Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

The first problem could just be me not paying attention, so I'll write it off. As for the second (the mod becoming the separator) I move the separator up past a mod using the up arrow key, and then click another preset in the preset list. Once I click on the previous preset I just moved a separator in, the bug occurs.

EDIT: Adding a gif to make it clearer.

Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:38 am The first problem could just be me not paying attention, so I'll write it off. As for the second (the mod becoming the separator) I move the separator up past a mod using the up arrow key, and then click another preset in the preset list. Once I click on the previous preset I just moved a separator in, the bug occurs.
Thank you, i found it and fixed it.
Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

Hi guys, 1.6 has been released.

Most relevant changes are:
  • Audio and Video options have been moved to a new tab to allow shrinking the launcher for smaller resolution monitors.
  • Re-enabled Gameplay options and Compatibility options for Standard (Default) launch mode.
  • Added possibility to display the engine's standard output and process state.
  • Added possibility to export a preset into a file shortcut on Windows.
  • Added ability to automatically use preset name as a directory for saves and screenshots.
  • Added "Show FPS" checkbox to Video options.
  • Added an option to select a compatibility level for ZDoom and PrBoom based engines.
  • Added support for more non-ZDoom engines with ability to manually select source port family.

This is probably the last bigger feature release. I consider this project successfully finished. After this, i'm going to do only bug-fixes and minor improvements, and maybe a very simple feature from time to time. Of course there is still infinite number of ideas for possible next improvements and features, but it really costs a lot of time and life energy and i had to draw a line somewhere. Hopefully you will find it useful even at the current state.

Download here: https://github.com/Youda008/DoomRunner/ ... s/tag/v1.6
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

This release is the best one yet. Finally there's a proper way to add complevel settings without having to add them manually!

I can see my requested Master Levels support didn't make the cut this time, but I hope it'll still get added even though adding features is basically done.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

For some reason it won't save any of the info I put in and makes me do the initial setup each time. This didn't happen with any prior releases. Do you know what might be causing this? Do you need any info from me to help diagnose it?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Version 1.6.1 is out. My personal highlight: support for Master Levels (including unofficial ones)!
Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

Casualfan wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:51 pm For some reason it won't save any of the info I put in and makes me do the initial setup each time. This didn't happen with any prior releases. Do you know what might be causing this? Do you need any info from me to help diagnose it?
My fault. It was fixed in 1.6.2. Sorry about that.
Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

Hello guys. I implemented an experimental feature and i would like to hear your opinions first before releasing it to the public.

Previously you could control where some of the options get saved (into a preset or for the whole launcher) via this setting

but with this you can only chose it for all of the options on the second tab together, so if you wanted for example to have different compatibility level for each preset, you had to then set gameplay options also for each preset.

The new mechanism makes this choice more granular and allows to select it for each of the option groups separately. Here's an example:

Would this improve the experience for you or is it becomming too complicated?
And would you like to also choose storage for the Output Options or it makes no sense there?

Download here: https://github.com/Youda008/DoomRunner/ ... static.zip
TheRatCircus
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TheRatCircus »

I don't think it would be too complicated (although I have a bias towards being more tolerant of complexity). Being able to change output options per-preset would be useful for me, at least, because I have certain development presets in which I disable music. It would also be a pretty good place to put an option that adds the `-norun` launch argument for when I just want to check that my code successfully compiles.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hi, thank you for continuing to update this launcher. It's been my launcher of choice lately. :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have tried many launchers, and for me this is the best one. As simple as that.
Nash

Post by Nash »

GZDoom 4.9.0 was updated to use the user's folders for saves and screenshots, should Doom Runner be updated to recognize that?
Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

Nash wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:03 am GZDoom 4.9.0 was updated to use the user's folders for saves and screenshots, should Doom Runner be updated to recognize that?
Hm, this is a problem. There is no easy way to recognize the version of GZDoom, and there are many people (including me) who use older version of GZDoom for various reasons, so i can't just change the behaviour for every GZDoom across the board.
However there is an easy workaround for you. If you go to Initial Setup and double-click on engine, you can manually modify the Config dir to point to AppData or whatever is the new location.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

You can always point DR to a specific config in the "Files" tab. For me, basically nothing changed.
Felix_Margarita
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Steamos 3.4.11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Felix_Margarita »

Created an account just to ask - is it possible to make this launcher operational on the Steam Deck? ZDL is the one that works the best so far (and it does a serviceable job) but something with a more fleshed out GUI would be so nice.

Return to “Launchers”