WidePix v1.3 [complete/final] - GZDoom 4.7.1

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marcelus

Re: WidePix v1.0 released with GZDoom 4.5!

Post by Marcelus »

Nash wrote:PS, I don't know how to write this in a way that doesn't sound dick-ish but I'll keep it plain: Please don't post your works in my thread. This isn't a community project. I am currently not taking in submissions. Make your own thread if you want to showcase your artwork.
sorry, I see some older posts from other people... Maybe would be fine add this in description
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I am kinda curious how Heretic graphics are going to look
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

No idea how you pull this off, but even on the prototype pics it's already impossible to see where the original borders of the image used to be. Incredibly smooth and accurate. High-quality work that could have been as well released by Raven themselves.
Nash

Post by Nash »

[post removed because of dead links from the file renaming on github. new preview pictures will be made separately]
Last edited by Nash on Wed May 19, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:Image
I much prefer that to the earlier version you've shown which had a big hole in the wall, but the discrepancy between the SAINT1 in the original area and the one on the right, which is smaller and darker, kinda bugs me.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Fair point. In the original image, the wall does seem to get darker to the left, and pasting a new copy of SAINT1 to match the existing one makes it stick out too much.

The hole in the wall one was inspired by the scenes from the Game of Thrones TV show involving the destroyed Iron Throne. I wasn't sure if anyone would appreciate/agree with such a drastic creative liberty...

Anyway, I'll look at smoothening out the new version.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This one is impressive... how did you make it so seamless and perfect?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nashm ... /e2end.png
Nash

Post by Nash »

Tormentor667 wrote:This one is impressive... how did you make it so seamless and perfect?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nashm ... /e2end.png
- Some creative copy-pasting from the center domes, and also the ground (you can see repeating patterns if you look hard enough)
- Blending in some CC0 terrain from Pexels
- A lot of patience to manually repair/blend the seams (painting strokes by hand with the brush tool, and at times, pixel-by-pixel to make a seam "disappear")
- Praying that the 256 colour palette will do most of the work for me :mrgreen:

Ironically, the underwater intermission actually took less time compared to the others, despite my initial fears for it (it did seem hard and overwhelming when I was starting out; I had no idea how I was going to do it. Considered modeling the domes from scratch and then trying to perspective-match that, but dropped the idea as I felt that would take much more time than is necessary).
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

They look fuckin' great.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thank you.

Sorry for the dead links. The files were converted to Doom patch format and as a result, browsers can't display them anymore. I should really stop hotlinking the images directly from the Github in future.

Anyway, Heretic and Hexen has been fully widescreen-ified. Expect to see them in GZDoom 4.6.0!

Gonna take a break... whew...
Nash

Re: WidePix v1.1 (Heretic and Hexen update!) [GZDoom 4.6.0]

Post by Nash »

WidePix v1.1 is now shipped with GZDoom 4.6.0!

Source port authors: there have been updates to the Doom graphics. Please update your copies!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Congratulations Nash, you have outdone yourself with these. Perfect work!
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Good lookin' shit. Now bing on the Strife widescreen!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Finally I can get rid of the amateurish widescreen sprites I made for Hexen as placeholders. This is the real deal. Also, good that there's finally a new GZD release after these hundreds of Github commits since v4.5.0.

I think I will replace the Heretic/Hexen statusbars in my Fullscreen Statusbar Mod with these. They are better than anything released until now.

*Update*
A variant that could be considered for the Heretic statusbar would be to have the bar end on both sides with the skulls (instead of continuing the dark background bar beyond their original limits). I thought that looked quite cool on other variants before. The horns could stay they way they are now, though.
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

This is awesome work. :wub:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”