The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thread. (aka ECWolf)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: The official "ZDoom on Wolfenstein 3D" thead. (aka ECWol

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Will this engine support weapon sprites that are at their standard resolution (Like Doom or RotT) instead of scaled up the way Wolf3D did it?
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

It does. Sprites are handled the same way as ZDoom.

Disclaimer: Really old screen shot follows. :p
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Woolie Wool posted this in the WIP thread:

It makes my lust for SVN builds all the greater.
Average

Post by Average »

Oh boy, oh boy. My brother's a crazy W3D fan. Wait till I show him this!

Just a question though: If this engine is essentially a modular set up using a form of decorate as opposed to all-in-one hard coding is this still really Wolfenstein 3D or is it essentially a 'crippled' version of something like ZDoom? I mean no trolling, I'm just really curious as to where the old game ends and the new engine begins... :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Average wrote:Oh boy, oh boy. My brother's a crazy W3D fan. Wait till I show him this!

Just a question though: If this engine is essentially a modular set up using a form of decorate as opposed to all-in-one hard coding is this still really Wolfenstein 3D or is it essentially a 'crippled' version of something like ZDoom? I mean no trolling, I'm just really curious as to where the old game ends and the new engine begins... :)
The very first post in this thread holds the answers you seek.
printz

Post by printz »

Please tell me that the DECORATE tic length is the same as in Wolfenstein 3D, i.e. 70 tics per second, not 35 like in Doom. No need to lower the resolution.
Gez

Post by Gez »

[quote="Kinsie"It makes my lust for SVN builds all the greater.[/quote]
Well, they'd be HG builds in any case.
printz wrote:Please tell me that the DECORATE tic length is the same as in Wolfenstein 3D, i.e. 70 tics per second, not 35 like in Doom. No need to lower the resolution.
The length is the same as in ZDoom, however you use half tics.

E.g.

Code: Select all

GARD ABCD 2.5
This is valid in ECWolf.
printz

Post by printz »

That's good I guess, but I wonder why so? To make easy porting between ECWolf and ZDoom?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Well, I'm waiting to see how long it takes for the first mod that works in both ZDoom and ECWolf. It also makes the ZDoom wiki more relevent overall.
Average

Post by Average »

Blzut3, do you see this project sitting side by side with Wolf4SDL? Or do you envisage it more as a next generation 'super Wolf' kind of thing?

I showed my brother the video above and that was his first question... :)
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I see this existing side-by-side with Wolf4SDL for the same reason Chocolate Doom exits (although PrBoom might be a better comparison for Wolf4SDL). Wolf4SDL also has a smaller memory footprint (although we're talking 18MB vs 22MB here) and lower CPU requirements which would also make it more suitable for porting to low end devices.

For mod creation I hope that ECWolf fully replaces Wolf4SDL as, although not quite as flexible as source code edits, ECWolf does future proof mods. (At least it will do so after 2.0 when backwards compatibility is kept. Which is not to say 2.0 won't run 1.0 mods, but mod authors will need to take note of and follow forwards compatibility tips as there are current a few things that I left unimplemented since it's good enough for Wolf3D/Spear.)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I wonder how long it will be before someone attempts to port Blake Stone to this. :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Or Shadowcaster!
printz

Post by printz »

Unless source code available, reverse-engineer baby :)
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Snarboo wrote:I wonder how long it will be before someone attempts to port Blake Stone to this. :)
Mac Wolf, Operation Body Count, Corridor 7, Blake Stone, and Super 3D Noah's Ark (In no particular order there except Mac Wolf is slated for 2.0) are all in the plans for support. Rott is also planned, but given that it'll be the last thing to be supported I can't make any promises that it'll even be possible at that point. Rott is also complicated as it has its source code released under the GPL, but I can't use that outside of what can go in ecwolf.pk3 (because of my dual licensing).

If anyone wants to help they're more than welcome to reverse engineer those games and send me the notes (pseudo-decorate, action pointer descriptions, any data file format differences, the palette, etc). The easier it is for me the support the game, the sooner you'll see support in ECWolf. ;)
Gez wrote:Or Shadowcaster!
Unlikely, I doubt ECWolf will ever support slopes or any height differences at all without portals. I guess you're more than welcome to fork, implement it, and send a pull request though. :p

Return to “Game Engines”