csZDoom (aka LZandronum?)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

csZDoom (aka LZandronum?)

Post by drfrag »

Well it's time for a new fork. You know the refrain "from the creators of <insert all previous stuff here> now comes <insert name here>".
In my book it makes sense. I wanted to play a stable good & old C/S fork with friends online, turned out Zan 1.x didn't work very well in the end. I merged all the stuff from 1.4 alpha and then some later things. I added some QOL enhancements such as working sound limiting, you know the issue with brute servers and loud sounds. In fact this also runs brute doomer (unfortunately). I also added a clean old random implementation from ZDoom32 and fixed other problems.
I wanted to play vanilla and you can also run old mods, the fork is based on the same ZDoom version as the latest Skulltag (a bit later than 2.3.1). But i think the number of mods you can play doesn't matter much, 10 years after its creation Skulltag only played Doom online and pk3s didn't work online either, however it was very popular. Besides monsters weren't gibbed online, i'm talking about 0.97c3. I see now most people always play the same mods, they are huge and slow and many times servers have a lot of files too.
I've also added the double spawn DM flag becouse it's fun and you can join ongoing survival games for a short period of time (60 secs by default). Of course we could add more gameplay enhancements. If there's interest we could create a mini community online and post our gamez in the #netplay-sessions Discord channel. I think i'll do.
In case it works well and it should, i haven't tested much but i tested it with a guy from south america. :)
I've included a fork of Doomseeker 0.12 called Doomseeker Zero, it works well with its natural limitations. For instance to join some Odamex servers you'd need to add the password in the command line and there are several known bugs. The custom plugin (based on old Zandro's) hides Zandro servers. Since the protocol is the same we can use the Zandro master server.
Edit: there's a -nomapinfo parameter for some Boom wads that didn't run, unfortunately network initialization takes place later so you must use it with both the server and the client.

https://github.com/drfrag666/csZDoom/re ... ag/cs1.4.0

The sources are here:
https://github.com/drfrag666/csZDoom/tree/master
https://github.com/drfrag666/doomseeker ... ch_ds0122b
Last edited by drfrag on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: csZDoom (aka LZandronum?)

Post by Graf Zahl »

You really should use separate Github repos for your various forks, as lumping it all together makes your download section on Github a hassle to navigate.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you need help splitting your repos I have access to two datacenter machines that can pretty much instantly mirror and re-upload GZDoom without any hassle. But yeah I agree with Graf - it is a pain in the butt to navigate a mega-repo where all the different (and barely related) source ports are stored in one place.

I would suggest creating an organization and put all your various related repos on that.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I tried to create a Zandro fork but i already had a GZDoom fork. I did not know that there was a free version of organizations. But that thing looks complicated, may be i can create a ZDoom fork now and move the old projects there. But i usually don't do releases for old projects anyway.
I'll look into the organizations thing too.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can create arbitrary number of empty repositories, and push complete history there.
Organization is free and fully functional for open source projects. There is nothing complicated here, read their docs if something isn’t obvious.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Yes a new fork, thank you drfrag. Ill take a nosedive into this today.
Some questions and comments:
* You say its based off latest Skulltag but on GitHub you mention its based off Zandronum, referencing 1.4 Alpha and 1.3. I feel this needs to be more clear.
* OpenGL rendering is supported and dynamic lights work out of the box It might also be useful to denote which GZDoom version is used. Zandro 1.0 used something beyond GZDoom r323, and 2.0 bumped it up to ZDoom 2.5.0 and GZDoom r900 (revision). Considering csZDoom is Zandro 1.3 based, the revision should be anywhere inbetween r400 and r900. Since you are a specific fork, mentioning the comparable version or exact revision (Something about GZDoom 1.1.04 i imagine) would work well for visibility, aswell as mentioning which OpenGL version is used.
* Do note that current-day Zandronum sees less activity and that the latest activity focuses on Q-Zandronum, a 3.0 fork. I dont think csZDoom (Or CSZDoom?) interferes with that, though.
* What does CS stand for?
* There is a Multiplayer Doom Discord for these multiplayer ports, along with the Zandronum one.
* Ill make a page for this on the relevant wiki's.

