!!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: !!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

Post by DoomRater »

I for one welcome the report button.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

...Apologies for my outburst, Neural. I had a moment.

8-)
mutator

Post by mutator »

as soon as I read this I naturally got a thought that someone is trying to access other people's account, is that correct? I have nothing really important in my account but if there is hacker then I would be cautious still

8-)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

mutator wrote:as soon as I read this I naturally got a thought that someone is trying to access other people's account, is that correct? I have nothing really important in my account but if there is hacker then I would be cautious still

8-)
The problem is not that personal details are being used, it's that accounts are literally being used to post stupid crap.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Eruanna wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Why not ban all inactive accounts? It'll take a lot of time for the mods but it'll sure save everyone lots of trouble. Anyone can message the mods anyway just in case they want to reactivate their account.
I think it would be better to enable post approval for inactive accounts.

The whole idea behind this is to starve these people for attention. They can't get attention very effectively if nearly every account they compromise is stuck under a moderator blanket.
Never thought of that. This is actually much more better.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Well holy damn, I come back, see all this, log out and try to log in just to see a Captcha. What in the blazes did I miss?
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

For the most part, a community lesson in account security, self-control, and troll management.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Use ASCII chars that are never used normally for passwords, 99% (idk if exist one) of brute force tests never use it for speed up.

password examples:
1)♣hi
2)▒▓│┤
3)■
4)☺ibmlord
4)     (not space, it char(255)

you can do all these Keys pressing alt + the char number,ex: (press and hold alt, type 1, type 7, type 8 on numpad, leave alt)
The only draw side, is that you'll need to copy and paste your password somewhere if you want to used it on smartphones/tablets

EDIT: but that doesn't help if the user is actually using some exploit for stealing the password (by the look, only old accounts, from 2005 to lower are being used)...
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Those are Code Page 437 characters.
Assuming the forum software allows Unicode passwords, would it not be better to use some random non-english password like "фвыадофыв0цоупщру" and know how to type it?
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

LEL, I would hack that in no time. Source: am Russian. /s
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Another great way to have a strong password: Use your username on other sites/games/emails etc that you'll never tell anyone here or everyone ever IRL as a password.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

4thcharacter wrote:Another great way to have a strong password: Use your username on other sites/games/emails etc that you'll never tell anyone here or everyone ever IRL as a password.
In principle, that's even worse than sharing passwords between the two. :|
edward850

Post by edward850 »

4thcharacter wrote:Another great way to have a strong password: Use your username on other sites/games/emails etc that you'll never tell anyone here or everyone ever IRL as a password.
I take it you've never heard of social engineering, then? Because that idea is at least 200% vulnerable to it, especially as you just told everyone it.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

NeuralStunner wrote:In principle, that's even worse than sharing passwords between the two. :|
In what way? If you're using the same screen names on every single site then don't. (it's a bad idea) Use a username on websites that you'll likely less tell anyone or be asked by anyone else about them. This actually depends on the person and how many total accounts they have throughout the internet sites.
edward850 wrote:
I take it you've never heard of social engineering, then? Because that idea is at least 200% vulnerable to it, especially as you just told everyone it.
You mean getting manipulated? Again, depends on the person. Not telling what sites you're also signed up to helps. Choosing usernames on sites that have different purpose or are awkward to ask helps. And you do know that there are tons of websites that an individual may signed up to and they could have used a username on a site that no one would think they use as a pass?
edward850

Post by edward850 »

All that requires you to consciously know you're are being manipulated in the first place. That's kinda the point of social engineering; you don't. And somebody who has the means and skill to get into your account via social engineering will very well think of your username, any username, as a password.

The people who usually break into these sorts of systems aren't stupid. In fact they are testing you as a person, and if you are a smart enough person to not use a public-facing phrase as a password.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”