[Won't change] Spider Mastermind anti-gravity

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
arcticwolf

Spider Mastermind anti-gravity

Post by arcticwolf »

The following screenshot was just taken a few minutes ago, while I was checking out a newly-uploaded level (telebase.zip, not worth downloading). It shows a scene where a group of spider demons has just been caught by a crushing ceiling; the ceiling is going up again, and the remaining spider demons are stuck to the ceiling, so to speak, moving up with it. A second later, one of them died and fell down, quickly followed by the second one, but until then, they moved up with the ceiling.

A bug in ZDoom?
Xaser

You Downloaded Telebase???

Post by Xaser »

LOL!!!

I can't believe somebody actually downloaded Telebase even after all the warnings in the textfile! Yes, I did make that level, and it was the first one ever made, so therefore, it sucks BADLY! I only uploaded it to test out if I could actually upload stuff. Believe me, I have improved ALOT since then. I actually played this just now, and it did do the Spidermastermind crushing thing. Maybe it just has to do with the fact that I put all 5 on them so close together. It's never happened to me anywhere else. You were also right on the "not worth downloading" part. That level is definately 1337 quality... 1337.wad quality, that is. :)

The moral of this story is: TELEBASE.WAD SUCKS! STAY AWAY!!!
arcticwolf

Re: You Downloaded Telebase???

Post by arcticwolf »

Xaser wrote:LOL!!!

I can't believe somebody actually downloaded Telebase even after all the warnings in the textfile! Yes, I did make that level, and it was the first one ever made, so therefore, it sucks BADLY! I only uploaded it to test out if I could actually upload stuff. Believe me, I have improved ALOT since then. I actually played this just now, and it did do the Spidermastermind crushing thing. Maybe it just has to do with the fact that I put all 5 on them so close together. It's never happened to me anywhere else. You were also right on the "not worth downloading" part. That level is definately 1337 quality... 1337.wad quality, that is. :)

The moral of this story is: TELEBASE.WAD SUCKS! STAY AWAY!!!
*chuckles* Yes, I downloaded it.

To be honest, I didn't read the text file before I downloaded the level - I was just poking around for new stuff, and downloaded more or less anything I had not yet checked out. And afterwards, while I did read the text file before playing, I still decided to try the level - you can't be sure unless you've played it, obviously. :)

The bug in ZDoom seems to be real, though; I haven't checked the wad to see if there's anything weird or unusual in there, but even in that case, the engine shouldn't exhibit weird behaviour like this.

Outside of that, Danger Zone sounds interesting. What's the status? Ready for download soon, or still in the works? :)
The Ultimate DooMer

Re: You Downloaded Telebase???

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Xaser wrote:LOL!!!

I can't believe somebody actually downloaded Telebase even after all the warnings in the textfile!
Well, someone has to review it so they had to download it...
Xaser

Danger Zone Progress

Post by Xaser »

arcticwolf wrote:Outside of that, Danger Zone sounds interesting. What's the status? Ready for download soon, or still in the works? :)
Danger zone won't be finished for a few weeks at least. All I need to do are the levels and such.

Level Status:
Map01: 70% complete
Map02: 95% complete
Map03: 5% complete
Map04: 0% complete
Map05: 0% complete
Map06: 0% complete
Map07: 0% complete

I really need to get off my lazy butt and continue on map03! I've been sidetracked by a new Weapons Mod I just started.

Also, while you were at /newstuff, did you download Necro_X.zip and S_female.zip? Those are mine, too, and are a HELL of alot better then telebase.zip, even though neither of those two are levels. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Damn arcticwolf, did you need to post such a big screeny? I'd have seen it easier with a smaller one because I wouldn't have to scroll all over the thread just to see the entire pic. Maybe I should just up my resolution though? :P

As far as the bug goes, I've had a level where something similar happens for ages. A group of demons get crushed, and the one in the middle always gets picked up when the ceinling rises (the crusher is more complex in shape though). However, in the level in question, this actually looks good and fits in perfectly with what is supposed to be going on so in that case at least, I hope it doesn't get fixed. :D
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Enjay wrote:Damn arcticwolf, did you need to post such a big screeny? I'd have seen it easier with a smaller one because I wouldn't have to scroll all over the thread just to see the entire pic. Maybe I should just up my resolution though? :P

As far as the bug goes, I've had a level where something similar happens for ages. A group of demons get crushed, and the one in the middle always gets picked up when the ceinling rises (the crusher is more complex in shape though). However, in the level in question, this actually looks good and fits in perfectly with what is supposed to be going on so in that case at least, I hope it doesn't get fixed. :D
OK, so It's-Not-A-Bug-It's-A-Feature(tm)... ;) About the screenshot: Sorry for the size. I didn't expect the attachment to actually show up in the post; rather, I thought there'd be a link to it.

Heh, and increasing your resolution might work, too. Take a look at this screenshot (http://schneelocke.net/doom/doom_comparison_5.jpg), for example; it's really quite a difference compared to the first Doom release 9,5 years ago, isn't it. :)

Now I just wish ZDoom had support for MD2 models and all that. :)
arcticwolf

Re: Danger Zone Progress

Post by arcticwolf »

Xaser wrote:
arcticwolf wrote:Outside of that, Danger Zone sounds interesting. What's the status? Ready for download soon, or still in the works? :)
Danger zone won't be finished for a few weeks at least. All I need to do are the levels and such.

Level Status:
Map01: 70% complete
Map02: 95% complete
Map03: 5% complete
Map04: 0% complete
Map05: 0% complete
Map06: 0% complete
Map07: 0% complete

I really need to get off my lazy butt and continue on map03! I've been sidetracked by a new Weapons Mod I just started.

Also, while you were at /newstuff, did you download Necro_X.zip and S_female.zip? Those are mine, too, and are a HELL of alot better then telebase.zip, even though neither of those two are levels. :)
Yup, I checked those out, too. The female skin is a nice idea, but it looks a bit strange since her upper body is not moving at all in the animation. The weapons are nice, though; I personally don't like futuristic weapons that much, but they're nicely done. :)

With regard to Danger Zone, go work on it, now! ;)
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

When a player successfully escapes the Danger Zone, is that just cause to perform the Safety Dance?
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

Evil Mittens wrote:When a player successfully escapes the Danger Zone, is that just cause to perform the Safety Dance?
I'll let Xaser answer that. :)
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Hey, if your friends don't dance then they're no friends of mine.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Well, I finally had a look at this. The spiders are physically overlapping, so they're just trying to separate themselves as more space becomes available when the ceiling rises.

This behavior is actually intentional. Consider two monsters with high hit points one over the other under a crusher. The crusher can push them inside of each other without killing them. This behavior is designed to make them "pop" back apart once the crusher rises.
Zell

Post by Zell »

Ultraviolet wrote:Hey, if your friends don't dance then they're no friends of mine.
XD that songs is great
arcticwolf

Post by arcticwolf »

OK, I see. I'll file it under "bugs in the WAD file" then. :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

arcticwolf wrote:OK, I see. I'll file it under "bugs in the WAD file" then. :)
:P

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”