Original Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Original Doom

Post by Zanieon »

Enjay wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Besides, the Doom Guy's a friggin' Olympic runner even when he's bogged down with equipment so it's not like he even needs a vehicle. :lol:
Indeed: an Olympic runner who has cheetah-sprint-like speeds that he can maintain over marathon distances with the carrying capacity of a pick-up truck. :yup:
In a nutshell Doomguy is this with the speed of this.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:I really, really dislike driving in FPS games.
The Halo series has about the only intuitive/acceptable driving I've seen. The direction you point the camera is the direction you drive. Given that vehicles are a pretty core part of its gameplay, it really needs this.

I don't remember seeing such a nice systme in any other game series, which is disappointing. (Driving in Source engine makes me want to punch the screen. :evil: )
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:(Driving in Source engine makes me want to punch the screen. :evil: )
Yes, it's like the vehicles have the ragdoll physics properties transferred to them. Hit a bump or go up an embankment and your vehicle tumbles and topples uncontrollably all over the place in a ridiculous manner. To be fair, many vehicles in FPS games behave a bit like that.
Athel

Post by Athel »

I have no problem with it. Im actually used to it by now. Then again, last time i played HL2 was my blind run and I cheated with the map command in...2011? :p
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

i prefer drive the vehicles in Half Life 2 INFINITE TIMES than drive a fucking Hellbender in Unreal Tournament 3, surely the terrain on this game doesn't help wheeled vehicles at all.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Xtyfe »

Vehicles have no place in FPS games. At some point the kiddies gotta choose if they want a shooter or a racing game.

Whoever thought this was ever a good idea is on my shit list.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Xtyfe wrote:Vehicles have no place in FPS games. At some point the kiddies gotta choose if they want a shooter or a racing game.

Whoever thought this was ever a good idea is on my shit list.
How about sort of vehicular rail-shooter sections where you aren't manning the vehicle but you're shooting at enemies to keep them out of the way of the vehicle?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't mind segments with drivable vehicles, but in the early 2000s, it felt like EVERY first-person shooter had a back-of-the-truck rail shooter sequence, and I have become quite tired of those, especially since half of them are not very well done (especially Soldier of Fortune 2 and the hideously slow-paced one near the beginning of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault).
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

which is why I never understood the hype Beachhead 2000 got back when it came out in ... 2000

though certain custom vehicles for UT2004 do feel nice and by default they're better than any Gmod vehicle ever. The best part is that the bots can use them well most of the time including the helicopter-based ones.

The only good vehicle any Source game (or rather all idTech and derivatives prior to 5) had was in GoldSrc with Counter-Strike beta 7's vehicle brush entities. that's real hacking genius right there. de_jeepathon2k forever
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

There was an hype with Beach Head 2000? o_O
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

XanderK9 wrote:There was an hype with Beach Head 2000? o_O
As an arcade game yeah, not as a PC game. I remember it on the arcade it was da shit.
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

I know I heard about it from ads and I did saw the arcade cabinet back then, but it never picked up my interest and the same for the others. I guess the hype never reached where I live. :P
Marinelol

Post by Marinelol »

After circle O destruction in doom2, spent the rest of the game waiting to meet a new monster -Thought archviles were great back then, stop using everywhere in everymap!! The only one was that icon of sin.. Oh well had a ton of fun playing survival in that map instead of trying to shoot rockets into its forehead.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

SamVision wrote:
XanderK9 wrote:There was an hype with Beach Head 2000? o_O
As an arcade game yeah, not as a PC game. I remember it on the arcade it was da shit.
Both came out at the same time and it was WizardWorks' desperate "please please forget nam and ww2 gi existed pleaaaaasse"
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

As a non-mapper, for me there was one thing that was causing me endless grief:

I have always liked to build my own episodes out of user made levels, so the obvious thing was to have some MAPINFO equivalent.
And sadly, the more 'basic' ports still do not have such an essential feature where to assign names, music tracks, sky texture and exit destinations.

I think this has been the biggest failure of early port development, and once the plain Boom ports were mostly feature frozen it was too late.

Return to “Off-Topic”