Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Hurykles »

I forgot to ask about that earlier but is this normal that episode names for Blood are always in english regardless of the selected language? Because it happens to all languages. Is this a Raze problem? Or is it game's fault?
RR Rides Again has simillar problem too but with just 2nd episode name
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Due to how these games work they have to translate from the text as specified in the definition file, not from some abstract label. If that does not work there must be some discrepancy between the text in the episode definition and the text label in the CSV. I'll have to run this through the debugger to check.
Hurykles

Post by Hurykles »

Also i was playing Exhumed today and i noticed that when i use the torch it shows the message "Torch is Lit" but it wasn't translated when i played in polish. I was looking into the CSV file to check if i haven't translated it and there was no reference for that message anywhere.

Edit: Speaking of the Exhumed... is there a way to turn on the subtitles that usually appear when you meet Ramses in the first level? Because i wanted to see them in action but couldn't find a way to make them visible
Attachments
raze_EZU0VUYOkp.png
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The subtitles shouls be on.

Regarding the torch:

Code: Select all

strcpy(buf, "TORCH IS ");

if (bTorch) {
        strcat(buf, "LIT");
    }
    else {
        strcat(buf, "OUT");
    }
Ouch!
The code here needs more space than having the two texts...

I added entries for the two missing texts, but obviously they need a code update to work.
Hurykles

Post by Hurykles »

Graf Zahl wrote:The subtitles shouls be on.
The thing is they are not. I just tested and replayed the first level again in both English and Polish. Nothing appears when Ramses starts talking at the end of that level in both languages. And i clearly remember that it worked in previous versions.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

The Czech localisation of Raze should be done.

I'm going through menus in GZDoom to see the translated strings in context, and one thing I've quickly noticed is that the settings sub-menu links are quite clumsy-looking in Czech because instead of ie. "Graphics options", it's the other way around (lit. "Options of graphics"). Due to the right-side aligning, it makes it difficult to quickly navigate through. Some other languages (Romance languages and Polish) have this issue too. Compare these two:

Would an acceptable solution for this be to remove the "Options" equivalent for these translations (at each translator's discretion, obviously) in OPTMENU_* strings? Russian and Serbian already do this, so I assume it's fine, but it might be a good idea for other languages to consider too.

Another thing I've thought of: Are there any plans for adding localisable subtitles to Build engine games' FMVs, particularly Blood? Considering new subtitles and a way to display them were added for Strife's Blackbird messages.

EDIT: The "Monsters Nightmare Reflexes" in the Gameplay Options doesn't seem to have a translatable string. Default player classes (like Marine in Doom) might be suitable to be translatable too (though that is stretching the usefulness a little bit).
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

In my case, for Russian and Serbian, I just omitted the word "Options" entirely and simplified it: Player, Graphics, Controls etc.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I do not speak the language, so it's a decision you have to make, as you are the one who knows how this text is read.
mrPron

Post by mrPron »

Hi there. My English is not very good. So just a picture.
Could you fix it? Please.
GZDoom 4.7.1
Attachments
Translat.jpg
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Freedoom font has never been extended to support Cyrillic. We'd need a volunteer to do that.
mrPron

Post by mrPron »

Actually Kostov already have extended freedoom fonts in his Russian translation v.0.8 - "dbigfont.lmp" and "stcfnXXX.lmp" from 192 to 223. Git. Maybe he won't mind if you use his work. Or you mean something else by the "font extension"?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This work has to be ported in a way that it does not cause problems with the way the language system is set up. I.E. the Latin letters (including those with Diacritics) must remain unchanged. It appears to me from this that the DBIGFONT here does things differently than the way GZDoom is set up - rather the static lumps that Doom (and FreeDoom) uses were simply replaced and DBIGFONT simply uses the lower Ascii 8-bit as an alternate codepage (which was the proper way to do Cyrillic before high-bit Unicode).
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Rachael wrote:This work has to be ported in a way that it does not cause problems with the way the language system is set up. […]
It should be easy. Take the Cyrillic glyphs from the image below and add them to GZDoom:

https://u.cubeupload.com/Kostov/dbigfont.png
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is still missing all Latin diacritics. A far bigger issue is that none of Freedoom's texts are translated. This was ultimately the reason why we did not add translation support for it - and that won't really change until they do a final release to guarantee we're not chasing a moving target.

(And I guess we all know that Freedoom will probably never see a final release... :()
mrPron

Post by mrPron »

All I want it's just translated titles for "New Game" and "Which Episode?" that looks ugly right now. The rest can wait.

Return to “Developer Blog”