ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
DeeDeeOZ

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Nomakh wrote:Wow, nice sprites! What are they for if this isn't secret?
It's kind of secret. These will be available over on my Civillian Sprites in Doomstyle Resource under the Goons pack as I make more. For anyone to take and use :) .

But also will be the enemy roster in a mod of mine I'm working on. (Actually a old project I made and never released, getting made with proper sprites).
It has a modern/action/crime setting so most of the stuff is pretty close to the stuff you where talking about. Irredeemable baddies who need killing, justice with a gun etc.
Will more then likely be gameplay mod for starters as I really cant get into mapping.

Still trying to figure out which way I want to take the final enemy set though, all the low level guys are thugs/mobsters then hired mercs. but can't decide if boss's go Corporation Robots/cyborgs or Occult worshiping Crazies.

Also want to figure out a way to implement lots and lots of modern/scifi firearms without overloading weapon slots.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:but can't decide if boss's go Corporation Robots/cyborgs or Occult worshiping Crazies.
Maybe I'm just not right, but I'd really like an enemy set that had regular human enemies like the ones you're making to replace things like the Zombies, Imps and Pinkies; then used various vehicles to replace everything from the Revenant on up. Maybe use a small RC Drone(i.e. the handheld Recon Drones from Frontlines: Fuel of War, or something similar) to replace the Lost Soul, a scout helicopter(i.e. OH-6 Cayuse, MD-500 series, etc. etc.) to replace the Cacodemon, some sort of transport helicopter(i.e. UH-60 Blackhawk, Mi-8, etc. etc.) to replace the Pain Elemental, some manner of heavy armored personnel carrier or infantry fighting vehicle(i.e. M2 Bradley, BMP-2 or BMP-3, etc. etc.) to replace the Spider Mastermind, and a main battle tank(i.e. M1 Abrams, T-80, Challenger II, LeClerc, etc. etc.) to replace the Cyberdemon.

But that's just me; and again, I have no experience with spriting or anything like.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Occult-worshipping crazy corporate robots seems pretty on-brand for contemporary Silicon Valley tbh
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
Nomakh wrote:Wow, nice sprites! What are they for if this isn't secret?
It's kind of secret. These will be available over on my Civillian Sprites in Doomstyle Resource under the Goons pack as I make more. For anyone to take and use :) .

But also will be the enemy roster in a mod of mine I'm working on. (Actually a old project I made and never released, getting made with proper sprites).
It has a modern/action/crime setting so most of the stuff is pretty close to the stuff you where talking about. Irredeemable baddies who need killing, justice with a gun etc.
Will more then likely be gameplay mod for starters as I really cant get into mapping.

Still trying to figure out which way I want to take the final enemy set though, all the low level guys are thugs/mobsters then hired mercs. but can't decide if boss's go Corporation Robots/cyborgs or Occult worshiping Crazies.

Also want to figure out a way to implement lots and lots of modern/scifi firearms without overloading weapon slots.

Wow... It is nice to hear it - I was searching for this kind of sprites a long ago) And about enemy set... There are a lot of ways and why don't combine them? Both of crazed cultists and hi-tech corporation 's cyborgs. And there is a trick - you can replace high tiers monsters with some kind of organised groups (it's like cyberdemon in DRLA can be replaced with Bruiser Brothers or in Colorfull Hell one of the dangerous enemies is group of spec-ops shotgunners.
Nash

Post by Nash »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:An option/tool to find out which entries are created with what mods/wads in the (g)zdoom.ini file

I just found out a bloated .ini file causes additional lag and longer load time (especially noticeable on slower pcs/ resource-heavy mods) and took time to clean up unneeded stuff (entries by mods I rarely use etc) but sometimes it's hard to judge just by looking at the filenames

I mean like you could easily guess

bdoom_ ... Beautiful Doom
DRLA_ ... Doom RLA

but when it comes like

sv_ ... ?
hx_ ... ?
pi ... ?

Especially when it's not related to a wad/mod you occasionally use and remember

While I understand it's not practical (not possible maybe) for gzdoom to do such task , maybe including the headers of the .ini entries in the mod documents could be useful in some cases , what do you think ?

