Adding SkullTag's runes: Questions!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Adding SkullTag's runes: Questions!

Post by Major Cooke »

I'm currently in the process of adding ZScripted SkullTag runes that work exactly as their counterparts do for submission. But there are a few questions I have...

1. Would it be wise to add an option to enable auto switching of runes when picking up another?
2. Whom should I ask for permission to use the sprites from? I figure just asking Torr might not be enough so I'd rather be 100% safe than sorry.

And if I cannot secure appropriate permission, I'll need to go on the hunt for spriters. I do have a few in mind if needed, but hopefully it won't be necessary.
Gez

Re: Adding SkullTag's runes: Questions!

Post by Gez »

Major Cooke wrote:I'm currently in the process of adding ZScripted SkullTag runes that work exactly as their counterparts do for submission.
If I remember correctly, ST's runes work from a specific pool of powerup types, instead of sharing it with, well, powerups. That's one bit I'd suggest to change, if you kept it. :wink:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Agreed. What we do not need here is a separate pool of powers, they should go into the same one if they don't already exist.
Some of the underlying powerups already exist, but a few have been deliberately not ported, e.g. the weapon spread rune - and any submission adding that hack feature as it was will be rejected by default. Just a small warning. ;) If you want to port it, we need a better approach.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

If anyone has any ideas for what to do with the spread rune, I'm open for ideas. What does it currently do?

My plan was to actually inherit from powerups themselves.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It added some hacks to the actual firing functions - which is an absolute no-go because it's too restrictive and very, very dirty.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

How would you prefer it be handled instead? Or should it be outright excluded?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The most obvious thing would be to make that rune activate the regular weapon powerup and define the alternative fire modes as the powered up sister weapon.
But I have no idea how that might interfere with existing mods that already use the feature.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Realistically I'm not sure how the spread effect as it exists in Skulltag could be handled cleanly. Perhaps it's best to leave it behind.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The only clean way would be, like I said, as a powered up sister weapon with its own attack sequence. But that'd come with its own set of problems.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

My first thought was, what if there could be an in-between point where the functions call on a virtual that's executed on the powerups, like ModifyDamage is called for taking damage. But... that might generate recursion issues.

I think I'll leave it out for now in the mean time.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

How should I handle adding credits for where they're due? In the event I get permission to add them into GZDoom. And, should they be part of the GZDoom extras .pk3?
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

Major Cooke wrote:Whom should I ask for permission to use the sprites from? I figure just asking Torr might not be enough so I'd rather be 100% safe than sorry.
I thought you would have to ask Carnevil. Didn't he copyright them or something?
If I remember correctly, there was some issue relating to Carn that stood in the way of Skulltag's assets being included in Zandronum rather than being in a separate pk3. I could be wrong though.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The assets themselves are mostly derived from Doom alpha sprites, IIRC.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Interesting. I'll see if I can reach out to Carnevil then, if he's still around.

Also been pondering about adding ot her zandronum elements, i.e. doomsphere, and the skulltag specific health/armor bonuses, wonder if folks would approve...
ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

I think two things are needed for the theoretical spread powerup:

* Allow weapons to opt out from implicit powerup handling, meaning it handles that itself somehow.
* If the weapon doesn't opt out, hitscan/projectile attack functions aim the attack by whatever angle the spread is supposed to be to the left/right and then finally perform the normal attack. Since IIRC they use a helper attack function there is no need to add a dirty hack to all the attack functions and the changes can be consolidated to the respective hitscan/projectile helper functions.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”