Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Re: Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Post by Lippeth »

Just noticed the 1.5.1 update and gave it a quick test run, it's now pinned to my taskbar. Outstanding work!
Red Helix

Post by Red Helix »

I love you youda, I was the one to email you initially and you came through. Much respect, thanks!
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Tried out the latest version after having not updated in forever, and it looks like this one has both of the features I was going to request in it (namely adding multiple files at once from the file select dialog and the ability to use folders as entries), so I'd say it's pretty much complete! Thanks for all your hard work!

Edit: And of course, immediately after posting, I did think of something. Not sure how feasible it would be, but maybe there could be some sort of icon or indicator to better differentiate at a glance folders and mods in the mods list? I know folders obviously don't show a file extension, but just a thought.
youda008

Post by youda008 »

stainedofmind wrote:Not sure how feasible it would be, but maybe there could be some sort of icon or indicator to better differentiate at a glance folders and mods in the mods list? I know folders obviously don't show a file extension, but just a thought.
That shouldn't be that hard i think. Qt is already prepared for this.
SaucepanSF

Post by SaucepanSF »

After trying this out and becoming more familiar with this I can't go back to the other launcher I was using. Amazing work. Thank you for the work you put in.
MasterZeroFlash
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by MasterZeroFlash »

I have been using .bat files to launch custom mods and whatnot for the longest time, but coming back to classic Doom after a long time away from it had me forgetting how to properly set things up and also everything was ruined because of a simple change in Drive letterings and I was all like "No way am I going to go through 100+ text files to fix paths, there must be a better way to do this x.x", and I figured it was finally time to learn to use some sort of launcher, but searching for one was rather confusing (as the most popular one seemed to be ZDL, and it has seemingly been dead for a long time), but then I found this one, saw it was recently updated and also had high praise in the latest comments and went to try it out, and so far, I think this is exactly what Ive been looking for! No more 5 billion batch files in the GZDoom directory, and no more manual copying of pwads into a billion different folders for each engine etc!

I finally made an account on this forum just to say my thanks!

EDIT: It sure took some time adding everything to the launcher instead (>_<), but will be worth it in the future :)
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

I've been using Rocket Launcher for several years and have just decided to switch to this one. And... it's great! The UI is definitely much more convenient.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

New bug I've been running into. When adding an alternate save directory in launch options, it'll sometimes save to the wrong directory. This is what I mean.

Doom Runner is set to save at "D:/Doom Stuff/GZDoom/Saves/name of mod" (note that the launcher is located at "D:/Doom Stuff/Launchers/Doom Runner")

However instead the game will create a GZDoom folder and save it to "D:/GZDoom/Saves/name of mod"

Its a really weird one and only seems to happen on a few presets. The only thing I can figure is it has to do with not using the "Use absolute paths" option in the setiings.
MasterZeroFlash

Post by MasterZeroFlash »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:New bug I've been running into. When adding an alternate save directory in launch options, it'll sometimes save to the wrong directory. This is what I mean.

Doom Runner is set to save at "D:/Doom Stuff/GZDoom/Saves/name of mod" (note that the launcher is located at "D:/Doom Stuff/Launchers/Doom Runner")

However instead the game will create a GZDoom folder and save it to "D:/GZDoom/Saves/name of mod"

Its a really weird one and only seems to happen on a few presets. The only thing I can figure is it has to do with not using the "Use absolute paths" option in the setiings.
I noticed something like this too, so I ended up just copy-pasting the full path of the desired save folder into each preset >_<
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Been enjoying the updates since I last used this! Haven't used it in a long time but came back recently and really appreciate the ini copy feature. It would be nice if when you created an ini file copy it automatically switched to that ini right away, though. Good for when you use a template config to create new configs and you make a new ini file you don't have to scroll through all the different inis to find the one that matches the new config you made for your new mod set.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

the Open file location feature is really handy!

One oddity I've found is that this launcher adds the "-file" argument before every file in the mod list, and will only load anything after the last instance of "file" in non ZDoom ports unless you copy everything after the first "-file" command to the additional arguments field and remove all but the first instance. But at that point I'm essentially creating a batch file.
Last edited by Lippeth on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

Love this thing, I'm never going back to ZDL!
mamaluigisbagel

I've been having an odd bug where the program will enable/disable random files. ie I had a Corruption Cards patch enabled and "Friendly Zombies" disabled, but when I started up the program the next time, the patch was disabled and "Friendly Zombies" was enabled.
mamaluigisbagel

Just an update that I'm happy with the update to add separators, but they seem really buggy. If you move a mod up with the up arrow button when a separator is above it, it seems the mod becomes that separator.
Attachments
image_2022-09-09_101920790.png
image_2022-09-09_101920790.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Youda0008

Post by Youda0008 »

Hi guys, i'm writing from a new account because i lost access to the old one, the password reset emails never arrive and the Board administrator form has been disabled.

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:26 am New bug I've been running into. When adding an alternate save directory in launch options, it'll sometimes save to the wrong directory. This is what I mean.

Fixed, thanks.
Someone64 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:19 am Been enjoying the updates since I last used this! Haven't used it in a long time but came back recently and really appreciate the ini copy feature. It would be nice if when you created an ini file copy it automatically switched to that ini right away, though. Good for when you use a template config to create new configs and you make a new ini file you don't have to scroll through all the different inis to find the one that matches the new config you made for your new mod set.
Yea i noticed that too independently, already fixed.
Lippeth wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 am One oddity I've found is that this launcher adds the "-file" argument before every file in the mod list, and will only load anything after the last instance of "file" in non ZDoom ports unless you copy everything after the first "-file" command to the additional arguments field and remove all but the first instance. But at that point I'm essentially creating a batch file.
Reported by multiple people, already fixed.
mamaluigisbagel wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:27 pm I've been having an odd bug where the program will enable/disable random files. ie I had a Corruption Cards patch enabled and "Friendly Zombies" disabled, but when I started up the program the next time, the patch was disabled and "Friendly Zombies" was enabled.
I never had this happen and i cannot reproduce it. Can you give me some reproducible example?
mamaluigisbagel wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:19 am Just an update that I'm happy with the update to add separators, but they seem really buggy. If you move a mod up with the up arrow button when a separator is above it, it seems the mod becomes that separator.
Hmm, i can move the separators among the mods and the mods among the separators up and down all i want and this never happens.
Can you give me some more detailed example, like what exactly you clicked and pressed in which order?

Return to “Launchers”