The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Marisa the Magician »

So I survived through the arduous period that is Spanish Christmas holidays, from the evening of the 24th of December, to the afternoon of the 6th of January. Just... A lot, really. Too many family lunches/dinners to count.

And all I got out of it was this lousy flu I have now.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

phantombeta wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:44 pm Yikes! that sounds like you might have an extremely serious wiring issue in your house, like a floating neutral. You should get that checked ASAP!
Aye, the thought had crossed my mind, although both the socket the PC was connected to and the double-socket for my media centre were only replaced last year. Right now they're both working, although the PC socket is only powering a lamp and an external hard drive. Gonna have a word with the electricity board in the morning.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Marisa the Magician wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:57 am So I survived through the arduous period that is Spanish Christmas holidays, from the evening of the 24th of December, to the afternoon of the 6th of January. Just... A lot, really. Too many family lunches/dinners to count.

And all I got out of it was this lousy flu I have now.
I'm sorry to hear that this year's holidays are getting complicated and busy. Also damn, the flu. I hope you can get some rest and be well soon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

scalliano wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:29 am
phantombeta wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:44 pm Yikes! that sounds like you might have an extremely serious wiring issue in your house, like a floating neutral. You should get that checked ASAP!
Aye, the thought had crossed my mind, although both the socket the PC was connected to and the double-socket for my media centre were only replaced last year. Right now they're both working, although the PC socket is only powering a lamp and an external hard drive. Gonna have a word with the electricity board in the morning.
A thing you can also try, if there's a hardware store near you, is pick up an outlet-tester. They'll usually look like one of these:

and they plug directly into a power outlet and will show you some lights to indicate if there's a specific fault in the wiring. That can be useful information when calling for maintenance.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Cheers, I'll be out shopping tomorrow anyway, so I'll keep an eye out.

EDIT: So the electricians are just away from the door - they ran a bunch of tests and according to them there aren't any issues with my wiring or fuses, so there's that. It does mean that the issue is most likely with the PC, maybe a short somewhere. Perhaps not a huge surprise since I built it in back 2015 and was due an upgrade soon all the same, although I had put a 2070 Super in it back in 2019 and I'll be gutted if that's fried.

Now that I can rule out the electrics, I do fortunately have the parts to Frankenstein together a backup while I wait for the new rig to show up, although I'll need to sort out a new PSU. I'm just glad I held on to those old 970s so that I can at least have a workstation/media PC in the interim if the 2070 is fried. I need to do something because this old laptop just isn't up to it.

Wish me luck, I guess...
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

UPDATE!

PSU arrived today, and the FrankenPC is now up and running. Obviously pretty barebones at this point, but the plan now is that this will be my workstation for the forseeable once I install some storage media other than the single 1TB NVME that it's currently running on. Should keep me going until the new gaming rig shows up.

Now, if I can just suss out how to disable that bloody RGB...
yum13241
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

Delete System32, that's how! :twisted: (DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS)

Anyways, I just downloaded SuperTuxParty, a Mario Party clone.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Glad you're up and running again scalliano. Being sans computer is more than frustrating - in fact it's more like (temporarily) losing a part of you.

As for me, a bit late on this one, but the New Year party at Totentanz was bangin'
Spoiler:
Yes, still playing Cyberpunk. Though real-life is such* that I can usually only drop in for a few minutes, drive around Night City for a while and then quit.
*It's also why I am struggling to be around here as often as I would like at the moment. Hoping this won't last too much longer.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

scalliano wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:57 amNow, if I can just suss out how to disable that bloody RGB...
Often this is somewhere in the BIOS settings, under a category like Peripherals. If not, check if there is a downloadable app to install from the mobo manufacturer that has RGB controls in it.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

Recently, I've been struggling with acne issues, so I decided to take action and undergo laser therapy to remove my entire beard.

To my surprise, I reconnected with seven old friends from high school after reaching out to them. We now get together every Thursday and it's been an amazing experience. I couldn't believe we had lost touch for over a decade. It all started with a thought-provoking Reddit post about things we might regret when we die. I'm so glad I made the decision to reach out to them.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

That's great! (the reconnecting part)

Asking out of curiosity, what do you do together?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Good for you man! It's always neat and surprising to meet friends lost in touch for a long time. I hope you have fun there.

And about zits problem, please do get a successful treatment. Reminds me of my teen days where i couldn't avoid having multiple of them. I still get it, but just one by one.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

yum13241 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:16 pm That's great! (the reconnecting part)

Asking out of curiosity, what do you do together?
We often get together, hanging out at each other's houses, playing games, chatting, and having a lot of laughs. We've also gone out to dinner at a sushi restaurant a few times. It's been great fun. ;)
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Do you play Doom there? :lol:

Anyways, I last downloaded SRB2 mods.
Gez

Post by Gez »

tuintje wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 pm Recently, I've been struggling with acne issues, so I decided to take action and undergo laser therapy to remove my entire head.
Somehow that's what I read at first. It seemed rather drastic.

Return to “Off-Topic”