Models (planes) billboard?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Logan MTM

Models (planes) billboard?

Post by Logan MTM »

There is any change to bring models billboard back? I know its seems useless but trust me, modders always find a way to use everything.
There is the thing: I did pbr for all dropable guns but, as you know, sprites don't work with pbt, Models does. The big problem is the fact that plane models needs to billboard.
I did some tricks to emulate this behaviour creating new actors that modeldef calls plane models with the gun sprite as skin. The A_FaceTarget do the magic but isn't perfect.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Models (planes) billboard?

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I wasn't aware that models even could billboard like a sprite.

I don't recall that even being a thing.

Do you know what the flag/feature was called by chance? I could try looking around.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, models cannot billboard, the sprite related projection math is not run for them. And "modders will find a way to use everything" is not a good justification for a bad feature.
The problems this may cause down the line cannot simply be discounted for some shortsighted convenience reasons.
And the one you mention is not good enough. The reason why sprites cannot do PBR is because they have no dimension and no orientation in the world. A billboarded model also has no dimension and no orientation in the world so it'd be subject to the exact same problem, i.e. PBR would have to be disabled.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

SanyaWaffles wrote:Do you know what the flag/feature was called by chance? I could try looking around.
No. Thank you dude.
Graf Zahl wrote:The reason why sprites cannot do PBR is because they have no dimension and no orientation in the world. A billboarded model also has no dimension and no orientation in the world so it'd be subject to the exact same problem, i.e. PBR would have to be disabled.
I got it.
There is any way to emulate BILLBOARD? I'm almost there :cry:

Gez

Post by Gez »

Some model formats (in other engines; not talking about GZDoom here) allow to have parts of the model billboarded -- it's often used for trees, where the trunk and branches are regular 3D geometry but foliage is billboarded, creating a dense foliage look from any direction without having to actually have thousands upon thousands of polygoned leaves.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Well I don't know if officially is possible to do that in GZDoom, Graf said No but unoficially is done.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”