Best regards
While not exactly the answer you're looking for, I get around this problem by keeping a backup of my INI at its cleanest state (setting it to Ready-only for extra protection), and every now and then I just overwrite GZDoom's INI with this backup version.

If something is listed under a [***whatever***.mod] section, it is safe to nuke, because those are mod-related settings and unrelated to the engine itself.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

openroadracer wrote:then used various vehicles to replace everything from the Revenant on up.. RC Drone, a scout helicopter, some sort of transport helicopter , some manner of heavy armored personnel carrier or infantry fighting vehicle, and a main battle tank
Sounds like someone wants a modern military set :). Vehicles mosty work better as models/voxels then sprites, or require the 16 rotations to look less janky, I always like tanks and stuff to function like a stationary pillbox that just sits there blocking stuff with rotating turrets. Got some tank/jeep/chopper sprites somewhere and the merc guys I'm making look like soldiers so maybe a modern military set could happen.
Matt wrote:Occult-worshipping crazy corporate robots seems pretty on-brand for contemporary Silicon Valley tbh
Ha.. my thoughts exactly!
Nomakh wrote:And there is a trick - you can replace high tiers monsters with some kind of organised groups (it's like cyberdemon in DRLA can be replaced with Bruiser Brothers or in Colorfull Hell one of the dangerous enemies is group of spec-ops shotgunners.
That sounds interesting, like the idea of a high tier enemy being represented by a elite hitsquad,

Also pretty sure I got my too many guns idea sorted..
Spoiler:
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:Also pretty sure I got my too many guns idea sorted..
I really like that idea, in fact a while ago I released a mod that did include just that, except only with a limited selection of vanilla Doom guns.
Though I doubt you would have any use out of that mod, due to the fact that the code is very specific to the mod itself. (and that the code is just plain bad)

Still, I really like this concept and would love to see it expanded upon as a full mod instead of just a mechanic with 6 guns like in my mod.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

DeeDeeOZ wrote:
openroadracer wrote:then used various vehicles to replace everything from the Revenant on up.. RC Drone, a scout helicopter, some sort of transport helicopter , some manner of heavy armored personnel carrier or infantry fighting vehicle, and a main battle tank
Sounds like someone wants a modern military set :). Vehicles mostly work better as models/voxels than sprites, or require the 16 rotations to look less janky, I always like tanks and stuff to function like a stationary pillbox that just sits there blocking stuff with rotating turrets. Got some tank/jeep/chopper sprites somewhere and the merc guys I'm making look like soldiers so maybe a modern military set could happen.
RE: Modern Military Set: Well, really, anything from about WWII forward, if I'm honest. Like, say, WWII Germans similar to something like Medal of Honor, with the Spider Mastermind replaced by the Sd. Kfz. 222, and the Cyberdemon replaced by a Tiger Tank, for instance; or a more modern set based on the North Koreans from Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, using a BMP-style personnel carrier to replace the Spider Mastermind, and a T-54 tank to replace the Cyberdemon.

RE: Tanks in classic DooM: You might want to talk to PillowBlaster about that. He scripted a fully operational voxel model of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert "Apocalypse" Tank(referred to as "Warpocalpse") in his Russian Overkill mod. If he'd be willing to help, we might see more voxel armored fighting vehicles, with multiple weapon systems each. I'd look forward to that myself.

And as far as other vehicles to replace the other mid-tier monsters, I figure you could just use a light recon car(Jeep, Humvee, armed pickup trucks) with various different weapon mounts: unguided recoilless rifle or single-shot rocket launcher for Knight and Baron replacement, TOW missile for either Revenant or Archvile replacement, automatic grenade launcher or flamethrower for Mancubus replacement, heavy machine gun(Browning M2, DSHK) for Arachnotron replacement.

I'd like that, if anyone could pull it off.
UTNerd24

Post by UTNerd24 »

If it hasn't been done already I wouldn't mind having prboom's Fullscreen HUD in GZDoom. Also, I found the Unity Port's dynamic crosshair to be really handy since I tend to use freelook.
For those unfamiliar with Bethesda's re-release, it's still auto-aim, but the crosshair changes color when you are lined up with something the auto-aim can reach. An enemy could be an elevation, but as long as the crosshair is red, you will be able to hit it.

