EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: 3DGE 1.37 (Discussion, 60FPS, etc)

Post by HavoX »

I just tested it, and it sounds like it has been fixed. Cheers :)
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

It is happened long ago, but don't know just me or not but key binding is very hard.After I bind the zoom key, I bind the use key, but nothing happens. And I look back and found that the key I bind to use instead binded to zoom, so there is two keys binded to zoom. It is happen to all keys, not just between use-zoom but can also happen between use-jump,use-crouch, etc. Because of that I am not dare to fiddle around with keyboard binding anymore.
VGA

Post by VGA »

NantoCodd wrote:It is happened long ago, but don't know just me or not but key binding is very hard.After I bind the zoom key, I bind the use key, but nothing happens. And I look back and found that the key I bind to use instead binded to zoom, so there is two keys binded to zoom. It is happen to all keys, not just between use-zoom but can also happen between use-jump,use-crouch, etc. Because of that I am not dare to fiddle around with keyboard binding anymore.
You can edit the cfg directly. Use the hex key codes from here:
http://www.csee.umbc.edu/portal/help/theory/ascii.txt

For example, tilde key has hex code of 60, SPACE key is 20. (so you use 0x60 and 0x20 respectively)
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

I have succesfully bind the keys, actually. Hardly. But thanks for the hex codes. It can be very useful for me :).
VGA

Post by VGA »

I'd like to make 2 more reports:

1) Using Doom replacement episodes like the Eternity (ep2 replacement) for example, link...
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... ernity.zip
...I noticed that 3DGE adds one additional episode with blank name above the normal 4. Trying to start it gives a

Code: Select all

WARNING: Cannot find map for '' (episode )
I tested with Choco Doom and ZDoom and no such problem.

debug.txt:
http://pastebin.com/kFuHpfUH

2) While the screen melt effect is playing the game should be paused. That's how it is in the original doom and all source ports. It was especially annoying one time when I was save-scumming to deal with a baron of hell while I was low on ammo. Upon loading the game, as the effect was playing the game was proceeding normally, I had to scramble around while the screen was melting, wtf :mrgreen:
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

VGA wrote: Personally I'm getting some small cracks/hickups. And I've tried 3 different sound patches.
What's your Timidity level at? If it's Loud, then it's going to crackle. Normal or Quiet is recommended.
VGA wrote:I'd like to make 2 more reports:
VGA wrote: 2) While the screen melt effect is playing the game should be paused. That's how it is in the original doom and all source ports. It was especially annoying one time when I was save-scumming to deal with a baron of hell while I was low on ammo. Upon loading the game, as the effect was playing the game was proceeding normally, I had to scramble around while the screen was melting, wtf :mrgreen:
Change the screen transition effect from Melt to the others. I never paid attention to it but it doesn't bother me too much. Pixel or Cross fade is a perfect way to keep in the action instead of waiting for the screen to melt (which melts pretty quickly). I will look into this though, no worries =)
VGA wrote: 2) The console doesn't pause the game. That's weird and is inconsistent with Zdoom and Eternity.
On another note, when you mention decal support for the future, do you mean 3DGE will have nice bullet,rocket etc decals on the walls? Like Zdoom? 8-)
1+1) Will address this, the input code is hacked to all hell at the moment. What's the hex address for your Mute button specific to your keyboard?

2) That's pretty much cosmetic. I don't think the Quake-games paused the game upon dropping down the console. I'll see if there's a way I can change this, but it's not on my immediate list of things to-do. ;)

3) Yes, decals will work just like Zdooms, for the most part. ^_^
Last edited by Coraline on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

In specific response to:
VGA wrote:
I'd like to make 2 more reports:

1) Using Doom replacement episodes like the Eternity (ep2 replacement) for example, link...
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... ernity.zip
...I noticed that 3DGE adds one additional episode with blank name above the normal 4. Trying to start it gives a

WARNING: Cannot find map for '' (episode )

I tested with Choco Doom and ZDoom and no such problem.
VGA - try this file. Put this in the doom_ddf directory and try running Eternity+Doom again and see if the episode selection goes back to normal.

