ScoreDoom 2.9Beta Release

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BilboHicks

Re: ScoreDoom 2.8v2 Release

Post by BilboHicks »

Hi,
Just an FYI, that I ported a ScoreDoom Beta into the Skulltag source release for proper internet play,
More info here:
http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Been playing this alot recently with the most recent version and i havent encountered anything game
breaking by any means which is awsome!

I did encounter one sprite conflict though. Much like how you said the data for the ignus locus
is there, the same exists for the clockwork cyber and the galamoth. The bormereth and the galamoth
have sprite conflicts so that the bormereth looks like a galamoth and its wondering around
sound the creature make, it sounds like the galamoth as well. Otherwise i havent seen anything else!
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

NovaDragon wrote:Been playing this alot recently with the most recent version and i havent encountered anything game
breaking by any means which is awsome!

I did encounter one sprite conflict though. Much like how you said the data for the ignus locus
is there, the same exists for the clockwork cyber and the galamoth. The bormereth and the galamoth
have sprite conflicts so that the bormereth looks like a galamoth and its wondering around
sound the creature make, it sounds like the galamoth as well. Otherwise i havent seen anything else!
Thanks for the info. I'm going to update regular scoredoom to add some performance tweaks soon, as well as add some wads to the hi score server that dljosef requested, and I may update the add-on pack too. But does the bormereth looking like a galamoth a big deal? Is the wondering sound a lot different from the borometh. If it is, no problem I can make the fix, and maybe add any new monsters from the beastiary as well, while I'm at it.

I updated my SDST demo too, it was missing some resources.
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

I was wondering how feasible would it be to use weapon mods with this? You mention in your documentation that the weapon might not count towards the score, but how can one make it so?
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

.ex.inferis. wrote:I was wondering how feasible would it be to use weapon mods with this? You mention in your documentation that the weapon might not count towards the score, but how can one make it so?
To be honest, weapon mods should be fine with SD, but a couple of rules need to be applied:
I believe the issue I was referring to (now that I have a better understanding of this bug), is with weapons that have projectiles which spawn other missiles via A_CustomMissile that do not have CMF_TRACKOWNER flag set. ( http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_CustomMissile ). Actually I think that the version of gzdoom that SD is built on, you will need to add a 4 to whatever else in the A_CustomMissile 'aimflags' argument instead of 'CMF_TRACKOWNER'.
Always set that. I needed to do it for the bfg nuke alt-fire.

Also since the chaingun, rocketlauncher, plasmarifle & bfg all have alt-fire modes by default in SD, you will need to support alt-fire modes in any replacements/subclasses of these weapons, even if you dont use an alt-fire, you would need to add a 'dummy' alt-fire state or the game will crash.

So, you could probably take current weapon replacement mods and modify them as above and they should work fine with SD.

Also, I have a Master Server for ScoreDoomST up at: 99.67.224.186:15300 which you can use for Idese
or the ScoreDoomST client, via the ini:
cl_masterip=99.67.224.186
sv_masteroverrideip=99.67.224.186
sv_masterip=99.67.224.186
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Nah its not too big of a deal at all and doesn't bother me at all (Considering the Galamoth actually doesn't replace anything either)
just mentioning just in case. I thought of another possible boss as well (Mainly for the boss rush) and that could be the oblivion
demon from the end of the zdoom community map project. A couple of new ones were suggested in realms 667 forums that could be used
but to be honest i don't think they would fit in or are way too overpowered. Just a few ideas though!
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

Thanks for the info, Bilbo. :D
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

@Bilbo - I'm gonna be rather busy for this week, so I'll be testing the new version when I'm not studying when it comes out. Btw, the final version of Speed of Doom is released in the Doomworld forums.

@NovaDragon - Which of those monsters are overpowered? It won't be such a big deal to just reduce the damage of their attacks to at least that of a Baron-class monster along with the health.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

dljosef wrote:@Bilbo - I'm gonna be rather busy for this week, so I'll be testing the new version when I'm not studying when it comes out. Btw, the final version of Speed of Doom is released in the Doomworld forums.
No problem. I will get around to updating the hi score server, over the next week or so. I'm tired from the coding extravaganza I was on with the ST source, but the Beta came out quite good I think (well I did put a ton of effort in :P ).
Even though the add-on pack has decorate incompatibilities with the ST engine I'm using, I dont think that it will be quite as bad as I thought to get the add-on pack resources (as well as the SD weapon alt-fire) into scoredoomST. and if some content is just a nightmare to get to work in the ST engine, or work properly in multiplayer, I'll alter it or chuck it.
The nice thing about just supporting multiplayer, is that virtually all the monster replacement code can be done in decorate like AEOD, and none of that painful gamestate checking like with regular SD!
One thing Im going to add also, is shuffling of the order of the Boss-Rush bosses for SDST.
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

