Figuring out how to use GZDoom on Linux Mint [news topic split]

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
pfred1x

Re: Figuring out how to use GZDoom on Linux Mint [news topic

Post by pfred1x »

Did you ever get it to work?
I define $DOOMWADDIR in my environment which Doom honors and then keep all of my game files there and the engine finds them fine.

At the command prompt (no dollar sign attached to the variable):
$ export DOOMWADDIR="/path/to/some/directory"

You can put that into your ~/.profile file and it'll just load into your environment automatically. Without the $ prompt. Just:
export DOOMWADDIR="/path/to/some/directory"

Another command:
Now the $ gets a little confusing the first one (which you don't type) is the prompt and the second one (which you do type) tells the shell you are looking for a variable:
$ echo $DOOMWADDIR

This is what mine looks like:
$ echo $DOOMWADDIR
/home/pfred1/bin/share/games/doom

That displays the variable. You'd see it issuing the "env" command which shows your entire environment.

My game can also use pk3 files too. I build the engine from source and just include everything. Right now I'm running:

GZDoom g4.4pre-34-gb453c87b7 - 2020-02-08 03:07:06 -0300 - SDL version
Compiled on Feb 8 2020

My binary is linked to libz.so.1, libbz2.so.1.0, liblz4.so.1, liblzma.so.5 and they all do decompression. You use the ldd command to see what shared objects your binary is linked to. Something like:

$ ldd /home/pfred1/Build/gzdoom/gzdoom/build/gzdoom

ldd likes a full path to the file. Which in my case spits out a list 63 lines long. So it is linked to a lot of libraries.

$ ldd /home/pfred1/Build/gzdoom/gzdoom/build/gzdoom | wc -l

That's interesting. My old binary is linked to two libraries my newer engine isn't linked to. But that's unrelated.
omxgamer127
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by omxgamer127 »

Hi man ,it is possible to define or change the default iwad location directory (DOOMWADDIR/DOOMWADPATH) by a command line parameter
for gzdoom/lzdoom
i need it it to create an autoplay menu builder for my repack
the problem is my iwad/pwad data and my sourceport is in different folder
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

There's no command line option to add a search path beyond manipulating the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. You can however pass full paths to the files you want to load in "-iwad" or "-file". Also GZDoom searches the current working directory for iwads by default, so unless you need a specific working directory you can always cd to the iwad location.
suknavid
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Figuring out how to use GZDoom on Linux Mint [news topic split]

Post by suknavid »

I'm fairly certain the issue is that the files in question are not in the current working directory.
Doughnut1321
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Figuring out how to use GZDoom on Linux Mint [news topic split]

Post by Doughnut1321 »

I found the easiest way in Mint 20.2 to avoid path references is to keep your wads or pk3 files in the same directory that gzdoom looks for iwads. It will go to that directory automatically upon execution to look for them. Keep your documentation for mods in folders (same directory) with a recognizable reference to the mod's name in the title of the folder, but obviously keep wads in the directory gzdoom is looking for them. In the case of the snap installation it's " ~/snap/gzdoom/current/.config/gzdoom/" . If you have a series of files that load together you can use comments nested in the "[" and "]" brackets in the title. File manager will see them, but apps will not.

Return to “Technical Issues”