes the error? Cause i did not used them before and brightmaps were working fine. I also added widescreen title screens according to the instruction.
I will reinstall entire thing on this weekend including gzdoom and doom complete in separate experimental folder and report the results.
Yarn366

Post by Yarn366 »

Even though the texture brightmaps work for you without WadSmoosh, do check all of the things I mentioned anyway while running WadSmoosh. It's entirely possible that bmplus_textures.wad is loading with regular Doom and Doom 2 but not with WadSmoosh due to how your GZDoom setup is configured.

The Xbox secret levels and the widescreen images shouldn't be the culprit, because I'm using them too.
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

Just tested it on latest dev version of gzdoom. No other mods or settings other than bmplus_textures.pk3.
Still doom_complete.pk3 do not have brightmap textures, I change to doom1.wad and they appear.

UPDATE: I tried stable gzdoom and it works! Looks like something was changed in dev builds.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Might be worth filing a report. If something worked in previous versions, and no longer works now, that's often a regression that needs to be addressed.

Please be sure to tell us where to find the brightmaps you are using.
Yarn366

Post by Yarn366 »

What's happening here is that those WADs include GLDEFS lumps for doom.id.doom and doom.id.doom2 but not doom.id. WadSmoosh was changed from doom.id.doom2.wadsmoosh to doom.id.wadsmoosh in the development builds, so those lumps are no longer used with WadSmoosh.

DaveCooper said that the sprite brightmaps still work, but I found this to not be the case (the imps' eyes no longer glow, for example) for the same reason. (To be clear, I'm only referring to the brightmaps that DaveCooper linked to, not the ones that come with GZDoom.)
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

Rachael wrote: Please be sure to tell us where to find the brightmaps you are using.
It is Brightmaps Plus viewtopic.php?t=64299

(2] Brightmaps for textures (PK3, 549 KB))
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ah, I see. This is still a problem, but not one that is easy to fix. A bug report may still help though - so at the very least the issue can be discussed with potential solutions.
Yelso
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Yelso »

JPL wrote:
Rachael wrote:
JPL wrote:Wouldn't this break custom title screens? ie WADs that include their own TITLEPIC?
Yes, it would.

I've removed .doom2 from wadsmoosh's filter name in GZDoom's iwadinfo.txt.

Turns out this guy was right after all - otherwise, it would have been a senseless and overcomplicated process of me forcing you and Nash to work together to make the unique titlescreen work had I stuck with what it was originally. I don't think any mods used the old filter name anyhow. (Inevitably I am sure one will be discovered, though...)

In the long run though it may be better for you to adopt your own iwadinfo.txt and rename to doom_complete.ipk3 anyhow, though. That way you can control your own settings in this project. If you need help with that, you can get in touch with me, I can help you make it work.
Ahh, thanks, I wouldn't have thought that that change would fix it.

Re: wadsmoosh's own iwadinfo.txt, I'd probably just want to copy-paste its entry from GZDoom's iwadinfo.txt (starting at line 356, it looks like) for a starting point, right?
Im sorry for qouted you for an unrelated question, I dont know how to @ you on this forum software.

Is it possible to merged hexen and Hexen deathkings of the dark citadel in the same way that wadsmoosh does for the Doom Iwads?
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Is it possible to merged hexen and Hexen deathkings of the dark citadel in the same way that wadsmoosh does for the Doom Iwads?
check here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64714
Yelso
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Yelso »

irukanjji wrote:
check here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64714
Gez did give an example on how to make a wad with both but I have no idea how to edit IWADs and wanted to find someone who had already done it, or had a utility like wadsmoosh.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”