I wished for Better Graphics

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

I wished for Better Graphics

Post by Guest »

I intended to write about this way before, apparently laziness got in the way. However, I don't know much about technical matters so I won't be able to communicate my remarks in much detail.

But first, let me thank you for introducing the big logo and menu in GZDoom 4.50. It's a small touch up but goes a long way in making the pause and start screen look prettier.

Now, the two issues that I would like to point out are:

1. There's an unappealing effect in the way the textures/sprites are scaled. It's especially noticeable for me because I play exclusively 320x200 mode. I am a big fan of this pixel size and this aspect ratio. The effect in question is most visible when the doomguy loses or gains momentum. The textures then appear to "unwrap themselves" as if made of chunks of squares a few pixels each. This is visible on higher resolutions too. I wonder if it's possible to have cleaner way those pixels are rendered. Maybe there's some better shaders or solutions for displaying Doom in 320x200.

2. I clearly have a glitch in the graphics on all resolutions, maybe there's a fix to that. Namely, there is a horizontal strip of shifted pixels that appears when turning. This happens on all resolution settings. Is there a way to fix this? Is this a problem with GZDoom?

I'm often effectively turned off by Doom because I keep noticing those two things and find myself wishing that there's a new version of GZDoom coming with improved graphics. Please consider that there are people who appreciate Doom in beautifully pixelated form and as such it deserves to be attended to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: I wished for Better Graphics

Post by Graf Zahl »

2 happens when you disable vertical sync. In that case the engine creates more frames than the display can show and you only see parts of each causing this tearing effect. The remedy is easy: Enable vertical sync in the video mode menu.

No idea what you mean with 1., though.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:2 happens when you disable vertical sync. In that case the engine creates more frames than the display can show and you only see parts of each causing this tearing effect. The remedy is easy: Enable vertical sync in the video mode menu.

No idea what you mean with 1., though.
Perhaps its the pixelated nature of the textures as apparent in software rendering? In stills its easily noticeable, when moving, due to the movement the pixellation appears.

GL renderers filter these things, so they look filtered in movement but also when standing still.

Just my hunch.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it's that, no, cannot be fixed. Not even the best filters in the world can overcome the lack of pixels at such low resolutions
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:If it's that, no, cannot be fixed. Not even the best filters in the world can overcome the lack of pixels at such low resolutions
And perhaps, on second thought, OP is also thinking of a lot of retro games that use big chunky pixels as part of their artstyle - as a deliberate choice.

For the rest, i dunno. GZ is the only Doom port that has physically based shaders i believe (if possible) and a full post-process pipeline, so its not like you can't create beautiful things with it (Total Chaos comes to mind, for one, Rise of Abyssal for two, Simon's Destiny for three)

And GZ has been the engine of choice for quite a few retro shooters in either development or just released.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

To me, 1 sounds like it might be tearing too. So yeah, turn VSync on, then see if your issues are gone.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I'm pretty sure 1 is related to the fact psprite offsets are floating point and don't "clamp" to the screen's pixel size, so they appear to "distort" as the weapon sways. Though honestly this is only noticeable with filtering disabled. If you have trilinear filtering and use an upscaler like NormalNx you won't even notice it.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Graf Zahl wrote: The remedy is easy: Enable vertical sync in the video mode menu.
And say goodbye to half of your frame rate in this process.
And no, your video card doesn't matter.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

in VSync mode your framerate simply cannot exceed your refresh rate, that's the entire point of the thing. It waits for your monitor to report being done drawing a frame before doing anything else
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Logan MTM wrote:And say goodbye to half of your frame rate in this process.
Any FPS beyond your monitor's refresh rate (usually 60) is absolutely useless, you'll never even see the difference because the monitor can only show frames at a certain rate to start with.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Well, i've got some problems with my mod. There is slashes cuting my textures everywere.
Turn VSynd On really solve that BUT, looks like my FPS down to 10. Maybe 11! :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Then yeah - you obviously should run with vsync off, and you're one of the few cases where I would actually say and support that view.

However, in most cases, people's graphics hardware have the capability of exceeding 60 fps, and vsync helps to keep the processor cool and reduces a lot of workload that would be wasted because the user just simply never sees most of what gets rendered.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Rachael wrote:
Logan MTM wrote:And say goodbye to half of your frame rate in this process.
Any FPS beyond your monitor's refresh rate (usually 60) is absolutely useless, you'll never even see the difference because the monitor can only show frames at a certain rate to start with.
What about the advent advertising of 120 fps games on console provided you have a telly that supports it and 120+ fps rendering (usually 144) in general?

The latest Call of Duty has a 120 fps mode on console, which, ofcourse, drops resolution, but the blokes at Digital Foundry were impressed by its implementation (On top of an already pretty good working 60 fps update).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well - if you can show a 120 hz refresh rate there's no reason not to use it. The negative effects of vertical sync are far lesser on such hardware, also, but it's getting into the realm where screen tearing becomes far less problematic and noticeable, anyhow.

Honestly, the days of 60 hz are numbered, anyhow, but it will be a while before the newer sync technologies become more widespread, right now it's a luxury for the people who absolutely really want to sink their cash into it. Ultra HD is the prodigy child of the day, and that's what people seem to be going for, at least for now.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's one thing that's often forgotten with such high refresh rates, though:

They literally reduce the time the CPU has to produce both the game logic and the scene rendering in half, so this may end up having to choose between higher frame rates and more complex gameplay.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”