Difficulty with map command?

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
Stitchu27

Difficulty with map command?

Post by Stitchu27 »

I'm setting up a level select screen in my options menu using Menudef. It works really well, and it makes pistol starting maps a bit easier but unfortunately the maps default to Hurt Me Plenty. I was wondering if there was some way to make it so the difficulty selection screen popped up before warping you to the map? Or possibly just defaulting the maps to Ultra Violence could work too. I have the Menudef and a screenshot attached in case that helps. :)[imgur]
Attachments
MENUDEF.txt
The Menudef
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Difficulty with map command?

Post by MFG38 »

With the way you've set up the MENUDEF, there's no way to change the difficulty for the maps through the menu itself. The only possible way to change it is by changing the skill variable through the console. What you could potentially do, if you want to spare yourself the effort of rewriting the entire menu, is add an option to GZDoom's default OptionMenu that controls the skill cvar and sets the difficulty for the maps that way.
Stitchu27

Re: Difficulty with map command?

Post by Stitchu27 »

MFG38 wrote:With the way you've set up the MENUDEF, there's no way to change the difficulty for the maps through the menu itself. The only possible way to change it is by changing the skill variable through the console. What you could potentially do, if you want to spare yourself the effort of rewriting the entire menu, is add an option to GZDoom's default OptionMenu that controls the skill cvar and sets the difficulty for the maps that way.
Thank you! I was planning to rewrite the entire thing anyway just to make it look a bit nicer. Thank you for the help!

Return to “Scripting”