The Inquisitor IV (DEMO)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Shadowman

The Inquisitor IV (DEMO)

Post by Shadowman »

Greetings to all !
Meet "The Inquisitor IV" (demo version)!
So far - only one map, but it demonstrates new technologies - fully 3D-modeled monsters and objects. Unlike the previous parts, the RPG system in the game is simplified as much as possible: the player gains experience and grows in level, but there is no skill upgrade. Weapon damage and maximum mana increase with the player's level. However, there are dialogues, and a system of shops, as well as a quest log, so fans of RPG elements will not be bored either.
For models - special thanks to Guest and GRAU(ConradRDW), for English localization - Evilhog.

The plot is revealed as the game progresses, so I won't go into detail about it now. All names are fictitious, and all coincidences are random! :)
The game was tested on GZDoom 4-6-1.
The archive also contains a manual describing the weapons and artifacts of the game.
Screenshots:
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... emo-01.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... emo-02.jpg
http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads ... emo-03.jpg

WARNING!!!
It should also be warned that the map contains scenes of violence due to the plot, but which can shock unprepared players. If you don't want to see them, download the version, where the 3d model of the victim is replaced with a low-resolution sprite analogue.

Download:
Original version:
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/AzRYqhHVAM0Yag

Version with the replacement of the 3D model of the victim with a low-resolution sprite analogue:
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/gKV9k5-WL3Gu2g

Have a good game!
Colerx

Re: The Inquisitor IV (DEMO)

Post by Colerx »

looking great!!! I've quickly tried the previous episodes looking great as well, but I want to find some time to finish them all!
Good job!
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

I would like to know your opinion on this issue: do the monster models look normal or would it be better to use sprites?
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

You know my opinion:
Good old sprites and pixel art are the reason I wander in these forums and the reason I first discovered your epic mods.
Though I don't like quake style 3D animations, your previous works are so marvellous that I am more open minded about your new experimentations.
I am also curious about opinions of other members.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Aaand, just to provide the opposite viewpoint, I really like the models and they do a good job of helping this mod stand out from the crowd. They are well made and pretty consistent in style and quality.

I think that models in Doom are always going to be something of a love 'em or hate 'em issue. Personally, I'm just disappointed that we don't see more of them. :D
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Great, the score "sprites vs models" is 1 to 1 so far :D

Also, if you have any thoughts about the style of the models and in general, what we could take into account in further work with 3D models, please write.
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

Greetings Everyone,

So.. Inquisitor IV demo is out.. downloaded it, played it, finished it and enjoyed every minute of it. The use of 3D models on monsters is pretty nice and I do like both sprites and models. I think the only monster I found that wasn't 3D was the Hellknight with the shield at the tavern. After killing the Hellknight, Black Sword was dropped and was nervous to see if the stamina bar was back and thank goodness it wasn't. At the starting location to your right, the house where you shoot the switch I read the journal in there and it sounds like the people in Silverspring are suffering what we're experiencing now in real life. Will this be a small side quest in the future? Just curious.

And I wonder if we can backtrack to Tristan or Sorona :)

My fault, Black Sword is called Barbers Sword
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Cassidy wrote: I think the only monster I found that wasn't 3D was the Hellknight with the shield at the tavern.
Yes, there is no model for him and is unlikely to be, because this monster is still a bit from another universe. This is the "lion", in his honor the tavern "Lion and Barber" is named. Most likely, he will remain in the singular in the game.
Cassidy wrote:After killing the Hellknight, Black Sword was dropped and was nervous to see if the stamina bar was back and thank goodness it wasn't.
I removed the stamina for the sword, because it slows down the gameplay too much.
Cassidy wrote: At the starting location to your right, the house where you shoot the switch I read the journal in there and it sounds like the people in Silverspring are suffering what we're experiencing now in real life. Will this be a small side quest in the future? Just curious.
Yes, this is the central theme of the current project, at least for the city maps of Silverspring.
Cassidy wrote:And I wonder if we can backtrack to Tristan or Sorona :)
Maybe, I can't say for sure. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

My personal opinion is that once you introduce models, everything has to be models otherwise visual styles will clash in unpleasant/unpolished ways (eg - 3D monsters but 2D props like rocks or trees, no 3D weapons = visual mismatch).

In Quake, every object was in 3D (save for very, VERY few things like explosions and particles - those are fine as sprites because they don't have volume and are meant to be billboarded).

Again, just my opinion. :)
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

Shadowman wrote:I would like to know your opinion on this issue: do the monster models look normal or would it be better to use sprites?
I'm a big fan of your previous work and I think sprites look infinitely better. I hope the final version has at least the option to disable models and use sprites instead.
Kzer-Za

Post by Kzer-Za »

I have to say that generally I like models a lot more than sprites, especially for static objects. It is immensely weird when a static object (a box, or a barrel, or a table), when you strafe around it, rotates in place to face you, like it was alive and suspecting you of hostile intentions :) So for a static object a proper 3D model is always better than a sprite, hands-down, no question about it.

However, there are two catches. First, I completely agree with Nash that if you have models, then everything except special effects should be represented by models, because a mix of models and sprites creates a clash in styles. Second is that for living creatures models should be not only looking good in static, but also animated properly. And unfortunately (I'm talking not about this mod, but about the picture in general) I have seen poorly animated models far (by an order of magnitude) more often than well animated models. I don't know why (maybe it's just brain perceiving sprites as more schematic and thus being less critical of them), but it seems that people need far, far, far more skill to create a decently-animated model than a decently-animated sprite.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

John Stalvern wrote: I'm a big fan of your previous work and I think sprites look infinitely better. I hope the final version has at least the option to disable models and use sprites instead.
Yes, thanks for the idea. I think if there is option 1 with fully 3d-modeled monsters and objects, and option 2, where monsters and some objects (for example, victim girls) are sprites, this will suit everyone.
True, maybe someone will want sprite monsters, but 3d models of victims, or vice versa, victim sprites, but 3d monsters, then more options will be required :)
I also agree that static objects (like barrels) are best done as 3d models in any case, so, some of the decorative objects will definitely be models.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

I also wanted to ask about barrels. Some players have told me that it's inconvenient when explosive barrels explode randomly (i.e. with some probability they explode, and with some they don't). There have also been proposals to mark explosive barrels to distinguish them from the rest. And what do you think? Is it worth following this advice, or is it better to rest the intrigue when the player does not know in advance which barrel is in front of him?
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

I think it is better to get barrels marked than to encourage players to quicksave and quickload everytime they see a barrel until they got frustrated so much that they never touch a barrel again.
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Yeah the barrels need to be marked. That way the people of Silverspring don't get blown up :)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”