PSA: Cloudflare leak (passwords/sensitive information)

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Dancso

PSA: Cloudflare leak (passwords/sensitive information)

Post by Dancso »

Discord wrote:There has been a major security flaw within Cloudflare and thus meaning within Discord. Its highly suggested that you cycle your passwords everywhere.

Impact
Between 2016-09-22 - 2017-02-18 passwords, private messages, API keys, and other sensitive data were leaked by Cloudflare to random requesters.
Data was cached by search engines, and may have been collected by random adversaries over the past few months.

"The greatest period of impact was from February 13 and February 18 with around 1 in every 3,300,000 HTTP requests through Cloudflare potentially resulting in memory leakage (that’s about 0.00003% of requests), potential of 100k-200k paged with private data leaked every day"

What you should do
Change all your passwords, especially those on these affected sites. Rotate API keys & secrets, and confirm you have 2-FA set up for important accounts. Of the sites compromised, most notably there is Reddit, Uber, StackOverflow, Patreon, DigitalOcean, 4chan, and many many more.

You can check which sites were affected by this on the readme of this github page
https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare
(copied from a discord server I attend)
Additional source:
Ars Technica
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: PSA: Cloudflare leak (passwords/sensitive information)

Post by Rachael »

Thank you for that notice. :)

Just so everyone knows - ZDoom.org and DRDTeam.org do not use Cloudflare so they should not be affected by this. However, many Doom-community-related websites are. So be careful.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I managed to find a (incomplete) list of sites that could be affected by this: https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare. And I just got around to setting up a Discord account too...
Edit:
I feel like an idiot for not reading the first post in it's entirety. Off to bed with me.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Just wanna mention FYI that the issue has been taken care of. At first glance it seems like this is an ongoing problem, but it is not.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Sobering as ever. Good on them for patching up as soon as they knew, though.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Personally for me I never worry about stuff like this since I never keep personal information anywhere on the internet and I have different passwords for every single website that I am registered to. The only real concern is if my bank gets hacked directly.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”