Separate settings for horizontal/vertical mouse sensitivity

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Separate settings for horizontal/vertical mouse sensitivity

Post by Graf Zahl »

I always thought that the vertical sensitivity is far too high but my new mouse made it even worse. This setting should be separated into two.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Isn't that the point of the "Turning speed" and "Mouselook speed" in the options menu? To control horizontal and vertical sensitivity respectively?
Biff

Re: Separate settings for horizontal/vertical mouse sensitiv

Post by Biff »

Graf Zahl wrote:I always thought that the vertical sensitivity is far too high but my new mouse made it even worse. This setting should be separated into two.
I don't understand. We already have mouse_sensitivity for a global setting, m_pitch for vertical sensitivity (look up/down), m_yaw for horizontal (turning) sensitivity and m_forward for walk forward/backward sensitivity. ???
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Arrrrggghhhh. This happens when you never look into the menus to configure something. I always configured the game by altering the CVARs themselves and never really bothered to look at the way how things are done... And now that you say it I had to find out that m_yaw was totally off... (Shouldn't it be mouse_yaw and mouse_pitch so a console search can actually find them?)

So please forget I ever wrote this. Finally my problem has been solved - after far too long. :)
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Graf, of all people, I figured you would have checked the console! :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I checked the console but not the menu (for 'mouse'.)' Yes, I know. It's a bad habit but in the end just the result of far too many badly designed game menus. Most suck. I rarely use them.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Graf Zahl wrote:Arrrrggghhhh. This happens when you never look into the menus to configure something. I always configured the game by altering the CVARs themselves and never really bothered to look at the way how things are done... And now that you say it I had to find out that m_yaw was totally off... (Shouldn't it be mouse_yaw and mouse_pitch so a console search can actually find them?)

So please forget I ever wrote this. Finally my problem has been solved - after far too long. :)
I know what you mean. My first thought on reading your post was, "Vertical sensitivity too high? Well that's weird. I could swear in ZDoom everything is far more sensitive horizontally than it is vertically..." and so I started up ZDoom and ran around and then eventually went into the mouse options menu. Sure enough, my turning speed is just a little bit less than twice as much as my mouselook speed.

This is all understandable though... most games nowadays only seem to have a single mouse sensitivity option, or if they have more than one, they're buried somewhere amongst the CVARs and never in the options menu.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

Graf Zahl wrote:I checked the console but not the menu (for 'mouse'.)' Yes, I know. It's a bad habit but in the end just the result of far too many badly designed game menus. Most suck. I rarely use them.
I don't mind DOOM's, but all the stuff the ports add do make it a bit confusing. Half-Life's was good, but kinda slow. UT2004 has a perfect menu. Doom3's is nice as well. Wait is it me or do I not have a problem with game menus? :P
Belial

Post by Belial »

UT's windows-styled menus were the best.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok, my opinion:

ZDoom's menu is good - among the source ports certainly the best. What I don't like is menus like Doomsday's which take you completely out of the game.
Half Life's menu sucked.
And I never played Doom3 long enough to get used to its menu.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Graf Zahl wrote:What I don't like is menus like Doomsday's which take you completely out of the game.
Doomsday's menu is ok, but it's cluttered with too much unnecessary options.
Graf Zahl wrote:Half Life's menu sucked.
Agreed.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

And you can't make a new launcher with the SDK. :cry:

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”