Just as I initially thought, we discovered that because there are a number of junk lumps from a bad node builder in the 94 WAD, it was messing up entries with the EDGE entry in DDFGAME, since there was no start_map, it looks for the first marker in the WAD (for some reason). Since there are a ton of shit lumps it picks and goes with the first blank WAD, since the EDGE entry doesn't have a firstmap= option. This normally isn't a problem but for blank garbage lumps it can cause this issue.

This fix WILL break compatibility with older EDGE mods, so if nothing starts right just replace the DDF entry (or someone modify that particular WAD to not include garbage data). Will work on a hard-coded solution later. I figured it was the wad but I had to be sure.

EDIT2: Thanks to Randy the extensions are now allowed to be attached! ;)
Last edited by Coraline on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

You may rename the extension to something like txt, zip, or png. Just note people to change it back once it's downloaded.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Plop this in your doom_ddf folder. Start Eternity again and let me know that the bug is confirmed fixed.

Edit: Thanks Randy for allowing all of the extension types that 3DGE needs! Much appreciated
Attachments
games.ddf
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by Coraline on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Now there is no blank episode :-) Can you also make a little fix to the game message when adding map markers? It starts counting at 0 instead of 1.

About the key codes, I'm a little confused because 3DGE seems to be using ASCII codes and not virtual key codes. I'm not sure if there is an ASCII code for the Volume Mute button (?)

This program is good for testing VK codes:
http://delphiforfun.org/programs/utilities/KeyCodes.htm

Note: I even tried changing the console key in the cfg file to something other than 0x60 but the mute button still brought down the console :shock:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This seems to be a common problem with keyboard media keys. Between my Logitech G15v1 and my current CM Storm, pressing Next Track or any of the volume keys tends to either pull down the console, pause the game, or open the automap. I'm assuming some strangeness is involved with the way media keys need to be recognized by Windows.
VGA

Post by VGA »

When I was creating trainers I had no problems, but I was using win APIs.

Windows has no problems recognizing keys, heh:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much all media keys toggle the console.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

VGA wrote:About the key codes, I'm a little confused because 3DGE seems to be using ASCII codes and not virtual key codes. I'm not sure if there is an ASCII code for the Volume Mute button (?)

This program is good for testing VK codes:
http://delphiforfun.org/programs/utilities/KeyCodes.htm

Note: I even tried changing the console key in the cfg file to something other than 0x60 but the mute button still brought down the console :shock:
I suspected this was due to DOSDoom's roots, and was never updated even after the DOS version of regular EDGE (I think 1.37 was the last DOS release) was abandoned. This was confirmed in source:
// DOOM keyboard definition.
// This is the stuff configured by Setup.Exe.
// Most key data are simple ascii (uppercased).
So, there you have it. I have little experience in input handling, but I'll see what I can do. I have a standard, regular keyboard and have never used a multimedia keyboard. If volume needs to be down or muted, I simply turn the dial on my speakers, or use the OPTIONS menu and turn it down that way. :S
VGA

Post by VGA »

There was some great feedback for 3DGE on the Doomworld forum, I think you're Chu there, so you saw that and the DDF fixes with the linedefs being double-sided when the shouldn't and so on.

Will there be some update soon to fix those? 8-)

Also, when you hear a fast midi playing like in E1M1 is it perfect like in Choco Doom with GUS emulation? For me it crackles/chokes.
My settings:
Spoiler:
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

VGA, can you post a sound file or small clip of what it sounds like? I've tested it on two of my machines and it renders E1M1 completely fine, definitely hearing it to compare would be most helpful.

At Doomworld, plums posted a DDF bugfix that you can apply to your doom_ddf directory. I am going to integrate these together and release a soft hotfix of 1.36Final with some of these bugs squashed.

Return to “Game Engines”