A_NoFireReturn

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

A_NoFireReturn

Post by wildweasel »

I don't see any existing feature that works like this, so I'm requesting it.

The way EDGE's nofire_return pointer works is when it encounters the pointer, it acts as if nothing is there, but if the player is currently not firing the weapon when the pointer is reached, the weapon will pick up where it left off in the firing state the next time the trigger is pulled. For example, an akimbo pistol definition:

Code: Select all

(...)
Attack:
PS1F A 2 BRIGHT A_FireBullets(...)
PS1G A 2 A_NofireReturn
PS1F B 2 BRIGHT A_FireBullets(...)
PS1G A 2
Goto Ready
(...)
On the first fire, the first two frames would play. The next fire plays the second two frames and continue as normal, resetting the state.

I realize a similar effect can be hacked together with A_JumpIfInventory and several extra states, but this would be a more elegant and user-friendly system.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Basicly, you want like another command, but instead of the A_Jumpifinventory one, it would similarily act kind of like another attack on the same button.. Probably didn't write that right, but you need this option so you could make Akimbo Pistols work properly, IE. Make one gun shoot, and depending how long the user wants to wait, he'll shoot on the other gun after he presses the fire button again.. Kinda right?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I cite Immoral Conduct SE's dual 1911's as an example. The way they work normally (ie. when the button is held), they fire in an alternating pattern. If one were to merely click the button once, only one of the pistols would fire. If they were to click the button again, the other pistol would fire, and the cycle starts over on the next click after that.

A more complicated example would be the Helix Cannon in my own EDGE mod, WW-BNI.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

This can be emulated using A_JumpIfInventory and stuff (Zen's Nailgun is a good example), but I do agree that adding this would help out a hell of alot.
ant1991331

Post by ant1991331 »

I WAS going to say that, but you bet me...
wildweasel

Re: A_NoFireReturn

Post by wildweasel »

wildweasel, in the first friggin post, wrote: I realize a similar effect can be hacked together with A_JumpIfInventory and several extra states, but this would be a more elegant and user-friendly system.
ant1991331

Post by ant1991331 »

Ahh, its the same thing my friend. Calm down.

Try using A_Jump(chance,howmany?)

THE GUY HAS SPOKEN!!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

How does that help me? I need a nofire_return to emulate the Helix Cannon from WW-BNI. JumpIfInventory would be totally ridiculous to use, and A_Jump doesn't even help in this case. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I don't see how I could explain it any better.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”