Opinions about "libraryofbabel.info"

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clown_Number_42
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Opinions about "libraryofbabel.info"

Post by Clown_Number_42 »

As far as i know, the website is a RNG library archive, filled with countless pages of randomly generated button mashing. It somehow knew my biological mother's name, what she was guilty of doing and where i grew up for my first few years. But one of the things i found out that's more shocking to me that the library knew to be true after i knew the same thing to be true via screwing around and finding out, The purpose for pain and the reason for why evil or unspeakable things most of us don't want to recognize the existence of are a blight in our lives.

I don't know about you broski's, but something's seriously up with this website. Aside from this, i would like to hear your opinions about the website should you ever have used it before, like what things did you find out that it knew about you and how did you react?
InsanityBringer

Re: Opinions about "libraryofbabel.info"

Post by InsanityBringer »

The library of babel is, at least hypothetically (the amount of storage needed to actually create this would be insanely large and impossible to store, so I think the website uses a system to create things on demand), full of every possible permutation of up to 3000 characters of the letters a-z, commas, periods, and spaces. It "knows" everything because in theory it contains every possible coherent English string, including every coherent string that contains a true fact, but any potential usefulness is hindered by the library being full of absolute gibberish due to this nature.

Really, the whole thing is just an implementation of an old Spanish short story
Clown_Number_42

InsanityBringer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:01 pm The library of babel is, at least hypothetically (the amount of storage needed to actually create this would be insanely large and impossible to store, so I think the website uses a system to create things on demand), full of every possible permutation of up to 3000 characters of the letters a-z, commas, periods, and spaces. It "knows" everything because in theory it contains every possible coherent English string, including every coherent string that contains a true fact, but any potential usefulness is hindered by the library being full of absolute gibberish due to this nature.

Really, the whole thing is just an implementation of an old Spanish short story
Wait a minute, if the LoB technically has everything, does that mean that it has stuff hidden in the gibberish, beneath the countless lies that will make someone put on their best Sigma impersonation and yell "HET UNIVERSUM ZINGT VOOR MIJ!" should the wrong person know how to easily find the truth about what they're looking for in the RNG?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Clown_Number_42 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 amIt somehow knew my biological mother's name, what she was guilty of doing and where i grew up for my first few years.
Given that it only "has" this information by virtue of it being searched for and found algorithmically, and logically cannot actually store any of it, it begs the question of why you were putting in such personal information into their search box.

I could just as easily put in something like "Muskrat likes peas" or "George Washington isn't dead" and it would find that just as easily, even though neither of those things are true.
Clown_Number_42

wildweasel wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:04 pm
Clown_Number_42 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 amIt somehow knew my biological mother's name, what she was guilty of doing and where i grew up for my first few years.
Given that it only "has" this information by virtue of it being searched for and found algorithmically, and logically cannot actually store any of it, it begs the question of why you were putting in such personal information into their search box.

I could just as easily put in something like "Muskrat likes peas" or "George Washington isn't dead" and it would find that just as easily, even though neither of those things are true.

That's a good question but here's the thing, i found what i already learned to be true first-hand up to this point to somehow be on there. I was clueless about if that site already knew, that being said, i'm quite surprised how i somehow for whatever reason wound up being one of the "lucky" ones to be able to handle some of the kind of information i mentioned right above your message.

Although it goes without saying that i've felt obligated to use this info for the intended means. An example being an in-depth realization of why "Good is not soft or nice and dark is Evil for a very good reason.".

But needless to say, once i had that realization, i just lost the will to fight or continue being stubborn. It would be wise for you to fold your cards for a new hand too as i did. Although i am grateful that i finally managed to win against my main addiction once i did.

In-case you ever wonder what happened, i was an extremely arrogant & power hungry kid to the time i was in freshman year, where i started inevitably paying the piper, going through extreme suffering for the next 6 or 7 years. In regards to the reason why i put a bit of my personal info in the LoB website is because i already know by looking that it would be a herculean task in itself to separate the truth of the matter from the numerous generated misconceptions about the same thing.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

If I write down every date between 1900 and now, do I "know" your birthday?

That's all LoB is doing. It's the infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters meme. It doesn't "know" anything.

8-)

Return to “Off-Topic”