[UPDATED] ZDoom32 2.8.6a (ZDoom is undead)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: [UPDATED] ZDoom32 2.8.5 (ZDoom is undead)

Post by drfrag »

But which mod? Which titlescreen? Is it a picture inside a TITLEMAP?
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

drfrag wrote:But which mod? Which titlescreen? Is it a picture inside a TITLEMAP?
Sorry for not being clear enough on the issue. I've been running BD v21 with Tomtefar's extension when I encountered the problem.But then I tried running Doom 2 with no mods and it's still the same.I've tried LZDoom , which doesn't have this problem , but have lags with anything other than vanilla Doom (being on a 10 year old laptop doesn't help :roll: ) I can run Zdoom32 , ZDoom LE and also Zandronum without any performance problems but since Zdoom32 is the one based on the later GZDoom souce (between these 3) I would like to use Zdoom32 when I'm not playing online or playing with Complex CF

Thanks
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

For me it runs fine. The mod doesn't replace the title screen, it's not a png and it comes from doom2.wad.
BTW ZDoom32 it's based on a very late ZDoom source and then i merged an older GL renderer, the last version of the fixed function renderer.
New version coming soon so still not completely dead, minor update tough.
ClessxAlghazanth

drfrag wrote:For me it runs fine. The mod doesn't replace the title screen, it's not a png and it comes from doom2.wad.
BTW ZDoom32 it's based on a very late ZDoom source and then i merged an older GL renderer, the last version of the fixed function renderer.
New version coming soon so still not completely dead, minor update tough.
I see.For some reason the vanilla Doom 2 title screen appears as a black screen , as well as any custom title screens coming from the wads
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've tested on GL2 hardware and it works well, only from time to time the screen remains black after changing to certain resolutions fullscreen. Must be something common for those old versions on certain hardware.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Also happens to me, though also in Zandronum and older versions of GZDoom. Might be some VRAM thing but gl_flush in the console generally fixes it for me.
This also affects certain textures when starting on a map with -warp or +map, but only on ones with more texture variety or resolution I think.
ClessxAlghazanth

TDRR wrote:Also happens to me, though also in Zandronum and older versions of GZDoom. Might be some VRAM thing but gl_flush in the console generally fixes it for me.
This also affects certain textures when starting on a map with -warp or +map, but only on ones with more texture variety or resolution I think.
Yes , gl_flush in the console seems to fix it for me , too. I don't have the issue on the latest devbuild of Zandro , though

I wonder what causes it and if there is a permanent fix (a setting in the .ini maybe) for it ?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Win32GLVideo::SetResolution also calls GLRenderer->FlushTextures(), try switching to windowed mode and back or a different resolution.
ClessxAlghazanth

drfrag wrote:Win32GLVideo::SetResolution also calls GLRenderer->FlushTextures(), try switching to windowed mode and back or a different resolution.
Tried it , but changing resolutions seems to have no effect on the issue :( Not a big problem , though

By the way , do you have any future plans for this port ?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Actually there are no plans, some time ago i asked about more complete DECORATE support (some things were added in the ZScript branch before the merge) but there was no interest. I'll release another version one of these days nonetheless.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:Actually there are no plans, some time ago i asked about more complete DECORATE support (some things were added in the ZScript branch before the merge) but there was no interest. I'll release another version one of these days nonetheless.
I for one would happily support that decision, as ZDoom32 is a more than competent port that just gets too little recognition these days.

For legacy hardware, your forks are first choice bar none.
ClessxAlghazanth

Redneckerz wrote:
drfrag wrote:Actually there are no plans, some time ago i asked about more complete DECORATE support (some things were added in the ZScript branch before the merge) but there was no interest. I'll release another version one of these days nonetheless.
I for one would happily support that decision, as ZDoom32 is a more than competent port that just gets too little recognition these days.

For legacy hardware, your forks are first choice bar none.
Yep , ZDoom32 has (again) become my go-to fork after LZDoom dropped the GL2 support after 3.86 :)

I'm sure there are other doomers in the same boat who would really appreciate further decorate support and fixes 8-)

Your forks really need more recognition :P
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Yep , ZDoom32 has (again) become my go-to fork after LZDoom dropped the GL2 support after 3.86
You mean 3.87? In the end it didn't i'm just about to release 3.88. I could elaborate but...
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:I'm sure there are other doomers in the same boat who would really appreciate further decorate support and fixes
Like i said there are no plans for ZDoom32 and even for LZDoom. That would be a lot of work and only to make a few more mods work.
ClessxAlghazanth wrote:Your forks really need more recognition
Thanks but i think only ZDoom32 and LZDoom can be considered somewhat good.
The old ZDoom LE was not that great and i abandoned it. Now ZDoom Classic is mainly a preservation project with a few QOL things behind the scenes, the old one... ugh.
BTW "there's another one".
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:
Yep , ZDoom32 has (again) become my go-to fork after LZDoom dropped the GL2 support after 3.86 :)

I'm sure there are other doomers in the same boat who would really appreciate further decorate support and fixes 8-)

Your forks really need more recognition :P
I think the ZDoom-forks are more or less stagnant, and LZDoom is rather current. Even so, they provide great ''baseline''s for users to test mods against.
drfrag wrote: You mean 3.87? In the end it didn't i'm just about to release 3.88. I could elaborate but...
Would be a surprise!!
drfrag wrote: BTW "there's another one".
A new fork? Oh, i'd love to hear about that!
ClessxAlghazanth

You mean 3.87? In the end it didn't i'm just about to release 3.88. I could elaborate but...
Really ? I thought LZDoom switched to GL3 with 3.86 , reading the thread (conversation between you and Graf few pages before)

Which I also thought was the reason for the performance drops on my potato (on occasions like playing slaughtermaps with mods)

I think LZDoom (and ZDoom32 and ZDoomLE & ZDoomCL for even more legacy hardware) are lifesaver for people who don't have/can't afford a decent gaming rig , but want to play with recent mods which use Zscript and Decorate etc

Your ports are the main reason I'm able to enjoy stuff like DoomRL Arsenal , Beautiful Doom , NashGore , HXRTC , Dusted's Pandemonia , Insanity's Requiem , Colorful Hell and a tons more :D (I've never got Trailblazer to work properly for some reason tho :roll: )

I enjoy vanilla Doom and play it on PrBoom from time to time , but if it wasn't for your ports , I wouldn't be able to enjoy all these marvelous effors by the community 8-)

Return to “Game Engines”