Weapon mods in fact do work. I just ran my homebrewed pack and it works like a charm. I just had to fix decorate nitpickings (e.g. flags that came at later (g)zdoom versions) but other than that, no problems whatsoever. I'll try other packs also, to confirm. I had a couple of questions though: How does scoredoom exactly 'know' which powerups to spawn and where? I've seen some powerups spawn in places that there wasn't anything there before (e.g. AlienVendetta map23, on of the hallways had a double damage powerup). And monster randomization, the engine seems to remember which monsters it spawned and in which map, too. How does it do that?
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

.ex.inferis. wrote:Weapon mods in fact do work. I just ran my homebrewed pack and it works like a charm. I just had to fix decorate nitpickings (e.g. flags that came at later (g)zdoom versions) but other than that, no problems whatsoever. I'll try other packs also, to confirm. I had a couple of questions though: How does scoredoom exactly 'know' which powerups to spawn and where? I've seen some powerups spawn in places that there wasn't anything there before (e.g. AlienVendetta map23, on of the hallways had a double damage powerup). And monster randomization, the engine seems to remember which monsters it spawned and in which map, too. How does it do that?
Great to hear. I know dljosef mentioned that some weapon-mods may cause SD to crash.

Regular doom randomization, like that used in DECORATE, I couldnt use if I wanted the same custom monsters & custom artifacts/pickups everytime a level was played on a certain skill-level in SP. So I'm using a more oldskool approach (like the original doom source code had) and I have a sequence/array of random numbers and a pointer that gets incremented everytime I need a random number check. Everytime a map loads for a certain skill level, there will always be the same amount of monsters & items etc... The pointer gets incremented everytime I check to see which monster should replace the original doom one, and then I do another check to see if the monster should 'drop'/spawn a custom artifact/pickup when it spawns which updates the pointer. When the level is saved, I also serialize the position of the pointer within the random number array, so playing from saved games is identical to playing all the way through a level. This is all done in the source-code, and the reason is I wanted to have the hi score server support the add-on pack, and completely random monsters per-play like in DECORATE, would not be good for fair hi-scores.
You can set SP to have random monsters play, like so:
sp_random_custom_monsters=true

but it disables online hi scoring.
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

Hmm, interesting. I can see why it breaks online hi scoring--there wouldn't be a consistent score to keep up with. So it's a sequence, not a randomization per se. And embedded in the engine? Ha, I love it. Plus with the addon pack being customizable too there's even more replay value, imo. Awesome work, sir. :D
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

.ex.inferis. wrote:Hmm, interesting. I can see why it breaks online hi scoring--there wouldn't be a consistent score to keep up with. So it's a sequence, not a randomization per se. And embedded in the engine? Ha, I love it. Plus with the addon pack being customizable too there's even more replay value, imo. Awesome work, sir. :D
Thanks. Yeah there is no true randomization with computers, just better attempts at it. So it is a form of computer 'randomization', but right, really just a sequence.
BilboHicks

Post by BilboHicks »

ScoreDoomST has been updated to Beta 2.

This adds add-on pack support (Boss Rush etc...), and there is a separate SDST-ADDONPACK.WAD. Virtually all monsters from the scoredoom add-on pack, save a few, made it. Some artifacts are missing, but new ones have been added, and other minor changes.

More info here:
http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html

There is a master server and test server running for beta 2, which is running the sdst add-on pack.

@ dljosef: I havent forgotten about the hi-score server. I will add those wads within the next week, probably this weekend.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

So a scoring system sounds like fun! But GZScoreDoom is behaving poorly on my system. I don't think it likes my INI. :(

For simplicity's sake I copied my ZDoom-User.ini into ScoreDoom's directory (which I gave it all to itself). Running the first time, the colors of all the game fonts are garbled. (But not the menu pointers and such.) Attempting to run a second time gives me a VFE.

If I replace the INI with a fresh copy of ZDoom-User.ini, the cycle begins again. And deleting the INI and letting ScoreDoom make a new one results in fine screen fonts, but still the VFE on second run.

(Also, the absence of "Force Aspect Ratio" in Options -> Set Video Mode is bothering me.)

Return to “Game Engines”