bullet-time?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Try using "-timerdelay" command line option, it specifies delay of one tic in ms (default value is 1000/35).
anonone

Post by anonone »

Well, that answers that. :)
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

No it doesn't, since the original suggestion was for an effect that could be applied through a powerup, not a command line option to slow the game's overall speed.

It's always been possible to slow the Doom engine speed, that's how "cheated" or TAS demos are created, traditionally with an associated reduction of framerate whilst playing. Since, as someone already said, ZDoom decouples tics from framerate, presumably that wouldn't be the case anymore. Obviously hitscan weapons remain instant, but you have more time to react inbetween shots, which does provide a significant advantage.

Anyway, I don't see any major technical obstacle to actually implementing this feature, but I wouldn't really recommend it be priority. It seems more like the kind of thing to be implemented within a TC's custom engine than in the main ZDoom branch.
anonone

Post by anonone »

Actually, I spent most of last night trying to see how the -ticdelay parameter affects everything. Of course I'm starting with no clue as to how Randy implemented the interpolation to begin with, but it seems to be exceptionally difficult to dynamically (and smoothly) change the tic delay ingame -- mostly because I can't find where the tic delay even comes into effect. It's defined once at the engine startup, has no further references related to interpolation anywhere else in the ticking functions (?!), but everything just works.

If anybody else has seen anything pertaining to that in the code, I'd appreciate some help. :)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”