[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Chaosvolt

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Chaosvolt »

Might as well add the very basic spriting I did for akimbo super shotguns for a mod I released recently. Still kinda crude but it's a start at least.
SHT3A0.png
SHT3A0.png (15.65 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
SHT3B0.png
SHT3B0.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
SHT3T0.png
SHT3T0.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
The flash state shown is just a tiny taste of the utter madness that was spriting up flash states. See, I'd went with the idea of the shotguns letting you fire one barrel at a time by default, with altfire firing both barrels. Simple enough, just have primary fire fire off the left barrel, then the right barrel if it's your second shot before reloading, and altfire is the same old flash sprites the super shotgun uses normally.

So having two shotguns makes it more complicated. Four barrels, so that's four separate muzzle flash positions, and two sprites for each. Then, of course, you can still touch off two barrels at a time for the altfire. It can be done from 2 chambers loaded up to all 4 loaded, so that's three more pairs of flash sprites based on which specific barrels are used (the two on the left shotgun, one from each, or the two on the right depending on chambers available).

I think I have a grand total of 20 flash state sprites, hence why I've yet to dabble with adding distinct muzzle flash effects for incendiary or plasma shells since each will need 20 more that I'd have to edit together AND tweak until I have the offsets exactly right. XD
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

It would PROBABLY have been a better idea to use some Angled SSG sprites that both NTMAI and Angled Doom used instead of doing something that will make you lose your mind.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I would have thought handling just one shot gun was hard enough, but I suppose someone strong enough to carry 100 rockets and survive getting hit by one of them has skills that I don't understand (except possibly when wielding a sledgehammer).

I like the idea of the zombie blood splotches walking around on their own, sort of like a mixture of the particle soldiers from Obituary and Dr. Manhattan between existences, or possibly a very orderly poltergeist with an odd sense of humor.
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

DOOMPiter wrote:It would PROBABLY have been a better idea to use some Angled SSG sprites that both NTMAI and Angled Doom used instead of doing something that will make you lose your mind.
I didn't think to look for a good source besides editing vanilla, yeah. ;~;
bimshwel wrote:I would have thought handling just one shot gun was hard enough, but I suppose someone strong enough to carry 100 rockets and survive getting hit by one of them has skills that I don't understand (except possibly when wielding a sledgehammer).
At least in this case you won't be carrying 7 guns and a chainsaw at once, just up to 2 guns.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Sure, but I imagined the protagonist was the same marine who had up until recently been carrying 7 or 8 or so guns and a chainsaw!
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

bimshwel wrote:Sure, but I imagined the protagonist was the same marine who had up until recently been carrying 7 or 8 or so guns and a chainsaw!
Probably, no custom player sprites or what-have-you yet so there's no defined character to the mod like with High Noon Drifter or other yeehaw-flavored mods yet. Though since this is compatible with Chex Quest and Heretic that means you're either a shotgun-toting space marine, shotgun-toting cereal person, or shotgun-toting elf depending on IWAD...
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

A frankensprite i made specifically for Buckshootin' Season, but i decided to release the full sheet out of kindness, have at it and don't forget to credit if used!
Shellbomb_Sheet.png
Shellbomb_Sheet.png (14.23 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
(Credits: Super Piter/DoomPiter, Amuscaria, Apogee)
Chaosvolt

Post by Chaosvolt »

So I looked into Angled Doom's sprites and edited up some potential replacements to my janky edits I posted back at the top of the page. Some examples:
SHT3A0.png
SHT3A0.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
SHT3K0.png
SHT3K0.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
SHT3T0.png
SHT3T0.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
I'm still not 100% sure which I'd rather use, my janky rotations that give the impression of being canted off-center but are a bit blurred, or the Angled Doom sprites that don't seem to have any details eaten by GIMP but do look slightly odd due to the top being still more or less level.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Tried making widescreen-friendly Witchaven HUD sprites, quickly realized why it hasn't been done yet.

DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Huh. That's a... weirdly unexpected bit of widescreen-editing right there, Kinsie. But i don't think Civvie's interested in checking Witchaven a second time either. so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Kinsie wrote:Tried making widescreen-friendly Witchaven HUD sprites, quickly realized why it hasn't been done yet.
The Witchaven sprites were chroma-keyed photographs done with props and a costume were they? Making some of those wide-screen friendly does tend to make the arm positioning look very awkward as-is.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

dear lord please let someone who knows what they're doing take over
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Looks like you are doing fine so far
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

Kinsie wrote:Image

dear lord please let someone who knows what they're doing take over
Nice Revolver Ocelot sprites.
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Crusader Queen 2nd phase death. Crushed by her own machinery.
Crusader-Queen-death-smol.gif
Crusader-Queen-death-smol.gif (14.15 KiB) Viewed 2187 times

Return to “General”