[UPDATED] ZDoom32 2.8.6a (ZDoom is undead)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [UPDATED] ZDoom32 2.8.6 (ZDoom is undead)

Post by drfrag »

Thanks. LZDoom always supported GL3 and GL4 besides GL2 with a few missing GZDoom features, anyway it's an older renderer. I know i said i was going to drop GL2 and XP but some bad things happened. In short i suffered anaemia and depression and i continued backporting fixes (that was easy) then there were serious bugs and while i was at it recently i backported more stuff (and there were some incomplete things here and there). Besides the pandemic continued and there's the hardware shortage. Also i don't like leaving things buggy/unfinished. LZDoom is not fully compatible but TrailBlazer right now works with the latest devbuild. Actually i rarely play mods anymore, just check if they run sometimes.

Now on ZDoom32 i did some cleanup but in the end i've added a proper new UM skill level with the double spawn thing (now it can be hidden with menu_hideextreme). I've also backckported compat_oldrandom (and it's clean in ZDoom since it's pre-ZScript). I've also ported other recent compat options for closer vanilla compatibility and they are active in the Doom modes too (they should work but i haven't done much testing). It has some more fixes too but i don't remember what they fixed.
I've marked the release as pre-release for now so it doesn't appear as the latest.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/tag/2.8.6
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote: Now on ZDoom32 i did some cleanup but in the end i've added a proper new UM skill level with the double spawn thing (now it can be hidden with menu_hideextreme). I've also backckported compat_oldrandom (and it's clean in ZDoom since it's pre-ZScript). I've also ported other recent compat options for closer vanilla compatibility and they are active in the Doom modes too (they should work but i haven't done much testing). It has some more fixes too but i don't remember what they fixed.
You had me going there when you said UM skill level and i thought you mean't you were doing UMAPINFO support (Otherwise known as UM) :lol:

Eitherway, glad to see a update to this, drfrag.
drfrag wrote: I've marked the release as pre-release for now so it doesn't appear as the latest.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/tag/2.8.6
Question of clarity: Would you want this new release not yet see mentioned/changed on the ZDoomWiki and DoomWiki pages of ZDoom32 until it is fully released?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's just becouse GitHub has a link to the latest release and right now it's 3.87c from LZDoom.
I decided to leave the new skill becouse now you can hide it and it's fun, it's actually a DM flag.
It's a bit inconvenient to have two releases in one, the N exe is a non SSE2 ASM MinGW build without GL and still runs on Win98.
Edit: i forgot to mention the old enhanced iwad picker, i think it was from an early QZDoom.
Edit2: also the d3d_nogammaramp cvar for blue light filters.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've moved the releases to https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases

https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases/tag/2.8.6

There was too much stuff in my gzdoom repo.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:I've moved the releases to https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases

https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases/tag/2.8.6

There was too much stuff in my gzdoom repo.
Ill change the Wiki articles accordingly and update to 2.8.6. Ill also change links accordingly.

Thank you for giving it a separate page. That will clear things up. :D
Last edited by Redneckerz on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've moved the latest three releases. and there will be a 2.8.6a version very soon. Older versions were buggy, i think i even deleted some long ago. But previous releases will stay in the same place.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:I've moved the latest three releases. and there will be a 2.8.6a version very soon. Older versions were buggy, i think i even deleted some long ago. But previous releases will stay in the same place.
Yes, perfect :) Just briefly tested the OGL version and works like a charm.

With a bit of luck i will move to a new rig soon (Yes, finally!) because we have a rejected desktop at work that i might be able to take over. Intel i5, HD4600.
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

drfrag wrote:I've moved the latest three releases. and there will be a 2.8.6a version very soon. Older versions were buggy, i think i even deleted some long ago. But previous releases will stay in the same place.
Great to hear ! :D Looking forward to next update :)

For some reason DRLA works best for me with ZDoom32 ; silky smooth with no lag at all , and I wasn't able to set the hud to my liking on LZDoom , no idea why :roll: also with LZDoom I had numerous slowdowns on big maps(Even more slowdowns than supposedly more-resource heavy mods like MetaDoom and Project Brutality). On DRLA loading screen it says 'works best with ZDoom 2.8.1 btw. It means It's made for and most compatible with 2.8.x releases , maybe ? dunno
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20210721_101141.jpg
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [UPDATED] ZDoom32 2.8.6a (ZDoom is undead)

Post by drfrag »

I've released 2.8.6a and ZZDoom 2.9.0 too. I see ZZ as a continuation of ZDoom32, no GL this time. There are no plans to continue neither of the two though.
About the changes in 2.8.6a i don't remember right now, some things come from ZZ. Mostly fixes and some minor features, and an option in the menu to hide the new skill levels like i said.

https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases

Edit: there was a bug in the carry scroller code, new lowres modes, added sv_damagefactor*, am_showkeys_always...
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:I've released 2.8.6a and ZZDoom 2.9.0 too. I see ZZ as a continuation of ZDoom32, no GL this time. There are no plans to continue neither of the two though.
About the changes in 2.8.6a i don't remember right now, some things come from ZZ. Mostly fixes and some minor features, and an option in the menu to hide the new skill levels like i said.

https://github.com/drfrag666/zdoom32/releases

Edit: there was a bug in the carry scroller code, new lowres modes, added sv_damagefactor*, am_showkeys_always...
Comes both in GL and software it seems. You used to indicate the GL version separately (1.9.4 i believe). It was not done here. On purpose?

Either way, did a quick test with OpenGL rendering:
MAP23 (Barrels O Fun) has a ton of colored lights. This might just be me (and i would have to check) but upon facing the barrels, framerate drops significantly aat 1280x1024. I recall this was not the case with 2.8.5c.

Before ill test this further, could you confirm that you didn't change anything in the GL rendering/lighting code between 2.8.6 and 2.8.6a?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's the same as always. The GL renderer is the same and i don't see any performance difference, that map has a lot of lights.
BTW like i said the N version without GL is a MInGW build and runs on 98, also uses ASM and not SSE2.
Moreover GZDoom32 was never a thing. Both the gzdoom32 and zdoom32 branches are part of the same project and it's ZDoom32.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:It's the same as always. The GL renderer is the same and i don't see any performance difference, that map has a lot of lights.
BTW like i said the N version without GL is a MInGW build and runs on 98, also uses ASM and not SSE2.
Moreover GZDoom32 was never a thing. Both the gzdoom32 and zdoom32 branches are part of the same project and it's ZDoom32.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess Barrels o Fun hammers it for dynamic lights then. :)
ChrisHighwind
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ChrisHighwind »

I have a couple questions regarding this:

- Would this be able to play mods that require later versions of GZDoom?
- Would this be feasible to port to low-end consoles, like for example, the Playstation Vita? I'm wanting to suggest this to a Vita homebrew dev but I need to make sure it's worth suggesting, as the dev has some troubles with people suggesting stuff be ported to the Vita that either can't be ported or wouldn't work well enough to be feasible.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ChrisHighwind wrote:I have a couple questions regarding this:

- Would this be able to play mods that require later versions of GZDoom?
Probably not; if this is roughly equivalent to the ZDoom 2.8.x series with fixes, it's going to be missing out on the entire ZScript system, among others. That'll pretty heavily restrict what it's able to run.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I replied on Discord.
It's based on a ZDoom from december 2016 before ZScript, so compatibility is between GZDoom 2.2 and 2.3
ZZDoom is based on 2.4.0
About vita no idea, was ZDoom ported to the vita? If it was it should be portable as well

Return to “Game Engines”