a_startound mono/stereo manipulation flags

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

comet1337

a_startound mono/stereo manipulation flags

Post by comet1337 »

ways to change a sounds left and right channels in-game
such as flipping a stereo sounds channels, squashing a stereo sound into mono, and forcing a mono sound to either the left or right channel
even only playing one side of a stereo sound, and on a spcified side

why?
im currently using a system with a_startsound that fakes stereo sound variation by using a pair of left/right only mono sound files, and adding slight differences to the variables
if i could simply set which channel a sound plays in, i could cut the number of sound files in half, even more if i could use stereo sounds the way mentioned above
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: a_startound mono/stereo manipulation flags

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think the OpenAL backend can do what you want. This is something for Chris to answer.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: a_startound mono/stereo manipulation flags

Post by Chris »

OpenAL Soft itself can do most of this. You can't change the volume of each channel individually, but with the AL_EXT_STEREO_ANGLES extension (added in OpenAL Soft 1.18), you can move a source's left and right channels horizontally around the listener, including swapping their positions, putting them both in front, or both to one side or the other. GZDoom's sound backend interface doesn't have a way to control this though, that would need to be added for something like this to be possible.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”