Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately Graf is right, there. FreeDoom changes too often to do proper in-engine translation support for it. If you look at the project from even just 5 years ago versus now, they look nothing alike at all. And the changes from 5 years before that are just as big.

So doing all that work now, for a project that ultimately targets simpler source ports (i.e. Chocolate Doom, prBoom, etc) where they cannot handle all of GZDoom's features simply makes no sense, unless the FreeDoom team does this work on their own accord. Things will change, and then GZDoom will be caught left behind with the old work, causing a patchwork mismatch as things are updated.

So while FreeDoom works perfectly fine in GZDoom while in English, having a localized version of it is a lost cause right now.
mrPron
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mrPron »

The trouble is that now few headers looks really bad ("Choose skill level", "New Game" & "Which episode"), it's neither English nor Russian - it's just a meaningless garbage. Maybe they shouldn't be translated at all yet?
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

That wouldn't be fair to the rest of the games though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The text has been translated. The problem here is that the font is not compatible with the translated text. We simply cannot look after each single mod out there that doesn't care about localization (which is the vast majority.)
mrPron

Post by mrPron »

Please give me an example of a compatible font. To at least understand what it should look like.
Calinou

Post by Calinou »

I found this string with a translator comment in the language CSV, is that intended?

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... 3055-L3059
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The comment column is never used but would require too much effort to remove before exporting the CSV files.
Gez

Post by Gez »

mrPron wrote:Please give me an example of a compatible font. To at least understand what it should look like.
The problem with the font is mostly that we have no guarantee that the current Freedoom font is the final Freedoom font. By the very nature of Freedoom, it's unlikely there's such thing as a "final version" of any asset. We could perhaps offload the burden of maintaining Cyrillic fonts to Freedoom, but that's not really fair to them since it's out of scope of their project and would be hard to fit within the constraints of the WAD format.

As for what fonts should look like, take a look inside game_support.pk3:filter/doom.id/fonts/.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Precisely that. If Freedoom had a definitive 1.0 release, i.e. all assets are complete, no more changes outside of fixing bugs, yes, then we would consider adding official localization support for it. But sadly it isn't any nearer to that than it was 10 years ago.
mrPron

Post by mrPron »

I just wanted to know. If I want to make my own fonts for freedoom (because it's free, isn't? and I can fork it), what should they look like and where should I put them to make them work? Is it possible to do this? Any instructions?
Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hurykles »

hey so uhmm remember when i said that "torch is lit" and "torch is out" messages in Exhumed were untranslated and you fixed it after that?
i noticed that "YOU NEED THE KEY FOR THIS DOOR" and "INVISIBILITY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE" messages have simillar problem
also i checked if these messages are present in csv file and.... they are absent

i haven't noticed it before because i've never used invisibility and never pressed use key on the door that needs a key i don't currently have

EDIT: actually it's not just invisibility. It happens to all of powerups

EDIT 2 (after actually beating the game): ok apparently messages specific to last level are untranslated too. You know... the tower counter and message that says that control room is opened or something like that. Also... any chance to get the translation of credits? Especially messages after the credits sequence. They are probably made the same way as other subtitles so i think it could work.
Last edited by Hurykles on Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd have to check The torch messages were created on the fly from text fragments, maybe the same happens here.
mdvhimself

Post by mdvhimself »

hungarian translation seems to be in order. ive finished the hacx string translation, which was almost as bad experience as the wad's cyber maps. there are so many ice oriented jokes, i felt like a mr freeze henchman.
annnnnyway, i'm gonna try to proofread the whole thing next week, and its ready to go.

as i promised: the map fog can be disabled in raze, so ill continue with that.
mdvhimself

Post by mdvhimself »

ive proofread the gzdoom section. had some mistakes even on my part, and finalised the demon names. hungarian part is ready for launch, captain!
Gez

Post by Gez »

mdvhimself wrote:ive proofread the gzdoom section. had some mistakes even on my part, and finalised the demon names. hungarian part is ready for launch, captain!
Are Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest 3, and Harmony covered as well? Just to know how to update the [wiki]internationalization[/wiki] page.

Return to “Developer Blog”