Loading specific folders for different mods

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Loading specific folders for different mods

Post by cubebert »

I'm not much of a coding expert, so please let me know if this isn't feasible, but Nash's CBlood gave me an idea that I've been meaning to suggest for months. While CBlood works perfectly with stock Doom, some mods that replace the palette like the BTSX series render some blood colors looking off (for example, the cacodemon's blood color is set to a deep blue, but BTSX's death sprites for the monster gives it a far lighter blue).

I wanted to suggest a feature for GZDoom such as a lump file or an addition on GAMEINFO or anything that allows a pk3 file to load data off of a folder based off of a file's checksum. For the example I've mentioned, CBlood could have a way to detect btsx_e1a.wad, the first main file for the latest version of BTSX Episode 1, using CRC32, MD5, or another method to load a folder of the same string and get files from there. This way, the blood color for the cacodemon and other monsters can be changed for BTSX without affecting any other mods or files.

If something similar has been requested or if I'm being unreasonable with the code required for this feature, please feel free to shoot this idea down. I'd just figure that it would be useful for mod authors who'd wanted to apply maximum compatibility with other addons.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Loading specific folders for different mods

Post by m8f »

Kind of DIY?

Fullscreen Status Bar Mod by NightFright and 3saster does this for status bar adjustments. It calculates MD5 sum for STBAR lump and then checks it against known WADs to apply adjustments.
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cubebert »

That's interesting how it looks for specific MD5 strings. I'm not familiar with ZScript, but I do know that there's a guide somewhere on Github that documents most of the functions and commands it has. I probably should've mentioned that the feature would be similar to the filters folder that applies different lumps to separate IWads but on a smaller level with addons. If MD5.Hash does the trick with applying files on a case-by-case basis however, then this request might be redundant since ZScript seems to cover the job.
3saster

Post by 3saster »

It should be noted that the MD5.Hash method is not a native GZDoom method; it comes from a custom MD5 class that I wrote myself. That being said, you are welcome to (and I encourage you to!) use it in your own projects, as long as the terms of the copyright in that file are followed (namely, give me credit for it, and the copyright notice must be included).

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”