EDIT: It seems that the Boom hud existed in the past, but has since 404'd. My only reason for wanting the HUD is cos of the Health and Ammo being represented in bars. This might just be a 'me' thing, but while I can easily see numerical counts, sometimes I lose track of my health/ammo and end up dying when I could've healed up. I feel like bars would be more noticeable imo.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

total conversion mod idea for medieval game, with close to zero magic, lots of melee combat and other hipster ideas - that can backfire real bad.... blasphemer, heretic, shizm... what other words are in dictionary... apostate ? did anyone use this name already ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
story - who cares
---------------------------------------------------------------------

monsters

majority are humans, tier 2 could be mounted horseman, camel rider, elephant, bear... maybe some wolf to spice stuff. Giant owl? griffon? this is this magic 10% of the mod.

warrior with a shield and hand weapon - he is protected from missiles - like 100%. You hate centaurs? This would be common enemy. You kill him by coming close and smacking him with club. The shield could be broken.
warrior with spear (s) - he throw them. but if you come close he stab you.

if you kill monster he go to agony stage, where he is Dead in game terms. But you can always finish him off - gib him. You sadist.
some later in the game there would be new monster: MONK. he would ressurect warriors from agony stage, by dressing their wounds. Like Archvile. Monk attack? some range one because he would die in melee instantly.

-----
GHOST monsters

instead of transparet sprites or not, there would be division into

ARMORED or not monsters. Armored monster would be resistant to many weapons - swords, arrow... but blunt weapons hurt them.
-----------

main HP would be armor. Every hit would lower the Armor (instead health). player would pistolstart every level with 60? armor. If player take heavy hit, some percentage would reduce health immediatly (like 50 dmg = -40 armor, -10 health). If armor drop to 0 he take damage to health. Common pick up would be armor pieces (helm, chainmail shield, gloves). Health would be not restorable between level (except rare artifacts ofc like soul sphere).

-------------

weapons:

starting weapons is 1h blunt weapon - a club? - i think i would give peace to hexen mace. its slow and deal rather low damage, but it dosent broke, and hurt armored monsters.

then its a spear - long reach and can be thrown to impale monsters. Base range weapon.

1h sword - fast and have cut damage, would provide lots of blood and better gore effects (cut of head, arms..). more effective, but gets damage during using. And player would need to pick up another sword after some time.

above can be combie with torch (fire damage) OR shield (block) - shield gets damage overtime.this would be like base gear. going left hand free, could allow to use granades?

advance gear:

2h axe - areal attack, killling multiple monsters at once
2h hammer - more historical one, but still goofy. Hammer would deal massive damage to single monster, also damage armored.

i think 2h weapons would be very tiring to use, thats why player would need to pick up food, to restore energy. Or the hammer gets too heavy.
-------------------
range weapons

bow - need to draw the string and aim - pretty slow, but its range. Do nothing to armored monsters (and shielded).
crossbow - take time to reload, but you can shoot quickly. Still do nothing to armored monsters (and shielded).

they need ammo pickups arrows and bolts, that are drop from archers and crossbowmens. Whom would be easier to kill that troopers. I think i even introduce innocent, harmless peasants, so the archers can meld in. [would there be some penalty for killing wounded warriors or bystander peasant? maybe]

------------------

what would make the melee combat not suck?

a little longer melee range than usuall.
monster melee trigger would be shorter, than monster attack range, so it would be harder to step back.

if you block this would stun monster. So he is open to be 1hitKO.

if you hit monster he would always respond - pain frame, stun state, knock back, drop shield, get scared and start running away, could be knock down and stand up after a while (like a zombie), player need to guess if he is agonizing or only prone for second. Get wounded - visible injury on the model.

player would be OVERPOWER as DUCK. He would beat everything left and right. And only succumb if he is swarmed by enemy. so supprise back stabs, reduce armor points. Or if fighting some late tier monsters.