Personal opinion: I think there is certainly potential in a fork of Zandro based on older renderers whilst maintaining compatiblity. Unlike GZ, CSZ does not need the latest and greatest due to its nature. I feel this could be a good MP fork. Ill see what i can do to make this more known amongst some prominent figures in the MP community.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Then it's better that you join today's session in #netplay-sessions at Discord. But seems nobody wants to play online. I said it's based on the same ZDoom revision as the latest Skulltag but it's based on Zandronum 1.3 and the base GL revision it's the same. Read Zandronum history, AFAIK it's not based on any GZDoom version they merged the 1.1.04 renderer (same as i did with ZDoom32), then they added later patches. I think it requires GL 1.1 but not all cards, not really important now. Besides it won't run on XP, both the engine and the Doomseeker fork are VS 2017 builds. BTW the latter was a pain in the butt to compile as i had to compile the full Qt library using the same compiler and CRT (i updated the instructions they were wrong).
You know skulltag used code from csDoom, cs stands for client/server of course. I don't think the fork will be popular, i don't pretend to compete with other forks i just want to play online. I don't care about the old renderers, there are other differences.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:Then it's better that you join today's session in #netplay-sessions at Discord. But seems nobody wants to play online.
How late is this? Because i may just want to try it out under csZDoom.
drfrag wrote: I said it's based on the same ZDoom revision as the latest Skulltag but it's based on Zandronum 1.3 and the base GL revision it's the same. Read Zandronum history, AFAIK it's not based on any GZDoom version they merged the 1.1.04 renderer (same as i did with ZDoom32), then they added later patches. I think it requires GL 1.1 but not all cards, not really important now. Besides it won't run on XP, both the engine and the Doomseeker fork are VS 2017 builds. BTW the latter was a pain in the butt to compile as i had to compile the full Qt library using the same compiler and CRT (i updated the instructions they were wrong).
Checked the history and indeed its very much a customized 1.1.04, which is well enough. Thanks, that was the clarity i need.
drfrag wrote: You know skulltag used code from csDoom, cs stands for client/server of course. I don't think the fork will be popular, i don't pretend to compete with other forks i just want to play online. I don't care about the old renderers, there are other differences.
Doh, i just feel stupid now. Client/Server ZDoom, duh.

So okay, you don't compete with other forks. What is the purpose of csZDoom then compared to someone grabbing the equivalent Zandronum 1.3?

I am not attacking you, by the way. I just want to help get people interested in your line of work :)

Evening edit: csZDoom is now on the ZDoomWiki.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

So you think it's important enough to be on the wiki? Hope it works well, apparently it does but i've done little testing. xD
I've put up a Doom the way we remember it server but i don't think Doomseeker will find the wad. I might join in a while.
Well it's different, compare both if you want specially on a wide screen monitor. Zandro 1 is dead anyway.
BTW have you ever played online?
Note: if you create a server recent Doomseeker has an enhancement to show servers broadcasting to LAN, here you must still add a custom localhost server.
Edit: i'm not sure it will compile on linux and MacOS. It should but i haven't tried, for windows i had to do some changes to use a more recent compiler.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:So you think it's important enough to be on the wiki?
Ofcourse it is! Every ZDoom fork of yours is on the Wiki already, so why not csZDoom? Its clear and cut what you want to do with it.

And nobody else has made so many so forks as you do, so that by itself is interesting :)
drfrag wrote: Hope it works well, apparently it does but i've done little testing. xD
I've put up a Doom the way we remember it server but i don't think Doomseeker will find the wad. I might join in a while.
Well it's different, compare both if you want specially on a wide screen monitor. Zandro 1 is dead anyway.
BTW have you ever played online?
I should introduce your fork to the multiplayer Discords and perhaps DoomWorld aswell and let them have a go at it.

I have played online, and for Doom i recently tried ZDaemon.
Borg

Post by Borg »

Hmm.. Is it worth the effort?
I play online (private servers) and im super happy with Zandronum 2.1.2 + some bugfixes backports from 3.x
It works pretty well. I still might to hunt some server related crashes..
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Played with it while testing out my Doom map, came across the following:

1) It does not recognise Doom2's BFG edition IWAD (doom2bfg.wad)

2) I am unable to make hud-less screenshots. Will the 'togglehud' command as implemented in e55a93522 for GZDoom be implemented in csZDoom as well ??

3) Multiplayer games start with no monsters. It might be strange but is/will it be possible to start WITH monsters ??
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Borg wrote:Hmm.. Is it worth the effort?
Probably. I did it to play myself and i learnt something about Qt. Compiling it required quite a bit of effort tough, it's a VS 2017 build too.
Zandro 1 and 2 had serious problems, Zan3 is much better.
BTW i don't know if it runs on OSes other than windows.
Apprentice wrote:It does not recognise Doom2's BFG edition IWAD (doom2bfg.wad)
I'll look into it.
The HUD thing is not a priority.
Apprentice wrote: Multiplayer games start with no monsters.
How do you start the game? The default flags are set to start with monsters but are you playing DM? What happens in Zandro?
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

drfrag wrote:How do you start the game? The default flags are set to start with monsters but are you playing DM? What happens in Zandro?
With the -deathmatch commandline parameter. When playing singleplayer/cooperative play, the monsters appear as normal. Also happens in Zandronum.

Return to “Game Engines”