The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain Ventris

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Captain Ventris »

Been playing Blood (Fresh Supply) for the first time. I’m at the end of E4 and really enjoying it. Love the weird weapons and the cast of enemies. I’ve never played a BUILD shooter other than a teeny bit of Duke Nukem on N64, so it’s been quite the experience.
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Today, I Tried talking to a person i'm currently seeing who just lost their father. Though they are grieving in their own way, ever since their father died, they have been distant. I just hope I'm not being too caring.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

irontusk341 wrote:Today, I Tried talking to a person i'm currently seeing who just lost their father. Though they are grieving in their own way, ever since their father died, they have been distant. I just hope I'm not being too caring.
They're likely just processing. IMO as long as you are respectful and give them space when they ask for it and listen to their stated needs, you're probably doing things "right".
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If people are experiencing the devastating situation that is family loss especially right now, i think giving them space and time to grieve enough to move on might be best. Being genuine or not, saying something like "are you alright?" after they lost a family member not too long ago sounds not good. Such traumatic experiences take a lot of times to cope and help themselves. It takes time. The process can be awfully longer, trust me. But eventually, they'll talk.

You certainly care about them and you're doing your best. But in the meantime, let them be alright first and wait for the answer. I'm sorry for their loss.

EDIT:

IRL stuff is really getting me but somewhat finished this one anyways. This is like either a miracle or just magical

EDIT2:

Despite all the difficulties i'm facing right now still manage to make an animation. Sometimes i feel grateful to be alive
Last edited by Captain J on Thu May 19, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I've been working primarily on my engine's scripting language lately, and it's been... Boring, honestly. I've had to do some serious refactoring recently to make the compiler more flexible and be able to implement important features, and I'm still not entirely sure where I'm going with the language.
And yeah, yeah, it's a bad idea to make your own scripting language, and such... But unfortunately, I'm really not satisfied with the options I have for scripting languages- They all have deal-breaking issues for me (usually dynamic typing or ducktyping, or both)

I don't have much to show, since it's not embedded in the engine yet, but I suppose this is something:

I'm hoping I can get back to the entertaining stuff soon.

I've also been thinking of working on my Doom mod again, but I'm not entirely sure where I wanna take it. There's a couple of different (and sometimes mutually exclusive/opposite) kinds of gameplay I enjoy, and features I think would be cool, but there's the matter of whether it'd fit in the mod, and whether it's worth adding a feature or if it's feature creep.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

So I decided to give myself a personal facelift. Something that two years ago I swore would never happen, and yet...

Long gone are the days of identifying as a videogame character. I may still be a Marisa Kirisame kinnie, but I am myself.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You're still awesome. :) Congrats on the new identity.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Marisa the Magician wrote:I may still be a Marisa Kirisame kinnie, but I am myself.
gosh! And you'll always have me around wherever you are!
RKD

Post by RKD »

Lost chance to rename it "Mary the Magician", though.

Unless the point was to stop with the Touhou references, of course. :P
revo794

Post by revo794 »

I was always curious about how Kelly Bailey did those otherworldly, hissing sounds that combine soldiers from Half-Life 2 make when they die, so I did some research and experimenting, and it sounds like I've pretty much got the technique. Basically, it's voice processed in a peculiar vocoder and a chain of compressors and filters.
Really thinking about a complete HL2 sound rework right now, although the game still sounds great enough to be hard to compete with.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I recently discovered Doom CRT port and its name speaks for itself, it simulates a CRT screen applied over the image. It's based upon chocolate doom and to me this shader makes it look the way I remember playing Doom on a 486 system without those ugly pixels we witness in modern vanilla source ports and even Crispy Doom with its doubled rendering resolution doesn't tackle with this issue as much as Doom CRT does. It takes away pixel ugliness from Doom, makes it smooth and texturing "thinner". Nothing made old graphics look as slick as this to me. Of course it can not replace hi-res rendering, antialiasing, texture filtering and hi-res graphics but for playing vanilla doom it's one of the best experiences out there.

Some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/lFXxxYz

The shader is also out there and open source and also the same developer made a special dosbox crt version that works with the same shader applied.

I haven't found any GZDoom alternative to this shader that would look as good yet.

What do you think?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

My problem with CRT shader simulations out there is that many fudge a pixel buffer and have uneven-aliased pixels as an easy way out of having it processed on a native low resolution, and I only really use them in system emulation contexts (sometimes with a signal loss shader prior to the CRT to get some of the blending old games wanted).

There's also the hi-res moire problem with scanlines and shadowmasks, as well as those who either grew up on 'trons or not, acting as an ultimate authority of CRTs on the internet.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

leileilol wrote:My problem with CRT shader simulations out there is that many fudge a pixel buffer and have uneven-aliased pixels as an easy way out of having it processed on a native low resolution, and I only really use them in system emulation contexts (sometimes with a signal loss shader prior to the CRT to get some of the blending old games wanted).

There's also the hi-res moire problem with scanlines and shadowmasks, as well as those who either grew up on 'trons or not, acting as an ultimate authority of CRTs on the internet.
Hmm... Doom is a 4:3 (320x240) game but the native resolution is not 4:3 (320x200). Is it like applying a CRT shader onto 2x native upscaled image (640x400) is worse than applying a CRT shader onto (640x480) image?
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

If you don't want "uneven pixels" you have to upscale Doom's 320x200 to 1600x1200 first.

Return to “Off-Topic”