-----------------
how would you set monster to fire? how would you freeze them? or electrocute them?

fire is doable - tar, maybe some oil... freezeing - i would need some vacum, compression... electricity can come from broken space ship...
-----------------

pickups:

speed - yes, default walk speed. Sprint only for short distance and it would consume energy - so you need food. I thinking about mounting a horse? Like you summon horse... nah this change height of player.

armor pieces
new shield to replace broken ones
torch - source of fire
food - for 2h heavy weapons - maybe axe need alcohol and hammer need solid food? to have different pickups
spears to throw them
arrows bolts,
sword to replace damage one

cloak (normal cloth one) - invisibility - "hey you are not servant of Lord Ugububluug!"
bag of money - to bribe monster

offensive items? mmm....
magic nonsense? mmmm... not yet...
book - ? map,... hints in game... paper for ciggarets... book could has a minimap, which would show the location of monsters... not sure, but would be cool if player could open the book "read something" and hide it back. or maybe find new pages. not sure what the advatage could be.
keys -ofc

===========================================
monster need only few sprite frames, so no fancy smoooth animations.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

An entire mod set underwater. The weapons would be underwater themed like harpoon guns and the Russian APS. The first enemies would be leeches and piranhas, and the bosses would be a giant squid or Cthulhu. Call it Thalassophobia or something.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

A multiplayer mod where players are everyday employees in a UAC facility, having to constantly do maintenance and tedious science tasks, while surviving the occasional disaster like a demonic invasion without falling behind on work. Doing better work means getting paid more so you can buy better weapons, etc. Basically you just see how long you can make it without everything going to hell and everyone getting eaten. Call it “It’s a Livin’!”
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

So, there's something of a "mini-mod" idea I've had in my head for a while. It'd be scripting-heavy, but I think it'd be interesting.

It's called "Mega Damage". Surprisingly, it's NOT a mod about mega-powerful overkill weapons. Instead, it's like a house-rule style interpretation of a rule seen in some tabletop role-playing games, where taking large amounts of damage all at once has a chance to instantly kill a character.

The idea of having it as a DooM mod would be similar: If an actor that possesses health points loses more than half of their starting health all at once, the actor is immediately gibbed. However, it would have to have a secondary limit that requires the gibbing damage to exceed a certain minimum threshold.

Basically, what I'm suggesting here is that the script for "Mega Damage" would read the spawn health of all actors on the map, and keep track of them. If any actor's "Mega Damage Threshold" would be less than 50 damage, they would instead require a minimum of 50 damage to be instagibbed. Otherwise, it would have to be half of their spawn health, rounded up to the next whole integer, plus one. I.E. a Mancubus would require 301 damage to instagib.

The biggest problem I can see here is issues with determining what level of damage should instagib the player. For that, you'd have to keep a dynamic record of the player's health. As long as it's 100 or below, the player is instagibbed if they lose 51 or more health all at once. If player health is above 100, then you'd have to begin actively tracking the player's health to determine their "Mega Damage Threshold" in order to not gib the player if it wouldn't apply to a monster with equivalent health. Secondarily, you'd also have to calculate the absorption level of the player's armor, if any, which could considerably raise the amount of damage needed to instagib a player; i.e. a player that just snagged a MegaSphere would require a hit that cost them 101 health, but that would have to be calculated after the 50% reduction from the blue armor, thus requiring a hit that dealt at least 202 damage to break the "Mega Damage Threshold".

Additionally, to make the mod work on weakened targets and/or with weapons that fire multiple projectiles simultaneously, the mod would need to be able to delay the point at which an actor that has its health reduced to zero is actually killed, in order for the script to determine whether the target would be gibbed.

Interestingly, I think "Mega Damage" would make it easier to gib Imps, but harder to gib Zombiemen.

Lastly, I'd really like if "Mega Damage" could be more or less universal, seeing as it would be actively reading the spawn health of actors as the game runs. I fear there may be processing overhead costs, especially with the active tracking of players' health levels; but hopefully, it wouldn't be too much.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Has anyone made an exact replica of that 3D maze screensaver from Windows 95 into a playable Doom map? That would be cool to see.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

lizardcommando wrote:Has anyone made an exact replica of that 3D maze screensaver from Windows 95 into a playable Doom map? That would be cool to see.
Considering that each maze it generates is basically completely random, I feel it might be better to try to translate a whole bunch of them into a megaWAD, rather than just use one.

Return to “General”