[idea] Official Unofficial ZDoom Build

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I though that was Dual Screen.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

zDoom can already handle 179 degrees field of vision. i'd like to see 360. <_< Not quadscreen or whatever.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

179 is the maximum the code can handle. With 180 or more it would create overflows.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Phobus - Tell me, what happens when you put two dual screens together. How many is that?
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Exactly as many as one fourth the cost of a graphics board that can run those four monitors at the same time.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

zDoom can already handle 179 degrees field of vision. i'd like to see 360. <_< Not quadscreen or whatever.
Hm, maybe you could take some code off Aardappel's PanQuake.

As for the unoffical release, a common name would be "2.0.96-gz1" or similar, like it is done on the Linux Kernel and many other projects: Linux Distributions do it all over the place. (They got a "base" version and a "release". Former: 2.0.96, latter: gz1)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Ah, but is there a computer available that can run 4 screens yet, Skunk?
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

Windows XP can run much more than four screens, and assuming you put the proper number of Video cards in, of course
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Is that a easy thing to do without a big computer and lots of money to get all of the stuff you need for 4 screens though, and also, what would you do with 4 screens anyway? 1 for game, 1 for map, 1 for media player (any game could run this way with the power required to run that system) and 1 for.... MSN? Forums?
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

COMMENT ON TOPIC AMONG THE OFFTOPIC STUFF!
LOOK AT ME!!!

I really like this idea. Randy doesn't seem to have too much time. Graf and Grubber however frequent here a lot nowadays.

If not an unofficial version than perhaps some sort of cooperation between Randy, Graf and Grubber would be really much better than what has been anticapated of un-compatibility between officials and unofficial versions of Zdoom.

A cooperation would only bring more goodies. More frequent updates, more new stuff being coded, more bugs fixed. Zdoom would really grow into the most advanced sourceport.
Last edited by Nmn on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Phobus - Four screens surrounding you so when you turn your head you don't have to turn the mouse.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

That could become seriously wasted without surround sound, and how do you intend for that to work with a game like Doom?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Phobus wrote:how do you intend for that to work with a game like Doom?
Funny thing is, early versions of Doom used to support 3 monitors (kind of) - you started a network game using the -left and -right parameters on machines whose monitors were placed to the left and right of your main one to provide a more wrap-round view. I have no idea how well it worked though.

I also believe there was a way of making Doom compatable with at least one make of VR goggles.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

As for the Officaly Unoffical ZD... I know of a couple of programs that have offical unoffical versions of their software, only they use the phrase "Unsupported" and warn downloaders in big red letters that the creators are not responsible for any problems in this unoffical version. We should do that. Name it how ever you want. Just get the big mans permission first.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Skunk wrote:Phobus - Four screens surrounding you so when you turn your head you don't have to turn the mouse.
That makes me feel like in a MechWarrior - turn machine / turn torso / move reticle :-)

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”