ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Artbor
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Artbor »

I'd like to suggest an edit for your consideration.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standalone_games
REKKR: Sunken Land ships with GZDoom. While the game itself doesn't utilise any GZDoom features in its gameplay/levels (the wad/deh runs with any source port without issues), it might be still worth adding to this list.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1715 ... nken_Land/
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Artbor wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 am I'd like to suggest an edit for your consideration.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standalone_games
REKKR: Sunken Land ships with GZDoom. While the game itself doesn't utilise any GZDoom features in its gameplay/levels (the wad/deh runs with any source port without issues), it might be still worth adding to this list.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1715 ... nken_Land/
REKKR was intended to run on the stock.exe and is thus an IWAD there. Sunken Land can also run in DOS but needs Doom2 IWAD.

Since i don't have access to Sunken Land i am going to assume that the Steam version uses an IPK3 (Which makes the most sense since otherwise the game is illegal). So ill add it in the list. :)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

To contributors: please be mindful of how you use the {{new}} and {{git}} templates. If you're adding documentation on a newly-added feature, then by all means, use the templates accordingly. If, however, you're writing an article about a certain topic from which you're linking to a new feature, then don't use the templates in the article; a curious reader would just click on the link to the feature's page where all the needed information is there, including whether the feature is brand new or not.

Edit:

Another thing, regarding the {{new}} template: make it a habit to pass in the version number. Because without it, the version number will be taken from the {{latest}} template. {{latest}} always points to the latest release version number. So if there are features that are marked without an explicit version number, once a new version of GZDoom is released and {{latest}} is updated, the version number for those features will also be automatically updated, pointing to the wrong version number.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'm thinking of updating the formatting and styling of function pages a little. As a test for this, I used the ACS function Warp: What do people think?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

It looks nice, but it also makes the page a LOT longer with whitespace. The original page, I can see all the parameters on a 1080p browser window. On the updated page, just the flags alone take up an entire screen.

What's the rationale for the change?

EDIT: I also do like the use of monospace font in appropriate places.

8-)
Last edited by Caligari87 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

I think having more whitespace really helps with the readability here. Comparing the two versions side by side, the new one is far easier to read, while the current version is too dense. The new one might take up more space, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes, the fact that the page takes up more vertical space is a bit annoying, but as phantombeta said, readability is improved, with text no longer being jammed together.

As for why: I wanted to fix styling and formatting inconsistencies between the pages, and I thought if I'm going to go through all the pages, I might as well improve things a little.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

phantombeta wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:22 pm I think having more whitespace really helps with the readability here. Comparing the two versions side by side, the new one is far easier to read, while the current version is too dense. The new one might take up more space, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Whitespace is all about balance. A lot of modern websites fail at this by introducing entire seas worth of whitespace that actually damages the readability.

Fortunately the ZDoomwiki isn't a modern website :lol: but some ideas:

Personally i like the new layout aswell because it fonts code the way it should (cursive, etc) and thus stands out from the now default layout. I like that it is visible that we are talking about a code variable here and now just a piece of text.
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

If you reduce the vertical paddings/margins between the flags' intro line and their descriptions you may nearly half the vertical space occupied by them.
Megablast

Post by Megablast »

The new version is pretty nice, the only downside is what Cali mentioned, you kind of lose being able to picture every parameter and flag at once. Adding the data types and extra text styles is a big plus too!
ZzZombo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:40 am If you reduce the vertical paddings/margins between the flags' intro line and their descriptions you may nearly half the vertical space occupied by them.
I agree with this, the even spacing between every single line was throwing me off a bit.

Ex with space removed under Param names:

I'm not really sure how you could lessen the vertical space anymore without doing something like..
Param (DataType) || Description
Which pretty much brings us back to the original with a data type and better text styling + white space between each row.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Perhaps use the new list for args, but keep the old list for flags (since they're a sub-list).
Professor Hastig
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Professor Hastig »

Whitespace is good if it separates items. The new design not only separates items but also the header from the accompanying content, and the spacing looks to be identical. This doesn't really help with associating content.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

The parameter names (and types) already serve as visual separators, so the bigger paragraph space doesn't look really needed. The improved readability, to me, comes from the name and description parts being separated to two lines. Also I like the default value being in an easy to spot, uh, spot, but perhaps it could be put in the "header" line after the type? It would be more condensed but still much more navigable than at the end of the description.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I decided to put the flags in a table. It should be better, I think.
Megablast

Post by Megablast »

The flag table improves it a lot. Nice job!

I still vouch for less space between the parameter names and their descriptions but I can live with how it is now.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”