[SOLVED!] MAJOR Help With Latest GZDoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
cmw1986

[SOLVED!] MAJOR Help With Latest GZDoom

Post by cmw1986 »

I have encountered an incredibly huge issue with the newest devbuilds of GZDoom. The problem is every sprite within the normal unedited Doom 2 wad all appear invisible ingame and I have no clue whatsoever how to fix it!. I'm 100% positive there is nothing wrong with the wad file, but when I try to play the game in hardware mode the sprites are, like I said, totally invisible. Everything else is perfectly fine and the sprites do however appear visible in software mode, but I prefer playing the game in OpenGL mode.

Do I need to update my OpenGL hardware or something?. If yes, then how do I do that?. A step-by-step tutorial would really help me a lot with this serious problem. Also, out of curiosity, does anyone else have this "invisible sprite bug" too?.

(Note: the sprites are invisible in both x32 and x64 versions on my computer).

-cmw1986
Last edited by cmw1986 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: MAJOR Help With Latest GZDoom

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you have an old ATI card with OpenGL 3.x, yes you need a driver update. Some were quite broken.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

So how do I improve that?. Do you know any good sites in particular?.

In case if you need to know, I use a flatscreen Windows 7 (with the "tower" built into the screen).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

cmw1986 wrote:So how do I improve that?. Do you know any good sites in particular?.

In case if you need to know, I use a flatscreen Windows 7 (with the "tower" built into the screen).
If you know the manufacturer of your computer's video hardware, it is best to go to the manufacturer's website. This can be easily checked by opening the Device Manager (you can search for it in the Start Menu's search box), then opening the "Display adapters" branch. If it's NVIDIA or ATI/AMD, go to the respective company's website to find your drivers. If it's Intel, you should probably get the driver from whoever manufactured your PC.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Umm, just a question...what kind of graphics driver does GZDoom (now with zscript implemented) require?.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Just get the latest drivers for your graphics card.

8-)
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

I've done that and it still doesn't work!!! :bang:

I'm currently using an AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics card/driver/whatever and all the sprites are still invisible!!!...what the frickin' heck is going on here?!?!?! :evil:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You got them from the AMD support site, right? Your chipset shouldn't have problems like that, as it does support (or claim to support, anyway) OpenGL 4.4 on the latest available drivers...
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Then what graphics card/driver should I be using then?. If it's not the graphics card, then my other guess would probably be that stupid zscript addition!!!. It's gotta be one or the other. :bang: :evil:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Okay okay, calm down, please. Your video card is fine, and ZScript would not do this to you. Could you please install and run Speccy and post the specs that it shows?
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Is this what you wanted?:
Speccy Snapshot.zip
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

cmw1986 wrote:Is this what you wanted?:
Speccy Snapshot.zip
Yes, exactly what I needed. Going by this data, you seem to be running some very old driver software for your video card. I think this is the one you need, if I'm not reading these specs incorrectly, that is. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and try downloading the Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta. If it gives you an option to perform a clean install, do it.
cmw1986

Post by cmw1986 »

Well what do you know, it worked!!!. PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

@wildweasel: I'm very, very, VERY sorry about my outburst yesterday. I can get pretty livid quickly when something like this happens to me and next time I'll try harder to be more calm. So for that, I apologize. 8-)

Now let's forget our troubles and celebrate with a nice cold glass of caffeine-free root beer!. :cheers: :thumb:

Peace!
-cmw1986
wildweasel

Re: [SOLVED!] MAJOR Help With Latest GZDoom

Post by wildweasel »

Excellent, I'm glad we could get that resolved.

Return to “Technical Issues”