''Powered by GZDoom'' - A showcase page

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

''Powered by GZDoom'' - A showcase page

Post by Redneckerz »

Currently ZDoom.org hosts the Spotlight and the About pages for all things about ZDoom. But, especially in recent years, GZDoom has become a platform for new, independent games. We know Harmony, but there is so, so much more. Many of these games go to Steam, but as the hub for all things GZDoom, the only way to know this is through people making lists. Gez and I both have a very extensive list of these at hand. What is missing, is a central hub that showcases GZDoom the best.

Because GZDoom has evolved beyond just a engine for Doom games and even beyond a framework for mods into a fully featured platform for independent games, i suggest a Powered by GZDoom page, listing all those mighty fine examples that are now achieved through GZDoom.

I realize crafting such a page takes a block of time that most likely is now used for other, more important matters (Such as Raze).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ''Powered by GZDoom'' - A showcase page

Post by Rachael »

We'd need someone dedicated to building and updating content for such a page. It sounds like a good idea but I am not sure I know anyone who is willing to spend the time on such a page.

Regardless, we have ways of publishing pages both from the wiki and from the forum to the front page. We could even have someone do it in raw HTML if that was their thing. So options are definitely open for someone who would want to contribute.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Rachael wrote:We'd need someone dedicated to building and updating content for such a page. It sounds like a good idea but I am not sure I know anyone who is willing to spend the time on such a page.

Regardless, we have ways of publishing pages both from the wiki and from the forum to the front page. We could even have someone do it in raw HTML if that was their thing. So options are definitely open for someone who would want to contribute.
Interesting. So what can be done is to craft a new ''Powered by GZDoom'' category and fill that up with separate pages, which can then be pushed to the front page. That could work.

These pages wouldn't be tremendously long but would contain things like a plot summary and some other info along with a screenshot of the logo (Much in the same vein DoomWiki is doing for its mapsets).

I gladly could assist with that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

What we'd need would be a few screenshots and a short descriptive blurb for each title.

I suppose it won't surprise anyone if making a thread like this one was motivated by the intent to make wiki pages later. In fact I have created a skeleton for just the (G)ZDoom games [wiki=standalone games]here[/wiki], though at the moment it's just a bare-bones list.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you make wiki pages with the intent of showing them on the site - simply prefix them with the "ZDoom:" prefix as usual. You'll likely want to create a template for the navbar for this, since it's quite likely you'll want the same navbar on every page. I may have to manually link each page to the front page code, but hopefully I can find some way to do it automatically. If you can get a few pages going, along with a generic intro "front-page" if you will for it which will go on the main nav bar, I'll see about bringing the content to the main site, hopefully in a somewhat convenient way.

Oh and it goes without saying - it might be a good idea to put protection on the pages.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If and when it gets to a stage where it would look nice on the main site, it can be moved to the ZDoom namepsace and protected then. At the moment it'd be premature.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alright. I don't have a lot of experience with it, so I will just follow your lead with that. :)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Gez wrote:What we'd need would be a few screenshots and a short descriptive blurb for each title.
That is exactly the idea im trying to sell :)
Gez wrote: I suppose it won't surprise anyone if making a thread like this one was motivated by the intent to make wiki pages later. In fact I have created a skeleton for just the (G)ZDoom games [wiki=standalone games]here[/wiki], though at the moment it's just a bare-bones list.
Thanks for the links, ill give it a whirl. I am not too experienced on using the more in-depth tools of a wiki (Everything i've made is written by hand, no template used) but could be fun to experiment a bit with.

I don't expect this to be a short-term thing given there is quite literally dozens of standalone GZDoom games (And quite a few are free/not on GoG/Steam) but hey, its good publicity for the platform. The more GZDoom games the merrier.

Return to “ZDoom.org Suggestions”