Polyobject Flat Rendering

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Razumen

Polyobject Flat Rendering

Post by Razumen »

I noticed Sonic Robo Blast 2 actually supports flat rendering for Polyobjects: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/PolyObject
While SRB2 isn't based on zdoom, it would be amazing if this could somehow be ported into GZDoom.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Polyobject Flat Rendering

Post by Redneckerz »

What would the immediate benefit be for GZ?
SRB2 is based on Doom Legacy and has branched off aeons ago, effectively becoming its own custom engine (With ditto forks, mind you!)
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Polyobject tops and bottoms are something people have wanted for quite a while. 3D polyobjects currently have no top or bottom, which looks quite bad when you can get higher or lower than them.
Razumen

Post by Razumen »

Redneckerz wrote:What would the immediate benefit be for GZ?
The immediate benefit is we'd have polyobjects with visible tops and bottoms, instead of hollow, see-through ones.

Combined with some other tricks, and we can have convincing platforms/trapdoors/etc. that can move horizontally and vertically, without need to rely on other hacky methods to mask the lack of them.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Razumen wrote:Combined with some other tricks, and we can have convincing platforms/trapdoors/etc. that can move horizontally and vertically, without need to rely on other hacky methods to mask the lack of them.
Well, its already can be "done" with Model + Any invisible actor with colision + ActorMover. This is what i do and works Nice!
But certainly would be a big deal have this feature.
Razumen

Post by Razumen »

Logan MTM wrote:
Razumen wrote:Combined with some other tricks, and we can have convincing platforms/trapdoors/etc. that can move horizontally and vertically, without need to rely on other hacky methods to mask the lack of them.
Well, its already can be "done" with Model + Any invisible actor with colision + ActorMover. This is what i do and works Nice!
But certainly would be a big deal have this feature.
That's what I meant by hacky methods. Models aren't ideal as they break the original aesthetic and have to be custom made to fit every use.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

May I please just remind everyone that the feature suggestions forum isn't for suggesting workarounds for a more desired straight-forward feature?
Gez

Post by Gez »

If this were to be implemented at some point, I'd want to suggest looking at the k8vavoom specs to make a compatible implementation.
Razumen

Post by Razumen »

Yeah, having it carry objects objects when moving horizontally would have to be addressed as well, looks like the k8vavoom specs do allow for that, as well as rotational movement.
boris

Post by boris »

When the feature was first implemented in k8vavoom I made a simple example map. If it's not clear what's the benefit of 3D polyobjects is then I don't know.

Razumen

Post by Razumen »

Ugh, I could really use that in my current map...
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

This definitely would be handy to have, especially for rotating platforms (or anything with non-square shapes), since actors with models wouldn't have accurate collision in those cases.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I supposed if I wanted to make a actual drawbridge I would need something like this. A lot of doors, platforms and what not I'm used to making in Unreal 1 don't translate very well to Doom without the ability of PolyObjects to have flats on them.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Smell of 3DPolys in the Air.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A bunch of "I want this too"s isn't going to make this happen any faster. Yes, it is a popular feature, but it's not as simple as it would seem, especially since GZDoom's renderer is still bound by Doom's old BSP system. Not saying it's impossible, just I doubt it's going to happen in the very near future.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”