Duke sound fx quality seems off?

Trooper11

Duke sound fx quality seems off?

Post by Trooper11 »

Hey, I'm coming from eDuke32 and I really like how the raze renderer looks with palette emulation and original sector lighting. Only problem is the game sounds strange, almost underwater? Any ideas?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Duke sound fx quality seems off?

Post by wildweasel »

There's a setting under the Sound Options that filters the sound, which is on by default. Disable this filter and you'll be back to your crispy Duke.
Trooper11

Post by Trooper11 »

Figured it out. Had to set OpenAl resampling to Nearest and restart audio. Thanks!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of speakers are you using?
For me the noise being added to the sound mix by the lack of interpolation is unbearable.
Trooper11

Post by Trooper11 »

I'm using Koss PortaPro headphones with AutoEQ applied. I guess it's a question of whether you want things to sound scratchy or muffled, I prefer scratchy.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I use a home theatre stereo system. I even hear the recording background hiss on some poorly produced samples with that...
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You can try a little compromise and use Cubic. It should soften the blow a little bit but bring the littlest bit of charm out. It still sounds a little muffled but it's nowhere near as bad as muffled as linear sounds.

But fact is fact - the sample rate on that audio is just horrible. Squeezing that much digitized audio into a 20 meg uncompressed archive before mp3 was widely available was not easy.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I know. Many of Dukes sounds are below 8kHz, some even below 6. They could have used ADPCM compression which would have increased their budget sufficiently to do everything at 11 kHz.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

You could also try Dzierzan's HQ sound pack
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

There was/is a sound replacement using the sounds from the PSX release, which are all 22kHz. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but there's actually a lot more depth and detail in the sounds. Sadly, not all sounds are available and some are too different from the PC version to use, but the rest is 100% authentic and a solid sound replacement for the base game, like Per Kristian's highres sounds for Doom.

Return to “General”