EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VGA

Re: 3DGE 1.37 (Discussion, 60FPS, etc)

Post by VGA »

It seems those coordinates aren't close to that. I did some testing and it seems it has something to do with the texture size (original is sw1comm 64x72)

Other textures I tried worked.
But any texture I tried with height of 72 did not work.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Very interesting, I'll take a look and see what's happening. Some sort of truncation is going on there, but I'm not sure what's causing it yet.

EDIT: For Chronoteeth - I'll be happy in assisting your needs when it comes to ACTION buttons, or anything facilitating 3DGE, really. I just bought a new domain and installed a Wiki service (like the Zdoom Wiki, etc), so that should help with the documentation and features two-fold.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

ah fantastic! it'd be nice to use an updated edge code log too, the old one from the guy who was working on the robotech tc is far, far too old for everyone these days
VGA

Post by VGA »

Holy shit I stumbled into a bug of epic proportions while playing a wad from '94 :lol:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... ernity.zip

On e2m4 there is this point:
Spoiler:
That switch has a Door Stay Open special that affects the two walls left and right and the exit sign. But when activated, the sector with the Exit texture instantly drops to the ground. :o
I tested in Chocolate Doom, it works fine there.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Are you sure this is an 3DGE-specific issue VGA? ;)
VGA wrote:I tested in Chocolate Doom, it works fine there.
Chocolate Doom also contains the bug. Attached is the screenshot I took from within Chocolate Doom in the same spot after activating the switch - I used version 2.0.0. :o

Also, for your crosshair size suggestion, the following CVARs can be adjusted via the console:
Spoiler:
Attachments
choco.jpg
VGA

Post by VGA »

3/3 tries it screwed up on 3DGE and 2/2 times it works fine on Choco Doom (2.0). In fact I have savegames in both ports just before that switch and it's reproducible. But if it somehow screwes up on Choco on some occasions, then ... I don't know.

I just tried it on ultimate doom 1.9 and it works fine, I don't get it. How did you manage to get it to screw up on Choco?
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

TBH im waiting to create something new till 60 fps is in. Ive been doin some sprites on the side ready to go, I just wanna see how to create at double the FPS that im usually working with.
VGA

Post by VGA »

chronoteeth wrote:TBH im waiting to create something new till 60 fps is in. Ive been doin some sprites on the side ready to go, I just wanna see how to create at double the FPS that im usually working with.
But the game engine/logic runs at 35 regardless.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

yeah but exploiting a glitch I can make very smooth frames. itd be easier to mod them tbh. besides testing will be more fluent
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

VGA wrote:3/3 tries it screwed up on 3DGE and 2/2 times it works fine on Choco Doom (2.0). In fact I have savegames in both ports just before that switch and it's reproducible. But if it somehow screwes up on Choco on some occasions, then ... I don't know.

I just tried it on ultimate doom 1.9 and it works fine, I don't get it. How did you manage to get it to screw up on Choco?
Just played it the first time, I also saved right before the switch. The first playthrough I got the error, loaded and got the error, loaded AGAIN and it turned out fine. Just tried it out again today - 3 times it turned out fine, fourth time it did the same thing.

I'm not sure if it's the nature of just being an old map or what, but it's reproducible in ChocoDoom so I'm not looking into it. It's an old 1994 map anyway. ;)

@Chrono - I would start now. The rendering interpolation can take several weeks/months before it is properly finished, rest assured it is coming, but not right away. Best to start a WIP project right now, get a little hype, and then transition when it comes out.

Numbering scheme has been a little messed up when it comes to 3DGE, but just to be super clear - 1.36/1.37 is pretty much the version I released. 1.4 will have MD5 models and decals. 2.0 will have render-side interpolation and other new-wave port features. Those are a lot closer to release than anyone can imagine (1.4 might be here in less than 2+ weeks).
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

silly question, but the original hud is gonna be back later, right?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

chronoteeth wrote:silly question, but the original hud is gonna be back later, right?
Yes, it was an oversight (not including the original HUD by accident). You can always use the coal_hud.ec from any previous version of 3DGE 1.36 and it will fix that problem. I haven't properly combined the two together, it's on my immediate patch list.
VGA

Post by VGA »

I'd like to report a couple of annoyances:

1) The numpad's Enter key cannot be used as the normal Enter key. That's inconsistent with the original doom and with all ports I've tried.
2) The console doesn't pause the game. That's weird and is inconsistent with Zdoom and Eternity.

Also, a bug report:
1) I have a Logitech G15 keyboard. Pressing it's Mute button mutes the sound but also toggles the console. In my cfg I have this:

Code: Select all

key_console		0x60
which is the tilde key.
There is no problem in the other two ports I know that have a console: zdoom and eternity. I'm using the tilde key to toggle console there, too.

On another note, when you mention decal support for the future, do you mean 3DGE will have nice bullet,rocket etc decals on the walls? Like Zdoom? 8-)
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by HavoX »

I remember playing with EDGE a decade ago and I still remember the pitch of the music sounding a bit lower than most ports I've played.
I haven't gotten to testing 3DGE yet, but can someone confirm if this has this been fixed? :3:
VGA

Post by VGA »

HavoX wrote:I remember playing with EDGE a decade ago and I still remember the pitch of the music sounding a bit lower than most ports I've played.
I haven't gotten to testing 3DGE yet, but can someone confirm if this has this been fixed? :3:
The latest package has the GUS patches included, so just enable Timidity and restart it and test it and let us know.

Personally I'm getting some small cracks/hickups. And I've tried 3 different sound patches.

Return to “Game Engines”