Eternal doom - fps or platformer?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Eternal doom - fps or platformer?

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

After years of waiting, and after putting my hands on a new, decent video card, despite the prices and everything, today i've finally managed to play doom eternal.
I played doom 2016 one time, several years ago, and i didn't like it. I stopped at, say, map 04 or like, beacuse i found a giant chasm to jump and i never managed to cross it. I hoped that this installment would have been better, but i found myself trapped in a nuthouse of jumping, double jumping, sprinting, double sprinting in air... i managed to reach map 02, then, AGAIN, found a jump madness that is beyond me. The worst about these games is that there aren't cheat codes around, so this is basically game over. The only thing to do was to quit and uninstall the game.
So i just ask : is this an fps or a platformer game? Because i don't get it. I don't want to play a game where there are 100 jumps on a level and you have to repeat everything 1000 times until you manage to do it, like those 90s metroidvania games. The platforming thing seems much more predominant than the shooting part.
This is not a rant, just a question.
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Eternal doom - fps or platformer?

Post by yum13241 »

Most FPSes these days require lots of movement, think more Quake and less 1993 Doom. The movement is more complex in newer games.
SaveTheDoomer

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Yeah, i played a lot of fps after the old doom, but ì've never encountered such a jump maze like this. I saw other people complaining about the platforming thing that never completed the game.
chutzcraft
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by chutzcraft »

I personally found Eternal's platforming mechanics super engaging and fun to try out. This is coming from someone that played through both Metroid Prime and Echoes in its heyday on the Gamecube. So you could imagine my thrill getting to relive those moments again. Doom Eternal is a FPS first and Action-Adventure game second. I use the last bit loosely, because you ARE using jumps and mechanical platforming to get around optional and mandatory areas. My advice is to get used to the earlier levels, and try out the tutorial. Quake & Quake 2 werent like this but Quake 2 for the N64 had some zero-gravity areas where you had to jump carefully or fall into the void of space.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

What I meant by "think of Quake" was that Quake has more complex movement mechanics than Doom. Doom movement amounts to "move, strafe, backpedal" while Quake movement is more complex. You got bunnyhopping, accel jumping, rocketjumps, and more. In Doom Eternal you have stuff like the Meathook which helps you move around the level. It makes the game more fastpaced and fluid. Being stuck to the ground isn't considered fun by most people (unless you like Doom) It also raises the skill ceiling of the game.
SaveTheDoomer

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

While I understand the introduction of new movements and skills on combat, i don’t like at all the jump puzzles. Monkey bars? Flaming rotating things? Flying platforms? Are we back to 16-bit scrolling platformers? This and that checkpoint-only savegame system, makes everything frustrating.
Another thing that i really disliked is the overwhelming amount of combat features : press this for flamethrower, that for grenades, that other for switch grenades, others for sword, chainsaw, punch, fatality… Enough! Man, it’s and headache. And the fact that you have to kill enemies to get armor, health, ammo… that’s nonsensical for me.
One last downside, is the entire fantasy setting : Kings? Black knights that seems to come from a bad comic book? And those “Gondor” levels? Is this a LOTR ripoff or what? Where this fantasy madness came from? This really makes me wonder. Maybe because fantasy sells?
This game is a mess for me, I’m out.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

That's partially since more complex combat raises the skill ceiling. Nowadays people want more complex combat systems than "shoot, gtfo, run, circlestrafe".

Doom as it is today is a science fiction hell. (as in the game takes place in Hell)

Technically Classic Doom is a fantasy, since it can never actually happen.

However at the end of the day play whatever you want.

I feel you when it comes to mods though, some mods need way too many keybindings. Checkpoints are kinda annoying I get that.

Fantasy does sell. Otherwise Doom would be a boring (edutainment) game. Or even worse, this...

SaveTheDoomer

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

By fantasy i obviously mean the LOTR things, like the sentinels and similar things, they seems totally out of place. Doom was about an hellish invasion on some space base, a sci-fi/horror, sentinels/maykr and shit like that are unnecessary additions for me.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

SaveTheDoomer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 am While I understand the introduction of new movements and skills on combat, i don’t like at all the jump puzzles. Monkey bars? Flaming rotating things? Flying platforms? Are we back to 16-bit scrolling platformers? This and that checkpoint-only savegame system, makes everything frustrating.
Another thing that i really disliked is the overwhelming amount of combat features : press this for flamethrower, that for grenades, that other for switch grenades, others for sword, chainsaw, punch, fatality… Enough! Man, it’s and headache. And the fact that you have to kill enemies to get armor, health, ammo… that’s nonsensical for me.
One last downside, is the entire fantasy setting : Kings? Black knights that seems to come from a bad comic book? And those “Gondor” levels? Is this a LOTR ripoff or what? Where this fantasy madness came from? This really makes me wonder. Maybe because fantasy sells?
This game is a mess for me, I’m out.
This is the most honest thing I read, I too played eternal based on the hype, but it's has strayed too far from traditional doom. All the jumping around and hanging on to stuff definitely is more platform centric, even engaging enemies requires you to jump way too much. If you just put a fixed camera on the gameplay you will see that it's just a bunny hopping madness. I would rather buy a new doom that is more closer to traditional doom gameplay then with all the new mechanics. I mean what's next? Crafting Shields and platforms 😆

Return to “Off-Topic”