[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bimshwel

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by bimshwel »

ah I see that! thank you for acknowledging my gripe!

since I am here anyway and have the gif uploaded elsewhere, here is an annoying imp exploding.

Some of its orientations are reversed from the original 2005 bloody edition, but only because it is an alternate of a redraw that does match the original's orientation that I simply didn't bother to make a gif of.
The actual in game object sends most of its bits as separate objects to avoid visual conflicts with scenery, as it is rather wide otherwise.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

That is truly a [Cartoon Splat Noise]-worth moment.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ludicrous Gibs, now in cartoon violence! Really nice job making it seamless and fluid.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Not ludicrous enough! I might have another monster toss out pieces of snack mix when slain similarly, but I already am making too many unimportant component of this harder than they need to be.
even this one still needs more tweaking to look properly in the game and not cause too much lag when loading the graphics each session. Thank you for finding merit in the example gif at least!
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

OH DEAR, THE ITALIAN CHEF STRIKES AGAIN
peppinoshotguninreal1.gif
peppinoshotguninreal1.gif (9.41 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
(Credits: Pizza Tower Guy/McPigJr)
Yes i know the thing's lil' janky, but hey i'm getting there.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

...JoeyTD really liked this one, and i bet some folks in the forums will, too.
Frame A
Frame A
skulltagstorma0.png (7.01 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
Frame B
Frame B
skulltagstormb0.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
(Credits: JoeyTD, iD Software)
Lucas Kord

Post by Lucas Kord »

Series of sprites i made the last 3 weeks. Free to use.

Modern AK. Creds Ubisoft
As Val. Creds Ubisoft
FAL. Creds Ubisoft
M320. Creds DICE
M16. Found it in GMOD. Don't know the author.
M79. Creds DICE
M14 EBR. Creds DICE
SPAS -12. Creds Ubisoft
Last edited by Lucas Kord on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucas Kord

Post by Lucas Kord »

ALSO updated double barrel. New shells and pick up sprite.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Excellent job on finishing these highly detailed awesome weapon sprites within 3 weeks. Seems hella quick in a good way. :D

Please keep up the good work!
inkoalawetrust
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by inkoalawetrust »

Hello everyone, I have remade Brutal Doom's old sprite based tanks into a model that has been rendered into sprites. As practice for making my own more original vehicle models.

I have made a full sprite sheet of the tanks' chassis moving and being destroyed, and of the turret firing it's cannon and minigun, and being destroyed.

Here is a preview sprite sheet of some of the tank sprites I have made:

And here are Brutal Doom's own tank sprites for reference:

Image Image Image

This is not the complete sprite set as I have made 100 sprites for the turret alone, and adding them manually in a sheet would take forever.

Instead, I have packaged all of the sprites in an archive, and have also made dedicated editor sprites for the tank*, and have went over and given offsets to all of them, so nobody else has to do that themselves. The archive includes a test actor with code comments inside it for modders, the comments are instructions on how to properly use the sprites in-game without rendering issues.
In addition to the full prepared sprite sheet and instructions on how to use it, I have also made the Blender project files for the tank public.

The downloads for both the full sprite sheet and the Blender project files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I have also made a few renders of the tank:
Spoiler:
The full resolution renders can be found in this album: https://imgur.com/a/YyOAGsZ

*The tank is meant to be used with the chassis and turret being separate actors, so only one of the two halves of the tank would appear in UDB or SLADE, so I made editor sprites of the whole tank for this purpose. Of course, you can also just put together the chassis and turret sprites, and turn the tank into a single actor if you want.
Last edited by inkoalawetrust on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas Kord

Post by Lucas Kord »

Well DONE. Satisfactory results.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Lucas Kord wrote:Series of sprites i made the last 3 weeks. Free to use.

Modern AK. Creds Ubisoft
As Val. Creds Ubisoft
FAL. Creds Ubisoft
M320. Creds DICE
M16. Found it in GMOD. Don't know the author.
M79. Creds DICE
M14 EBR. Creds DICE
SPAS -12. Creds Ubisoft
u should make a thread so its easier to find your sprites, they're great !!
Callie-Mary

Post by Callie-Mary »

DenisBelmondo wrote: trying to get a good blender workflow and material system going to very easily render models for use as doom sprites with as little editing as possible. a lot of these i'm probably not going to use but i'll post my experiments here for the sake of. something
(antique quote source)
All I can tell you is that there is great untapped potential in mixing 3D/2D workflow with modern technomagic:
<Bloax> so to chunk it up:
<Bloax> Models of an animated object's silhouette can be used as a base for style transfer.
<Bloax> through the power of 3D editor, it's entirely realistic to make the animations crazy smooth, and to have each relevant "section" of a model be plastered with motion-estimation-friendly patterns - each section with a different colour would likely result in better cross-over depth-tracking
<Bloax> Then a ""style"", which is actually the drawn sprite, is drawn over the model at a higher-than-final resolution, the exact starting frame is likely a matter of Trial & Error
<Bloax> If the result is satisfactory, further enhancement can be done through swapping the materials of the model to a 50% grey and playing with shadows and lights on the model within the 3D editor
<Bloax> so as to exploit the 3D object's structure to roughly enhance the depth of the drawn sprite
<Bloax> that should be the bulk of the technique, with the rest being cleanup and fixup
For slightly less necroposting: (fireblu crystals lol)

here have a shiny pedestal
don't mind the leftmost one, I'm not done yet, but it's time to go get some delicious eggs to roast
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

hey there, heres somethin i cooked up on tinkering, and its not the best but credit has been shown
Attachments
newly redux alpha rifle
newly redux alpha rifle
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:hey there, heres somethin i cooked up on tinkering, and its not the best but credit has been shown
Oh, das hawt!

I always wanted to see the Doom Delta Rifle with retail-ish hairy arms.

Return to “General”