[4.7.1] Vulkan wont initialize

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[4.7.1] Vulkan wont initialize

Post by Xtyfe »

Vulkan will not initialize when starting gzdoom up.

I have attached a screenshot to show what I get in the console. If there is any more info I can provide, please let me know.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [4.7.1] Vulkan wont initialize

Post by Rachael »

Make sure you are using the latest up-to-date drivers from NVidia.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

I just updated actually. GZDoom is the only vulkan-based game that does this.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

We need confirmation with other people with this driver that this is a general issue. The reason I'm saying this is basically this is the very first step where the code asks vulkan for its list of devices and then none are returned. It is therefore more likely to be an issue with the driver and/or combination of the driver and those various overlay programs people run that tend to be buggy in one way or another.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Just an update on this. Tried installing this driver on my computer and it works just fine.

My guess is you have some kind of third party software installed that puts itself in between GZDoom and the graphics card. They are often used by communication software (Discord, etc), store software (Steam, etc), video recording software (Discord, etc), or graphical rape software (Reshade, etc). I guess you could also try reinstall the driver on your computer to see if that helps. In any case, it doesn't seem to be triggered by just the driver.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

I did some digging and it seems like this is related to the fact that I am using a laptop with switchable graphics. What is even weirder is the fact that I was able to get Vulkan to work with GZdoom so long as I started a game straight from clicking on the exe itself. Why is that weird? Because I can't get Vulkan to work if I use a launcher like ZDL. I have no idea why though, but on the bright side, it seems to work in general.

I wonder though if GZDoom has any proper handling for switchable graphics. It seems to be quite common these days.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It did, but then Microsoft decided "we're going to handle switchable graphics ourselves" and that broke GZDoom's internal handling of it. It has not been repaired since.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Honestly, if there is anything I have learned from this, it's that microsoft did a shit job of it. >:(
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes - it doesn't even work at all, for my laptop.

Anyway you can try this - you can try starting up with "gzdoom +vk_device <#>" starting at 1 and going up - 0 is default. You likely only have 2 devices, so just try 1 and 2.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Ok, I found the problem. It was neither GZDoom nor my laptop hardware. I was using a desktop dock to launch programs and apparently, it launches dock items in a weird way such as ignoring Vulkan.

Return to “Technical Issues”