Tried to load HD 4.7.1b in GZDOOM builder.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Rocket1

Tried to load HD 4.7.1b in GZDOOM builder.

Post by Rocket1 »

All hideous destructor versions I tried broke GZDoomBuilder. Please help!

Unable to load resources from location "C:\Users\Bennett\Downloads\hd-4.5.0a.pk7". Please make sure the location is accessible and not in use by another program. The resources will now be loaded with this location excluded. You may reload the resources to try again.
NotSupportedException when creating data reader: Specified method is not supported.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Tried to load HD 4.7.1b in GZDOOM builder.

Post by wildweasel »

UDB likely does not know how to handle a .pk7 file (which is a renamed .7z archive). Try extracting the .pk7's contents into a separate folder (you will need 7-Zip), and then use that folder as your resource package.
Rocket1

Post by Rocket1 »

wildweasel wrote:UDB likely does not know how to handle a .pk7 file (which is a renamed .7z archive). Try extracting the .pk7's contents into a separate folder (you will need 7-Zip), and then use that folder as your resource package.
am i allowed to post the full error log? it broke everything.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Rocket1 wrote:am i allowed to post the full error log? it broke everything.
Sure post away.
However, there is no need for this if you followed wildweasel's instructions.

Just to repeat said instructions:
Use 7-zip to decompress hd-4.7.1b.pk7 into a dedicated folder.
Then load this folder as resource in UDB, for example
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You'll get a litany of errors and warnings, which can be mostly ignored
Spoiler:
And you are good to go.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:UDB likely does not know how to handle a .pk7 file (which is a renamed .7z archive).
To confirm, UDB does not support the compression methods in a 7z file. It's fine with zip files ("pk3") but not 7z ("pk7") files.

Personally, it is also my impression that GZDoom takes slightly longer to decompress pk7s compared to pk3s. So, even though pk7s tend to be slightly smaller, I feel that pk3s are a better option (UDB support plus faster loading in GZDoom and support for the format in almost any file archive handling program, including Windows explorer).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

decompressing 7z takes indeed longer - that's because solid 7z archives require decompressing data from multiple files to get the one you want. Generally it's not really advisable to use 7z for content distribution - I really don't understand why HD has to go the inconvenient route here.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for confirming and explaining.

Out of interest, would there be any value in using 0 compression even in a pk3/zip?

My guess is that it might make initial loading slightly (barely noticeably) quicker but after that, unless resources are decompressed on the fly as they are needed (I don't think they are?), it wouldn't make any difference.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Actually, decompression time can even be less than the overhead from reading more data from a file.
Rocket1

Post by Rocket1 »

i kinda just gave up after posting this. but hey, atleast the funny optimization man responded.

Return to “Technical Issues”